Better than you?

Tiercel

Of course I think everyone is better than me. I graduated high school behind both my twin sister and my younger brother due to depression/anxiety problems. I failed the second semester of my sophomore year at college, but I didn't have a major in mind anyway. So I dropped out. Since then I've been unable to hold any kind of job, and I've basically been stagnating like a pond full of algae in the August sun. I've even wondered about suicide* from a purely practical perspective, as I don't feel like I've been making any positive contribution to anything. In the time I've been adrift I've watched everyone I know improve and move on with their lives except for me.

But I also have moments where I think, "Heck if someone that dumb/handicapped/rotten/etc. can do that, so can I! And I know I can do it better!" So most of the time I feel like complete and utter garbage. But every once in a while I come to my senses and realize what a wonder I really am.

:D

* Suicide is never a valid option. If you experience thoughts of suicide, either seek professional help immediately or find someone to smack some sense into you.

Noca

Banned
There's always someone whose gonna be better and someone whose gonna be worse than you are. You gotta learn to accept yourself for who you are and love yourself.

I feel exactly the same! I always find other girls more attractive then me!
And Better lookin', and when it comes to my anxiety problems, my situation is worse than all those teenagers! Cuz I don't live the life I want! I really want to change my way of thinking about myself, that's my goal :)
But I don't want to feel superior, that's too much hehe ;)
But for example, I never feel proud of myself after doing something good..
or it has to be something extremely big .. What makes me feel good doing it..
Something which brings me alot of anxiety.. Then I feel good.. But just little steps.. Ugh, i want to start big! But I have to be patience, right?

Fighter86

A lot of people are better than me, like seriously. Its not a question of low self esteem, its a fact, clearly shown if you make comparison. The thing is, the people surrounding me just don't know know this, I believe they sometimes do think I'm better than them in certain areas when I'm not simply because I'm pretty clever at hiding things. Its just amazes me how naive people can be sometimes, they would assume things that are never true even when you don't say anything to mislead them, all you need to do is act in a certain manner and people would assume what they want have led their minds to believe. My life has been so well hidden for the past one year and more that no one that I have met in these months suspect I don't even have a single friend to call or go places with, amazing...

A lot of people are better than me, like seriously. Its not a question of low self esteem, its a fact, clearly shown if you make comparison. The thing is, the people surrounding me just don't know know this, I believe they sometimes do think I'm better than them in certain areas when I'm not simply because I'm pretty clever at hiding things. Its just amazes me how naive people can be sometimes, they would assume things that are never true even when you don't say anything to mislead them, all you need to do is act in a certain manner and people would assume what they want have led their minds to believe. My life has been so well hidden for the past one year and more that no one that I have met in these months suspect I don't even have a single friend to call or go places with, amazing...

Out of curiousity, are you a teacher?

bigrob

Quite the opposite.

I think I am better than the majority of people and get frustrated that people obviously inferior to me (be it intellectually, work ethic, ect) are succeeding while I do not.

That's where my paranoia comes in....to me it's obvious that I am being held back my others jealous of me.

Man, I'm a mess.

Nope, I'm not. I think we have chatted before via private msging on this site? I previously worked in a school but not as a member of the teaching stuff.

Oh yes! Sorry. Haven't slept for some time. Memory lapse I'm afraid haha.. Yup I remember now. Some kind of logistics yes? On providing the teaching staff some of their materials?

LadyWench

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I've always had awful self-esteem, so I can relate in a way. When it comes to appearance, I do feel that most people are better than me. I often times compare myself to other women and see that their bodies are better and just everything in general makes me physically fking repulsive.

As for other aspects of myself, I don't feel that people are better than me, no. I'm quite comfortable as far as my intellect goes. Of course, I'm absolutely nothing compared to scientists, professors and other amazingly intelligent people. I do feel that I am of decent intelligence, though. And compared to the rotten hellhole I live in, I do find myself actually feeling BETTER than the people here. It makes me a b*tch, I know.

Anyway, this post isn't helpful at all. I know that anything I say won't change your mind. Nothing can, except you. But you should know that you ARE worthy. Eleanor Roosevelt said it best: "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." You have to tell yourself every day that nobody is better than you. Everyone is unique in their own way, ya know? Everybody has their own individual flaws as well as talents. We're all human here.

And here's another quote you might like. Well, I do, anyway. :p

"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you." - Dr. Seuss

coyote

I somehow assign people I encounter into one of three categories: less than, equal to, or greater than me. Sometimes it is clear to me why they might fit a particular categorization. Other times, it seems very arbitrary, and I am not sure what it is about them that makes me think they're better than me.

I'm working on trying to figure out why I view some people as superior - often, just identifying that I'm putting them on a pedestal is enought to cause that imaginary pedestal to crumble.

There are a number of things about myself that I feel good about, but the opinion that I haven't made much of my life or screwed up what could have been good always seems to negate that....

talisman

Well I do feel inferior to most people, but I don't necessarily feel they're better than me. Most people are more confident than me and have more of a social life than me. Most lost their virginity well before I ever will. Most can drive and probably earn more than I do.

However I feel slightly better than many in terms of having a much more open mind, having more knowledge and the desire to keep learning, and just generally being a nicer person even if I don't really have anyone to be nice to.

Last edited: