Classic openers to approach people

Dj SL

"Hi" and "Hey"

Hey, you're cute. Are you friendly/interesting?

You guys seem like fun, had to come say hi.

Hey, you have such a cute group dynamic going on. I want to meet you guys.

Hi, my name is [your name]... How are you?

Hi, you look like someone I would like to meet.

Hey, you look familiar, do I know you?

Those are some examples of classic openers guys!!!

Not a fan of "lines", but here are a few. They may be satirical, who knows ::p:

You must be tired, falling all the way from heaven.

Can you touch my watch? Ooh, it's a magic watch, I can tell you're not wearing any clothes now. Hm, but you are.... Oh wait, it's two hours fast ;)

Have you got a band aid? Because I just cut myself falling for you ;)

Sorry, this is the only time my pick up lines will ever come in handy.

But seriously, I think hi is a great opener, if you can say hi, well done, and then see what happens.

Lambie

How about you sit on my lap and we talk about the first thing that pops up. haha.

lolcat.jpg

This conversation alternates between you and a stranger.

You: Joan! How are you?

Random stranger: I'm not Joan, sorry.

You: Yeah, sure you are!

Random stranger: No, I'm really not.

You: Joan from sainsburys! How have you been?

Random stranger: For christs sake, I'm not joan!

You: Ah, Joan, always the joker.

Random stranger: Dammit, stay away from me you creep

You: I will if you give me your daughter Joan

Random stranger: I don't have a daughter.

You: Your sister then

Random stranger: Ok

You: Thank you Joan.

END MEETING

Now you've initiated contact with the strangers sister. Win!

Disclaimer: This is a guide for entertainment purposes only, do not try and replicate the acts described in this post.

Last edited:

Beatmetrics

"Hi" and "Hey"

Starting off nice and simple always nice. Followed by some questions about what I'm currently engaging myself in helps for nice flow of conversation.

Don't do that sounds a little off.

Gives a complement and says hun this is why I had to come and make myself known to you. Always works.

Good one if your trying filter out the girls you may or may not like...or to impress just one. May get you in trouble though later down the road if she truly is all about her friends and you grow to hate them.

Simple and sweet again...works!

Yep good...spoil her with complements after that :) ha ha nice.

Ha Ha! yes the guessing game. Works!

Feathers

"Hi" and "Hey"
Okay to start with yup, then just something about the venue/event/current surroundings would probably be best...

Thoughts: Hey, you're creepy. Are you boring/stupid?

Thoughts: You are so bored you want to attach to our fun and even mention it? Can't you just start a conversation without mentioning the obvious?
The good thing is he approaches without hitting on anyone specifically though... which is a good thing, as long as he makes it obvious later on who he likes, to avoid a catfight (?) or if he just keeps it friendly with all of them to later do some things as a group maybe..

Thoughts: Again, sounds like you want to 'attach' to our fun and 'group dynamics' (huh?)
Do you want to meet me or my friends? Why is he using these big words at this gig?

Thoughts: Okay, why do I need to know your name first thing right away? I'll probably forget it soon anyway... But okay, let's see what else he has to say...
And can't you observe a bit to see how I am? (if she's feeling bad: might make her cry!! lol!) If she's feeling good or just does the polite 'I'm fine' it may be okay...

For me, this would work better if we danced or talked a bit with this guy before... And the 'How are you?' just seems... off... don't know.. Can't you see if I'm enjoying myself or not? :)

Thoughts: Hey, you don't. lol (I'm evil, okay!! :)) Or if he does look good: 'Gosh he's cute but why do men come up with such lame lines?' lol Or if he looks 'okay': Okay, let's see what he has to say...

Thoughts: This one might actually really work, depends on how you do it... If she really doesn't like you she may just shake head and walk away... If she does like you you can maybe talk a bit about deja vu or something...??

Classic openers?? Huh?? Do these things ever really work??
Maybe for the younger girls in their late teens/20's or something?
And in what kind of venues/places?

Also disclaimer: I'm not a native speaker of English so these things may sound different in different countries!! :)

Of course if you look really hot/attractive to the girls you can probably say anything, but some of these things do kinda creep me out a bit lol!!

No wonder I'm still/again single!! :)

Last edited:

Feathers

Pebbles, lol!!

The comedic ones may even work a bit, depends on how you do it - but you risk that she's just fascinated by your comedic sense of humor and finds herself unable to resist talking to you, while she may not be really interested...

(This has actually happened to me - guys approached me with such lame lines that I was unable to resist talking back, while I wasn't interested at all.. lol)

So, use with caution!! haha (And probably it's better for comedic purposes than to use in RL...)
Unless you've observed she really likes you and has a funny sense of humor too, then maybe it would work, haha..

