Being tall Doesn't help!!!!

I can understand a woman not wanting to date a shorter guy but what irks me is most women ive known refuse to date a guy THE SAME HEIGHT! Which sucks ass for me because im a midget, 5"8, im about the same height as 99 percent of women.

Most women are 5'8? That's news to me :p The average in the USA is actually 5'4, Canada is probably similar.

And 5'8 isn't THAT short for a man, jeez! My brother is 5'8 and no one has ever considered him that short-looking.

Entangled

Being tall is awesome, and don't you forget it!!

The only non-awesome thing about it is trying to find clothes that fit. :(

.....5"8, im about the same height as 99 percent of women.

Where did you get that statistic? I wish that where true:D (I am only 5"3::eek::)

I don't get the whole issue of girls who won't date a guy shorter then them. It's their personality you have to want to be around, what does their height have to do with anything?. If a girl is just worried about being seen with a guy shorter then them, that is quite shallow imo.

MikeyC

Wait, so you weren't already aware of this fact? :p

Just date shorter girls, or one who doesn't care that you're shorter than she is.
Totally. Too bad I actually like tall girls. ::p:

im a midget, 5"8
That's not a midget!

I don't get the whole issue of girls who won't date a guy shorter then them. It's their personality you have to want to be around, what does their height have to do with anything?. If a girl is just worried about being seen with a guy shorter then them, that is quite shallow imo.
I think it's just a thing that girls like. Kind of like girls like being with slightly older men, too.

Of course, men generally like girls shorter and younger, so men that don't like older and taller girls could be seen as just as shallow.

I'm 26 but girls in their 30's work for me. :D

Invisibleman

^Actually my friends father is a real midget and im only about 3-4 inches taller than him-_-
Anyway my f**king god SPW *Facepalm* when I said 99percent of women its an OBVIOUS exaggeration...

But anyway I found this article a while back,its not really adding to anything im just simply throwing it out here.

Women will take just about any shortcoming in a man, except in the height department, according to Andrea McGinty, who founded the San Diego-based dating service It's Just Lunch.

McGinty helped ABCNEWS put together an experiment to test just how willing women are to date shorter men. We brought together several short men and asked them to stand next to taller men. We invited groups of women to look at the men and choose a date.

To see if the women would go for short guys who were successful, ABCNEWS' Lynn Sherr created extraordinary résumés for the shorter men. She told the women that the shorter men included a doctor, a best-selling author, a champion skier, a venture capitalist who'd made millions by the age of 25.

Nothing worked. The women always chose the tall men. Sherr asked whether there'd be anything she could say that would make the shortest of the men, who was 5 feet, irresistible. One of the women replied, "Maybe the only thing you could say is that the other four are murderers." Another backed her up, saying that had the taller men had a criminal record she might have been swayed to choose a shorter man. Another said she'd have considered the shorter men, if the taller men had been described as "child molesters."

McGinty helped ABCNEWS put together an experiment to test just how willing women are to date shorter men.

^Well that is the problem with that survey right there. Anything with the word News attached to it are only after ratings. Controversy equals higher ratings.

MikeyC

^Well that is the problem with that survey right there. Anything with the word News attached to it are only after ratings. Controversy equals higher ratings.
Totally. Plus there were no dates with these men. The taller men could have rotten personalities, so the women are just basing them on first impressions and nothing more.

dottie

more thoughts on this...

one of the reasons i don't go to bars/clubs is because of my height. we need clubs for tall people only. including staff. then i could dance. when i dance in clubs i look like the girl who is dancing on top of a table, but isn't. this does not bode well for SA.

as far as men go, i once dated a guy a lot shorter than me. he was like roger rabbit- he made me laugh. i remember towards the end of the relationship we were walking down the street fighting (we were really getting into it) and some people passing by laughed at us. lmao we must've looked so absurd! but we had fun.

razzle dazzle rose

you cannot blend in. there is an expectation that because you are tall you will be a pillar of confidence... it's like this weird unspoken expectation of leadership. all you want to do is blend in but all eyes are on you, automatically.

it's so nice to be around my own kind. i don't like short people. i'm just kidding with the last sentence! but really, it is SO NICE to be in a group of other tall people. everything changes. suddenly, i don't stick out anymore, i blend in.

