comedy to hide sadness

kuze

I usually resort to being a bit of a joker when i get depressed. outwardly i see myself as being annoying and not funny but its hard to stop, and usually it ends by someone being offended by something i said, and me feeling depressed some more. its very self destructive really, when i feel down, i basically purposely become a prick, to match my self loathing.

Lord Baltimore

I usually resort to being a bit of a joker when i get depressed. outwardly i see myself as being annoying and not funny but its hard to stop, and usually it ends by someone being offended by something i said, and me feeling depressed some more. its very self destructive really, when i feel down, i basically purposely become a prick, to match my self loathing.

I know what you mean man. Even tho i try not to sometimes the best way to cope with misery is to spread it around to someone else. I try not to resort to that but when i do i try an make sure to take it out on somebody who deserves it (jerk bosses, douchebag coworkers, etc) instead of my friends or family

Darryl

Watch for the side effects- when you are to be serious, it will be treated as a joke.
Can't really blame them as you have set the presedence.;)

What the people don't understand is your angry at yourself and this is the only way you can display what's built up in you.

However your part of a big family on here that does understands.

Warm wishes to you.

Tiercel

I never try to upset others, but I've always been a smart ass. And I wholeheartedly thank my father for that trait.

Sometimes my humor isn't appreciated, so I keep most of my thoughts to myself. When I feel my mood starts to sink I turn to humor to cheer me up. The lower I feel, the more desperately I grasp at it until eventually my sadness tints my humor with bitterness. That's usually when I just shut up and don't say anything.

So when I seem to not be posting as much as I usually do, now you all know why.

;)

I just had a fight with my girlfriend for this exact thing! I hate opening up to people because I'm afraid I'll annoy them with my problems. So I Try my best to always appear happy and when I'm not happy at all I try hard to hide it with stupid jokes. Apparently she finds it extremely annoying :/

Maybe we should just say how we're really feeling?

Kiwong

A lot of the worlds comic geniuses dealt with an inner sadness. Spike Milligan for example had bipolar disorder.

I can relate to this. I also make jokes and stuff to hide my sadness, especially around friends. I keep myself strong, by saying funny things about my situation or another subject. But for me it works, it makes me feel more positive.
But I know it's good to show your sadness, sometimes, and talk the pain off your chest, but It's hard for me to start a conversation about that.
Because it brings alot of emotions, but I'm happy there's a site like this :)

Dr. Doom

I used to a lot. Like I tryed really hard to make people laugh, I was kind of like Chris Farley, throwing my self in front of everybody making fun of everybody, cursin, being wild and people thought I was funny, but it made me depressed whenever I annoyed people which was frequently. So in 10th grade I talking to anybody because I thought I'd see that same person who annoys people.

So now I take all that out on my dad, and he thinks Im funny but I annoy him a lot too.