Attracting More of What you Fear the Most (Negative Retail Experiences)

lonerism

i manage a clothing store

we don't target or profile anyone

although we carry more expensive merchandise generally catering to shoppers with higher incomes, we are located in a touristy resort town, so we get people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and levels of wealth

i and my staff make our living by providing exceptional customer service - the clothes pretty much sell themselves, so our job is to provide a pleasant and memorable shopping experience for the customers

in order to do that, we have to pay attention to the customers - we need to be observant and see where they are, what they're looking for, what they seem interested in, what they don't seem interested in, and especially whether it looks like they might need any help with anything

this not only helps us to help the customer, but it also lets us know how our product merchandising is working - whether we need to move items to different locations to get more attention, or which items are simply "dogs" and might need to get marked down, etc.

we can't do all this by standing behind the counter ignoring people

and, yeah, people steal stuff - we had 10 pair of UGG boots stolen in one month. so we do look out for shoplifters, and we also know that by being on the floor among the customers - providing them with assistance - is also the best way to prevent people from stealing, because they can't take things if you're standing right there talking to them.

unfortunately, we simply aren't able to be everywhere at once - especially when it gets really busy. so we might pay more attention to the people looking at the items we've had a history of people taking, or are really expensive (and potentially attractive to thieves). for instance, if you were looking at UGGs or the $600 leather jacket, you might get more attention than someone looking at the $10 t-shirt. i'm sure you would do the same thing if it was your store.

i can't speak for every other retailer out there, but i can tell you that most of us are more concerned with selling things than keeping people from stealing them.

stores are not museums, we only survive by selling the merchandise. so we do anything we can to help that process along - the most important of which is to interact with our customers

Wow - I'm with Bronson - it's pretty impressive that you're able to function in a job in which you're dealing with the public for many hours per week - with the added demand of displaying "exceptional customer service". To top things off - you preside over a staff in the process. That seems to require an ample amount of interpersonal stamina and skill - whew! However you manage this, I'm rather blown-away by your abilities.

In theory, I have no problems with theft deterrence, or "Loss Prevention" - I can empathize with the general need to keep people from robbing you blind. What I object to is many of the rather subjective methods that are used to accomplish this objective - methods that cause me to take things personally and methods that leave me feeling unfairly singled-out. I am no more likely to steal than anyone else in the store (and my shoplifting history - or lack thereof - backs this up) - so there is no acceptable reason why I should be given more than my fair share of the attention. There is no reason why employees or "store detectives" should stare at me while respectfully overlooking other customers, or follow me out of the store to copy down my license-plate number when they don't do that with every customer, or smother me with "customer service" while leaving other customers alone, etc..

I actually have much fewer problems with less-personal Loss Prevention efforts such as those receipt-checkers (as long as they are checking everyone - or as long as they apply very consistent and fair rules to the practice), dressing-room attendants who count your clothes when you both enter and exit the dressing room, electronic/RFID tags, and being required to leave your shopping bags from other stores at the front desk. Back in the days when I would shop much more frequently, I had no problems with these type of rules. (I still don't - as long as they are applied consistently and aren't used to single anyone out unfairly.) But apparently, the retail world began to feel that these practices weren't enough - and they began singling out customers for extra scrutiny much more frequently.

I am even willing to accept the presence of CCTV cameras - as "creepy" as it feels to be aware that there are people in hidden-away coves of stores who are observing you via a remote video feed. But what I can't accept is when flawed human beings with various prejudices try to size me up - and treat me differently than they treat a lot of other customers based on some false impression. If they are going to do that, at least keep it in the CCTV control room.

I think the industry needs to figure out ways to accomplish their Loss Prevention goals without making innocent shoppers feel unfairly singled-out. Treat everyone the same. It's dangerous to try to judge someone's appearance or body-language without at least knowing their individual personality, their idiosyncracies and what they may be going through in life. And even then, there is room for error.

