Christmas guilt =S

Klaus

What's the point of celebrating the birth of Jesus when you are an atheist?
Just return the gifts at the store, ask the money back and give it back to your mum.

In Soviet Russia Christmas day is just another day, lol.

Feathers

Hmm.. Maybe she's just trying to 'make up for it' sort of...?

It shows you're a (financially) responsible person!!

Maybe you can discuss it for next year, and go for 'no gifts' or just some tiny amount of money to go to a charity or such?

I usually don't like Christmas or such either, enthusiasm of older ladies I visited when volunteering, and my Grandma... and singing Christmas carols.. can sort of re-light some of the splendour..

Maybe just give your mom a hug, and offer to do the dishes, or give her a (voucher for) massage (by you), or something? What does your mom appreciate? There are creative gifts that need not cost a thing...

fitftw

First of all, you're almost too beautiful for words, and I am a very picky person.

ANYWAY...

Xmas was created to convert Pagans into Catholics. That's what I hear anyway. So it's really a Pagan holiday, and giving presents that cost a great deal of money has only been in effect for not even 100 years. Maybe not even 75 years. 50 sounds more reasonable, when the advent of TV's became widespread so they could shove this guilt in our faces.

Screw holidays. I'm anti-every religion except Buddhism/Taoism and other such like religions.

Hastings & Main

I think the religious aspect of Xmas is overlooked by many, if not most people anyways.
My family certainly weren't very religious (esp. me, who at 5 yrs old told my parents I wasn't going to pray before bed anymore 'cos I couldn't see who I was talking to:D), and we had a full-blown gift-giving thing every year.

It's more a reason to hang with the family for a day & having fun (or desperately trying to), when most of the rest of the year we either only talk on the phone once in a while or take each other for granted while we all watch TV/do whatever in separate rooms.

I'd say that if she gave you too many/too expensive gifts and you're financially strained atm, try returning some and return the money in as nice a way as possible.

Jamovik

First of all, you're almost too beautiful for words, and I am a very picky person.

ANYWAY...

Xmas was created to convert Pagans into Catholics. That's what I hear anyway. So it's really a Pagan holiday, and giving presents that cost a great deal of money has only been in effect for not even 100 years. Maybe not even 75 years. 50 sounds more reasonable, when the advent of TV's became widespread so they could shove this guilt in our faces.

Screw holidays. I'm anti-every religion except Buddhism/Taoism and other such like religions.
Yep, it IS a pagan holiday in Germanic Europe at least. We have been celebrating it for 2500 years. We celebrate that the sun is turning :)

Zoya Dulzura

My family celebrates Christmas even though my parents aren't particularly religious, per se, and I'm an atheist. It's just a tradition, and a good time for us to be close and all that heart-warming stuff. But yeah, when you're irreligious or something similar to that, it should make people's activities during Christmastime a bit more flexible. I for one am all for saving money, not supporting comsumerism and just not exchanging gifts, or maybe doing something homemade instead. There are other options besides going to the store and picking out something on the shelf, other options that could have a bit more meaning than that. I definitely understand your dilemma.

JamesSmith

Christmas is NOT a christian holiday necessarily. It's a pagan holiday. Tons of people celebrate christmas who aren't christians, there's nothing wrong with that. If anyone gave me a present I'd take it, it's a free gift. I don't see what your guilty about.

Zoya Dulzura

But Christmas is technically a Christian holiday, regardless of its origins... Today it (for Christians) recognizes the birth of Jesus, even though it means something a little different for people like me...

JamesSmith

No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christ’s birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.