YES!!! All I want to do is blend in, but because of my height I stand out, and I am not even that tall. If I wear even an inch heel, I end up looking like a monster that is gonna eat everybody. Even strangers comment on my height (and like I said, I am not even that tall! I am 5'9"). I don't want to be shorter; I just want people to be taller...and I don't want it to be such a big deal 'cause it is not ::p:

The issue of my height bothered me more when I was younger though. I was always the tallest girl in the class, and at the time really skinny (and awkward. Still awkward of course, but no longer skinny sadly, haha). I also crushed on the shortest guys in class. I still like the short guys, though it does make me self-conscious when others make comments. My boyfriend is about an inch shorter than me. One time a stranger made this comment while we were walking by, "she is taller than you." And because he thought we did not hear him, he said it again louder. It bothered me, and I hate that it did. I wanted to yell something out about how in bed we are the same height or whatever, but I did not want to give him any notice and I am not that brave *sigh*.

Rembrandt Broam

It really isn't shallow. That's common. It all comes down to preferences, and most women do prefer taller guys.

I disagree. Saying "I prefer men who are taller than me" isn't shallow, but saying "I would never date a guy who is shorter than me" is. It's basically saying that you would totally disregard ever other thing about a person simply because of one minor cosmetic factor. That practically defines the word shallow to me.

I disagree. Saying "I prefer men who are taller than me" isn't shallow, but saying "I would never date a guy who is shorter than me" is. It's basically saying that you would totally disregard ever other thing about a person simply because of one minor cosmetic factor. That practically defines the word shallow to me.

Er well... I guess one could say it more nicely, like "It is very unlikely I would date a man who is shorter than me, but not impossible." I mean, I don't see the difference... It can be a real turn-off, and no matter how much you like his personality, if you're not attracted to him physically, it won't be romance.

I guess that makes me shallow *shrug* Not that I'd have that problem anyway, I'm only 5'1 haha.

MikeyC

Er well... I guess one could say it more nicely, like "It is very unlikely I would date a man who is shorter than me, but not impossible." I mean, I don't see the difference... It can be a real turn-off, and no matter how much you like his personality, if you're not attracted to him physically, it won't be romance.
If you don't like short guys, you don't like short guys. Nothing wrong with that.

Rembrandt Broam

I'm not sure what you mean by "not attracted to him physically".

Picture some guy that you personally find really hot - movie star, TV star, band member, guy at your college, whoever. Now imagine him with several inches taken off his height. Do you suddenly find him physically unattractive?

I'm not having a go at you here. I'm genuinely interested in whether one single physical attribute can be the difference between attractive and unattractive.

There's nothing wrong with having preferences. We all do. I really like dark haired girls, but there are plenty of blonde girls I'd be attracted to based on a combination of other physical characteristics and their personality.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not attracted to him physically".

Picture some guy that you personally find really hot - movie star, TV star, band member, guy at your college, whoever. Now imagine him with several inches taken off his height. Do you suddenly find him physically unattractive?

Well maybe not completely unattractive, but certainly less attractive. I'm surprised this isn't as common knowledge as I thought it was. Many, many women feel this way (not all, obviously).

If%20you%20know%20what%20I%20mean..png

bahaha you know I know you know what I mean

Rembrandt Broam

Well maybe not completely unattractive, but certainly less attractive.

Yeah I can see how it would be a contributing factor to someone's physical attractiveness. I was just a surprised that anyone would completely rule out a potential relationship based on that single factor.

Not that I'm short myself. For the record I'm just under 6ft, just in case I seemed overly defensive on this issue. ::p:

I'm surprised this isn't as common knowledge as I thought it was. Many, many women feel this way (not all, obviously).

Oh I think it's pretty common knowledge that a lot of women do prefer taller guys. Plenty of short guys seem to still do OK though.

coyote

Well maybe not completely unattractive, but certainly less attractive. I'm surprised this isn't as common knowledge as I thought it was. Many, many women feel this way (not all, obviously).

i thought it was pretty commonly understood myself

the same with many, many men not being comfortable with a woman who is taller than him - regardless of how attractive she is