Clenching Jaw Constantly

Something-Vague

Does anyone else constantly clench their jaw due to anxiety? I do, and it leads to pretty bad headaches and face pain. Then, I constantly get anxious over the fact that I might be clenching my jaw due to anxiety -.-

Any suggestions to just not or at least do so less? Or anyone who experience something similar?

Hoppy

I sometimes do it so badly that I can taste blood. I never really managed to overcome it. Being aware of it and actively working to relax it is about the only thing that works for me. I did read something about chewing gum, but then I did that obsessively and it got worse.

Good luck.

chibiXphantom

it's a difficult thing not to do. its not even when im stressed out or anything. i just find myself doing that, though usually when i'm really focused on something. i just have to me more conscious of it and make myself stop when i find that i do that. maybe work on training yourself to hold your teeth slightly apart naturally. when you're stressed, maybe clench your fists instead?

dentist says i have TMD because of it (temporomandibular joint disorder). get jaw pain, teeth show signs of slight wear, my jaw clicks/pops, and i get headaches a lot. with what you said about headaches and face pain from clenching teeth, maybe you should see a dentist.

Something-Vague

it's a difficult thing not to do. its not even when im stressed out or anything. i just find myself doing that, though usually when i'm really focused on something. i just have to me more conscious of it and make myself stop when i find that i do that. maybe work on training yourself to hold your teeth slightly apart naturally. when you're stressed, maybe clench your fists instead?

dentist says i have TMD because of it (temporomandibular joint disorder). get jaw pain, teeth show signs of slight wear, my jaw clicks/pops, and i get headaches a lot. with what you said about headaches and face pain from clenching teeth, maybe you should see a dentist.

Oh gosh! The clenching even when concentrating ALSO sounds like my situation. I appreciate the advice. I really should see a dentist; I'm due for it. I just wish I had the means of doing so. :\ Thank you for the suggestions! Hopefully I can figure this out!

Something-Vague

Also, I did some more researching on the condition you mentioned and saw other symptoms that I also have: neck aches, dizziness, shoulder pain, and tinnitus. :O

Something-Vague

I sometimes do it so badly that I can taste blood. I never really managed to overcome it. Being aware of it and actively working to relax it is about the only thing that works for me. I did read something about chewing gum, but then I did that obsessively and it got worse.

Good luck.

I just feel like the more I focus on it, the more I do it? Kind of ironic. The more I worry about it happening, the more I do it anyway, agh. Thank you for the suggestions, though, and letting me know I'm not alone :)

Megaten

Heh yeah....its caused me quite a few pain issues over the last few years. One day it got so bad I couldnt open my mouth or swallow without it causing a sharp pain in my right ear. If I know im gonna have a stressful week I wear a night guard when I sleep and that helps a little. But recently my dentist kinda filed down one of my back molars and that seemed to help more than anything because now that tooth cant grind down anymore. Im a little annoyed it came to that but Ive had a lot less trouble out of it the past two months.

zharl

Oh I know this all too well. I especially did it when I slept, so I got a mouth guard, which really helped...until my dog chewed it up. >_<

slimjim119

I would definitely consult a dentist. I have a night guard as well that has helped me alot. I've gotten plenty of headaches and jaw pain through the years. My teeth are a little worn down.

Exercise can be a good thing to help with the anxiety. And my dentist advised me not to chew gum too much.

I do this too sometimes. I moved my jaw in a certain way and it made a loud cracking sound, didn't hurt at first but the next day I had a mild pain and my jaw felt stiff, it's better now.