WeirdyMcGee

I don't usually introduce myself right away... is that considered rude?
I guess it's just incase my initial contact backfires- they don't have my name, so I feel somewhat less embarrassed. or something...

Try making a comment about the situation you are in.
Say you were standing in a line to get on a rollercoaster, you could just turn to one of the other people in line and say; "I'm starting to get nervous! Have you been on this one yet? It looks crazy!"

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Okay, I cannot seriously think of opener liners without the silly horrible ones aka pickup lines (not what the thread is about, I cant help it, sorry)...

-Is that the sun coming up... or is that just you lighting up my world?

-If you were the new burger at McDonalds you would be the Mcgorgeous!

-Hey, how’s it going? Do you see my friend over there? He wants to know if you think I’m cute.

-I have Skittles in my mouth, wanna taste the rainbow?

-When i saw you i fell over and bumped my head. I'll have to take your name and number for insurance purposes.

-Are we in Lord of The Rings? cause I swear your my precious...

Ahhhhh those are some of the innocent ones I know. Seriously just not possible for these to work for most people.

Last edited:

Feathers

Yeah, McGee, I'm not comfortable giving my name right away either... If I don't know the person I might even give fake info, cause I don't know 'is he allright, is he a pervert/horrible person/spy from non-eco orgs' (lol), would I get in trouble etc?

Comment about the situation can be great, even if it's something obvious such as 'great gig' (if she seems to be enjoying herself too) or 'Whoa, what a crowd, come here often?' or whatever...

It doesn't have to be anything super-smart or super-intelligent... guys can put too much 'value' on 'first line' when actually the more 'innocent' and 'everyday' it is, the better...
So just something to let her know you're interested in getting to know her better... and open to conversation/communication...

lol, Lemur!! Those are pretty funny... no idea if they would work for anyone who doesn't know each other already... or maybe if said with a true Robbie Williams stance in a somewhat sarcastic manner...? hm!!
(and you'd probably need to look and swagger a bit like Robbie Williams too??! :))

mikebird

Banned
If someone approached me with that material, I'd be running the other way, and probably glad if I avoiding reacting aggressively. I don't mind a bit of attitude, but I really need something meaningful and subtle.

I don't know if I'm stuck in a childhood phase, still unable to come up with anything new, or if I got a mature outlook yet, refusing to communicate with anyone immature, or stupid. I can't tell

IGotSeoul

I'm not very good at approaching people.

I usually try to find a topic of mutual importance and the conversation will create itself.

R3X

i personally don't do all of that......what i usually do is talk about the surroundings....like maybe the weather?....you know,stuff like that....then after a couple of conversations,i'll introduce myself and say,"hey,my name's blabla...what's yours??"........it works most of the time for me...

Dj SL

To have a conversation with a strangers you need openers. It's rarely when a stranger approach to you and start a conversation. But when you approach to strangers (at school, job, shop center). you need an opener to start a conversation. There are many openers depends what is the situation. For example, in a shop center If you like a girl/boy who works there, you can ask or conversate with s/he. What can you ask/conversate? This is for guys. get the girl!!!

you: Hi, do you work here?

girl: yes, I do. Do you need help?

you: yes, I'm looking for a t-shirt I saw last week, but I can't find it.

girl: How the shirt looks like?

you: It's color blue, and It says you are so pretty.

girl: lol, you are joking me. I haven't seen that shirt here.

you: really?, yes I'm just joking, ummm, why are you so pretty?

girl: ummm, do you think so?

you: yes, I approached to you, not for the shirt but to say you're pretty.

girl: (smiling) Thank you. (If she likes you, she will be blusing).

you: my name is (your name)

girl: I'm (her name)

you: nice to meet you, I would like to keep seeing you.

Note: depends what she says after that sentence, It's very important, she can say I have a boyfriend, or she can say sounds good.
If she says ok, or sounds good. keep the conversation going on...
Advise: Don't ask for her phone number right away.

^haha. Sounds good if you're Hugh Grant.

If not, perhaps a bit corny?

Buuuuut. You can be corny on purpose, as a joke. But it involves lying. And I know how honest you all are, so I won't tell you :D

Dj SL

^haha. Sounds good if you're Hugh Grant.

If not, perhaps a bit corny?

Buuuuut. You can be corny on purpose, as a joke. But it involves lying. And I know how honest you all are, so I won't tell you :D

It involves lying but not really; the lie is not really a lie; It's to get to know the girl in this case. and this lie is not bad :)
The most you get in conversations, the most you get rid of the fear.
Face the fear, Face your life, Face this world... And be happy :)