Besides lingering in certain areas of the store where there are highly-priced items - are there any other things you look for when spotting potential thieves? Do you zero in on people who look nervous or ill at-ease - and seem uncomfortable while interacting with employees? Have you seen shoplifters in the act?

lonerism

I'm not in your exact situation so I can't say for certain of course, but from my point of view this sounds more like negativity bias combined with self-fulfilling prophecy. I certainly don't think there is any conspiracy among retail workers to keep their devious profiling practices under wraps. If you expect people to treat you like a petty thief, they probably will pick up on that and become suspicious. You could try smiling and interacting and see if that helps improve the way you think you are being treated.

I don't deny that there is some element of "you attract what you expect" to at least some of my experiences. When you've been insulted so many times with this treatment - you can become hyper-vigilant and anticipatory; I walk into stores with a strong sense of dread and doom. But I launch a mighty effort to hide my anxiety and negative emotions - so I wouldn't assume that the treatment I receive is always due to employees reading my tormented vibe like a book. I'm just not all that sure how much my "doom and gloom" expectations play into the responses I get - I'm uncertain whether or not I'm that transparent.

When you are the recipient of frequent hurtful treatment, I think it's generally a normal human response to be ultra-sensitive to possible future occurrences. It's part of one's defense-mechanism, I guess. It's similar to the way a bullying victim may be conditioned in the wake of repeated cruel treatment; the bullying victim may become much more sensitive to signs that a potential bully is targeting him/her.

Even if I am putting out vibes that attract employee suspicion, I don't feel comfortable accepting any blame for being consistently viewed with suspicion - when I have done nothing to truly deserve this treatment. The bottom line is - I'm not a thief or a would-be thief, so I shouldn't be treated like one. Should I be punished in this way for the bad hand I've been dealt? Should my character/honesty come into question because I'm not completely successful in hiding the signs of my personal struggles?

Unfortunately, customers can't always leave their personal problems at the door of a business; employees should be more sensitive to this issue. In their zeal to catch thieves - they actually may be disproportionately targeting the socially-anxious, the autistic, the schizophrenic, the depressed, the bereaved, or other innocent people who are weakened by the hand that life dealt them.

As for your advice to "smile and interact" - are you forgetting where you are?? You seem to forget that - for so many people here - "interacting" is akin to asking a 300 lb. woman to squeeze into size 0 jeans.

I mean, I sometimes do make an effort to look pleasant - but this doesn't really prevent suspicion. And I think it's unrealistic to think that "smiling and interacting" would be universally effective; in fact, in many circumstances, such behavior may actually backfire. I have the personal experience to back this up. If it is not your personality to be interactive, if you would be stepping out of your comfort-zone to interact - such efforts might come off as awkward and unnatural. I think awkwardness is the last thing you want to display when you are trying to "prove" to paranoid employees that you're honest.

"Just accept your degrading treatment with a smile" - lol. I think when any good mood that you're in is killed by hovering, suspicious employees who treat you more like a parolee than a customer - it's pretty hard to smile.

I thank you and everyone else for the feedback I've gotten so far.

lonerism

I use the auto check out in a supermarket. I had placed several items on the scale. One of the staff pushed an item to the centre of the scale. I suppose insinuating that I had placed it off the scale perhaps to not have to pay as much.

I use the auto check out a lot, because I don't have to be served by staff. I often get my breakfast and lunch on the same day. A member of staff said "He's been in three times today." As if there was something wrong with that.

Wow - I can relate. I've had my own strange experiences at those self-checkout machines - including a similar experience in which an overzealous cashier actually came over to help me scan and bag my items. There was no asking "Do you need any help?" - she just butted her way into the proceedings and practically took over. It was weird - something about that didn't feel right to me. Maybe, since she was unoccupied for the moment - she was trying to occupy herself and be helpful - but based on overall precedent...I think her actions may have had a lot to do with making sure that I didn't "cheat" and bag items without scanning them.

I'll detail some other strange experiences - both at self-checkout areas and elsewhere - tomorrow, or shortly thereafter. I'm done for now...

Last edited:

DepravedFurball

Lonerism, as one who works in security and went to college for Policing, I know a fair amount about profiling and loss prevention.

Unfortunately, the first thing that they teach you is 'trust your gut'.

If one of the undercover loss-prevention people spot someone looking nervous or anxious, they hone in on them like a moth to a flame.

