Becoming Cynical

thegunners21

I have realized that over the past few months, I have started becoming more cynical and bitter towards everyone else.

I don't want to be this way but i can't help being cynical.
How do i stop this??? UGHHHHHH!!!!

Phoenixx

I've been like this quite often too. But it's not towards everyone, only those close to me. I hate how badly I've been treating people lately, but sometimes I feel like I have no control.

Bittersweet

I went through a phase for quite a few years where I was very angry and bitter with everybody.

I'm not sure what will work for you, but in my case, I had to examine the emotions underneath the bitterness. I soon realized they were the protective layer for feelings of disappointment, resentment, and sadness about unmet hopes and expectations.

I had to work on meeting my own needs and get rid of people and situations that weren't healthy for me. I can't get rid of family, but in some cases I had to limit contact. I got rid of toxic friends and worked on unhealthy beliefs that made me believe I wasn't worthy of having good people or experiences in my life.

It's taken a few years, but the bitterness is mostly gone.

If you ever want to talk sometime, feel free to contact me.

U

userremoved

Being happy is the only way to stop that. Good luck with that though.

Phoenixx

I had to work on meeting my own needs and get rid of people and situations that weren't healthy for me. I can't get rid of family, but in some cases I had to limit contact. I got rid of toxic friends and worked on unhealthy beliefs that made me believe I wasn't worthy of having good people or experiences in my life.

It's taken a few years, but the bitterness is mostly gone.
^ This is basically what I want to try to do. I believe half of my bitterness and anger is just from disappointment caused by some of the people in my life. I've just about gotten rid of one so-called "friend", and that alone improved my mood a little bit. I really want to limit my family contact, as they can often get on my nerves. Funny, when my brother moved out last year, whenever we talked, it was just us having a conversation and it was actually nice. We would joke around and we got along. Now that he has moved back in, we've basically been at each other again constantly arguing. :rolleyes:

Bittersweet

I don't buy into negative vs positive feelings.

Every feeling is meant to tell you something about your experience.

Feelings that are considered negative are merely a warning sign to direct your attention toward an area of your life that isn't working right.

It takes time and practice to heed these signs instead of instinctively suppressing them.

EscapeArtist

I don't buy into negative vs positive feelings.

Every feeling is meant to tell you something about your experience.

Feelings that are considered negative are merely a warning sign to direct your attention toward an area of your life that isn't working right.

It takes time and practice to heed these signs instead of instinctively suppressing them.

Well said!

mikebird

Banned
That's very important.

I get confused with being cynical and critical of others. Without anyone telling me that, I am aware that my life revolves around criticism of others, and it could be a pivotal change for me to be "nice to people". I don't take criticism well, and tend to over-react.

I think I'm generally negative, BUT... that's because life is not so good. I had high hopes and things won't be as good as they used to be :mad: