Being tall Doesn't help!!!!

cosmosis

It really isn't shallow. That's common. It all comes down to preferences, and most women do prefer taller guys. I can't speak for all women and don't claim I know what all women want, but it's not hard to realize the majority of women prefer a man who is taller than she. It's because it just feels awkward to have to look down at your man. Among other things. Taller height often means more testosterone, which is more attractive to a woman (like big breasts/lips on a woman = more estrogen and therefore generally more attractive to a man).

Well, as far as I know, being taller has very little to do with testosterone and much more to do with your genes. You are much more likely to see natural muscles with high testosterone not height. In fact I find it funny because most guys that are tall tend to be on the scrawny side muscle wise (of course there are many exceptions).

I find it sad that so many women exclude men because they are short or they are taller then them. I think it is a bit shallow and too exclusive. In the same sense I don't like how men exclude women who are fat. How about looking at the person as a whole? If you can deeply connect with someone, you might be amazed at how attractive they become regardless of specific traits.

GraybeardGhost

Well maybe not completely unattractive, but certainly less attractive. I'm surprised this isn't as common knowledge as I thought it was. Many, many women feel this way (not all, obviously).

I agree that this seems to be a common preference among women, but still it puzzles me. As a shorter guy, and of a timid nature, I often find taller men intimidating, especially those in authority or those whose approval I particularly seek. Even standing next to a stranger, having the most casual of conversations (or none at all), fills me with anxiety if he happens to be tall. I generally don't experience this with persons of my own stature. Why, I wonder, do women tend to seek out precisely this sort of disposition? Do you not find tall men at least a little bit intimidating, or is that just a "short guy" thing?

Well, as I said, I'm only 5'1 myself, so I don't rule many guys out based on height. One of my boyfriends was 5'3, which is pretty damn short, and it did bother me, and yes I realize that sounds shallow. It didn't last anyway (and not because he was short ::p:).

I'd say 5'5 is probably my cutoff point. I don't think that's too bad. Not that I wouldn't consider anyone shorter (see previous paragraph), but it's not likely... But I've been attracted to guys who were 5'6-5'7, so I don't think I'm too snobby heightwise :p But being a short woman comes with its disadvantages too, I don't like to feel like I'm holding my father's hand :p Though I have almost dated 5'11 guys. But a bit shorter would be *ideal*

I don't have anything against really short guys, at all. I just don't tend to find myself attracted to them.

I think that those who are insecure with their own height tend to have quite defined ideals when it comes to the height of a potential mate.

I think that goes for everything, not just height.

In a perfect world, everybody would get comfortable with who they are first as their priority so that their own insecurities wouldn't cloud their judgement of what is and isnt attractive. ( I do believe our own self esteem effects that, who we allow ourselves be attracted to)

I think that those who are insecure with their own height tend to have quite defined ideals when it comes to the height of a potential mate.

I think that goes for everything, not just height.

In a perfect world, everybody would get comfortable with who they are first as their priority so that their own insecurities wouldn't cloud their judgement of what is and isnt attractive. ( I do believe our own self esteem effects that, who we allow ourselves be attracted to)

So if you have certain physical preferences, it means you have a problem with those body traits on yourself? :confused:

I mean... I have a preference for shorter hair. I don't like long hair on guys. But I am not insecure about my hair at all.

My height... Eh, sometimes I wish I was taller, but I'm not overly troubled by it. I have other, more pressing concerns about my body, and the things I *do* dislike about my body, I don't pay extra attention to on a man.

It's just a known fact that most women prefer taller men *shrug* I don't think that means all these women are insecure about their own height.

In essence, I disagree :p

Last edited:

coyote

actually, the human gaze is naturally downward looking

since males are more visually oriented when it comes to sexual attraction, it stands to reason that they notice women who are shorter than they are

or maybe women are visually oriented, too - and they're just looking lower

Last edited:

Shenmue

I think there's more to it than just being shallow. For those who have been shortchanged in the looks department, I can imagine some of them are going to feel bitter about it. Such as those who are so desperately insecure about their looks, that when they are in a relationship, they become possessive and controlling. And I think deep down, we seek out the more attractive features in someone, not because we are shallow, but because we think the models of the world are going to be more self assured and fun to be around.

