Being "the" slow eater

WeirdyMcGee

I honestly think that eating slower is healthier anyways so it's their problem of they want to make stupid comments :)

It absolutely is better for you to eat slowly and actually *TASTE and SAVOR* your food.

Growing up in a low income household with 5-14 people around for every meal meant you had to grab what you could and eat quickly so that no one else would try to steal food off of your plate.
So, as a child, I ate as fast as I possibly could.

As a teenager living on my own, It took me literally years to get out of the habit of fast eating and now I tend to be one of the last people in my family to finish.
And if anyone grabs for my plate, I'll bite their hand off!
It doesn't really bother me that people make comments but it'll always happen no matter what setting I'm in.

Starry

I have the opposite problem... I'm a very fast eater... If I have to eat in front of anyone other than immediate family members I find it torture to force myself to eat slowly lol. It's made worse by the fact my husband is a slow eater... If we're eating with anyone else I have to force myself to be slower than he is for fear that people will think I'm greedy... Now, add to that the fact I have about a quarter to half the amount of food he does and we have a torturous situation lol.

But yes, eating slower is healthier... I just can't do it haha.

laure15

I'm a slow eater too, but some people take issue with it.

When I was 4-5 years old, one of my grandmas dislike me for eating slowly. One day, I took my time eating and she came up to me and insulted me. She called me slow and stupid. On the other hand, she praised my brother for eating faster than me. The weird thing is that the next time, I ate faster than my brother and I told her about it. But instead of praising me, she told me to go away. She kept on looking at my brother and praising him.

When I lived in the dorm, there were also certain people who don't like the way I eat. One time, I sit in the cafeteria eating slowly, and there were 2 snobby looking guys who looked at me and commented on how slowly I eat. When I was done eating and as I walked towards the trash can, the guys stared at me and one of them yelled, "Are you done yet?" and they both laughed. It was disgusting.

I also experienced the same thing when I was at a restaurant. One of the waitresses didn't like me for some reason, and she kept on talking about me, including how slowly I eat. I heard her say nastily behind my back, "eating so slowly..." When my family and I finished eating and walked towards the door, she yelled, "Go away..." I never went to that restaurant ever again.

shiiem

I feel your pain. I'm also a slow eater, so I force myself to stop eating when I notice everyone else is finished or about to be, even when there's a lot of food left and I'm still hungry. I guess I don't want to make people wait for me to be finished. The trouble is that I usually get a "how can you be so plump when you eat so little?" comment instead - can't win... ::(:

Luka

I'm also a slow eater! I get self conscious about it because people have to wait around for me which just doesn't make me feel comfortable at all.