Books!

Does anyone know any good authors or books?
I like christian, scifi, fantasy, or romance.Really anything that has a good story.
I recently started to read again but am behind on what authors are good.

Pookah

Frank Herbert, Tolkien, Ursula K. Le Guin, Anne McCaffrey, Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Does anyone know any good authors or books?
I like christian, scifi, fantasy, or romance.Really anything that has a good story.
I recently started to read again but am behind on what authors are good.

Amazon.com: Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle, Book 1) (9780380706136): Stephen R. Lawhead: Books
reviewer said:
Stephen Lawhead added his own twists to Arthurian legend, in a Christianity-friendly, mythic-realism retelling of the years leading up to the tales of Arthur and his knights that we know and love. "Taliesin" takes place before the time of Merlin, starring Merlin's parents.

dottie

mockingjay comes out tomorrow. it's the third/last book in the series. start with hunger games.

41PuUigDokL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

IamThisOne

Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Dragonlance series.

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited:

Tiercel

The trilogy beginning with Dragons of Autumn Twilight cemented my eternal love for the Dragonlance world. The only characters I actually missed when I finished reading about them were in David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon series, but that might be because together they consist of 10 separate books.

I also like reading more historical tales. Like Mallory's Le Morte d'Arthur, Beowulf, the Nibelungenlied, and Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. I still haven't gotten into the Norse sagas, though I've been meaning to for years.

Oh, and Robert E. Howard's writing style kicks butt, though that might be more of a guy thing. He's the one who created Conan, who is much more complex than he was portrayed in the movies with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Other than that all I've got is some WWII books I could recommend, but they don't contain much science fiction, fantasy, or romance... :rolleyes:

Hey, I love ww2 stuff... have you read any of richard winter's "memoirs"? I'd like to know how they are.... would love to get into them but I dunno :}

Steve23

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I read them in highschool and am going through them again. I've gone through 4 books this month - stuff is like crack!

Rembrandt Broam

Proselytizing is proselytizing whether its an atheist or theist doing it.

I've never seen the point of books like "The God Delusion". If you are an atheist then you don't need convincing of the arguments against the existence of God, and if you are a believer then Dawkins isn't going to change your mind.

mrb

learning how to read , for under 5 year olds , im half way through it but its tough going , but im not giving up ::p:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I've never seen the point of books like "The God Delusion". If you are an atheist then you don't need convincing of the arguments against the existence of God, and if you are a believer then Dawkins isn't going to change your mind.
I find books like that interesting. Dawkins, while he can be an ass, is brilliant. I quite enjoyed 'The Selfish Gene'. I don't always agree with him but I find it interesting for him to try and make his case.

Suggesting such a book when the OP specified he was into Christian books, though, is just trolling the Christians. :rolleyes:

chola

the Tao te Ching is always a good read

I like the translation by Brian Browne Walker

I like this book too.
The Mahabharata (english translation by william buck) is also great. You don't have to be into mythology to enjoy it.
Anything by Ray Bradbury
Also Cormack McCarthy or William Gay are great writers, but if they get you down, I'd switch to Divine Secrets of the Yaya Sisterhood.