*Disclaimer*

This post contains ill-informed views. Reader discretion is advised.

Bree1989

My sister always says I'm shallow because I refuse to ever date a short guy. But I don't see it as shallow at all. Why? Because EVERYTHING related to sex and sexuality is shallow. Absolutely everything. If I'm not sexually attracted to a person, I don't see any point in dating them. If I like a guy, and he's not sexy, we can just be friends. Sheesh.

I didn't choose to be attracted to very tall men: it's just the way I am! And anyway, that just leaves more shorter guys for girls who don't mind. :)

AGR

to me its weird to rule out someone or think they are not attractive just because of their heigth,people who are around the same height differing only by some inches,when you are next to them it doesnt make a lot of diference really,its weird to me,it wouldnt matter to me unless the diference was really big,like I am 1,69(5'6) and she was like 1,87(6'2)almost a foot,weight also wouldnt matter unless the diference was big,like 20 kg more than me.

MikeyC

Tall women just have longer legs to wrap around their man.
Interesting thought. :D

Just trying to eliminate the intimidation men seem to feel around tall women.
I don't feel intimidated by taller women. I quite like them. Overall height is really not too much of an issue.

My sister always says I'm shallow because I refuse to ever date a short guy. But I don't see it as shallow at all. Why? Because EVERYTHING related to sex and sexuality is shallow. Absolutely everything. If I'm not sexually attracted to a person, I don't see any point in dating them. If I like a guy, and he's not sexy, we can just be friends. Sheesh.

I didn't choose to be attracted to very tall men: it's just the way I am! And anyway, that just leaves more shorter guys for girls who don't mind. :)
You have nothing to prove to anyone.

If you don't like shorter guys, you don't like shorter guys. That's all. :)

A86

I think being taller than average has contributed some to my anxieties.
most people look up to me... sure physicaly they don't have a choice, but there does seem to be an air of authority for some weird reason. if I wasn't so passive and indecisive perhaps I could utilise this phenomena to better myself.
however, as it stands it is just constant attention that my nerves don't need.

So if you have certain physical preferences, it means you have a problem with those body traits on yourself? :confused:

Erm no. That's not what I said at all :p:rolleyes:

But those who are insecure about a particular feature do tend to have quite defined ideas about what that feature should be in a potential mate.
(That's not to say that every preference you have is because of a flaw of your own)

But if you are insecure about a feature of your own, you are likely to judge how attractive somebody else is by that feature in them.

eg. my friend hates her nose, she's really hung up about it. When she's dating guys she always notices their nose. She favours guys with a button nose. She always always comments to me about their noses before anything else. Her insecurity about her own nose has effected her choice in men...and she has significantly reduced her own dating pool.

It would be in my friend's best interest to get over her nose because it is blinkering her.(lol sounds so funny) If you're not right with yourself first, how can you pick someone right for you?

I've always been very grateful that I'm only 5'2, and I can sort of disappear in a crowd.

Anytime I'm around children or other people who are shorter than I am, I feel instantly uncomfortable.

Entangled

Seriously, the only reason to hate being tall is THIS!!:

3353087811_23d8910f7c_z.jpg

Aletheia

^ *laughs*

But yeah, I've occasionally had to do that limbo thing, and it is a pain. Apparently tall left handed guys have more accidents than anyone else: the world just isn't made for them.

As for me, I'm 5'10" (and female). I don't mind it so much now, but I HATED it when I was growing up; I was always the tallest in the class. I stuck out when all I wanted to do was fade into the background, so I hunched over as much as possible.

I grew two inches between 12 and 16 and I think it was just finally learning to stand up straight.

Aletheia

It is, it might sound silly but I also think things like yoga and pilates actually help you feel more comfortable with your body too, less awkward, more fluid. If that makes sense.

It does.

I practice yoga, and I find it helps get me out of my head and into my body, so that there's less of a disconnect. I'm not quite so much of a jerky marionette, operated from afar.

the more comfortable you are the less you stand out

Yes.