It's just that simple. You feel anxious, thus you look anxious. You're probably not a professional actor, so I'll bet that your palms get damp, you swallow too often and too loudly, you're always breathing heavily, looking around for threats...

Unfortunately, 99% of 'normal' society won't know how to interpret those signs as symptoms of what we face.

As for how you should present yourself... dress as if you're going to a job in a casual office setting. No tie or ultra-polished shoes... but put on something one notch above the typical style worn by customers in the shop you visit. Or four notches above in the case of WalMart.

Second, drown out your surroundings. Bring an MP3-player loaded with soothing melodies. Try to focus on the tunes as you're cruising the aisles. And just look at the goods, not your surroundings. The more you look around, the more people are going to SEE you looking around, and that'll raise a flag.

Third, if the above two things still don't work, and you find yourself being followed around again, or out of the store, then CONTACT THEIR SUPERIORS (via e-mail of course). Tell them about the repeated harassment that you're facing, and that, as a LOYAL CONSUMER TO THEIR STORE, you would appreciate if their staff didn't blatantly infringe on your human rights by constantly (silently) accusing you of theft. Also, threaten them by saying that, if that pattern of treatment continues, then you're going to go to the media and pursue legal action.

Really, you might not think that last course of action would do any good... and you'd be incorrect. Store policies change all the time, and for establishments that supposedly take pride in their customer service, doubly-so.

Oh... and don't use the self check-out areas. Only thieves and old people use those. ;)

MikeyC

Huh??? Not where I live! lol Anyway, why go to a cashier? I can do it myself, and faster. Plus, having SA, I don't have to worry about being awkward. In and out!
Also I usually walk to the shops with my iPod, so the self-serve means I don't have to talk to someone while I'm sweating, and I don't have to turn off my music. :)

If I had many items, I'd probably try not to clog up the self-serve and use an actual cashier.

DepravedFurball

From a loss-prevention stand-point, however, only those customers hoping to conceal some purchases would use the self-checkout.

Use the express lane of 12 items or under. Go at different days for different things. Mondays for fruits and veggies. Wednesdays for meats and other sundries. Fridays for personal hygene things.

The express-lane cashiers are the best of the lot. They don't chatter incessantly, and will only ask if you found everything, give your total, and ask if you want a plastic bag. They're the best option, and you'll only need to take out a single earbud to 'converse'.

Kiwong

There is always a long line of people using to auto checkout at woollies. I much prefer the auto check out. There is one in the post office where I can pay my other bills.

MikeyC

From a loss-prevention stand-point, however, only those customers hoping to conceal some purchases would use the self-checkout.
That's true. One time I bought jalapenos and I couldn't find them on the list. The girl monitoring the self-serve was occupied, so I scanned them through as cucumbers. Scored three expensive jalapeno peppers for 27c. :D

The express-lane cashiers are the best of the lot. They don't chatter incessantly, and will only ask if you found everything, give your total, and ask if you want a plastic bag. They're the best option, and you'll only need to take out a single earbud to 'converse'.
This is true, since speed is key. However, when I'm being served, I will pause my music and take out both earphones. I believe it's rude not to. Others may not think so but that's my thing. :)

DepravedFurball

That's true. One time I bought jalapenos and I couldn't find them on the list. The girl monitoring the self-serve was occupied, so I scanned them through as cucumbers. Scored three expensive jalapeno peppers for 27c. :D

This is true, since speed is key. However, when I'm being served, I will pause my music and take out both earphones. I believe it's rude not to. Others may not think so but that's my thing. :)

Bahahahah! Cucapenos. That's #40274. ^^

And sure... social graces get you so far, and it's good that you remove your earbuds to converse... but at WalMart? Dunno if you've got them down there, HandsomeMike, but you should see the slobby-shiek dress-code of North-American WalMarts. 300lbs people in tightpants and wife-beaters walking around...

Though if anyone on here is like that... sorry. >.>

DepravedFurball

Btw, I do all my shopping at 7am, after I come off a night shift, and still wearing my security uniform. Guess how many times I get profiled. :p And that early in the morning, they're all more concerned about getting their stock put away to receive the 8am rush.

MikeyC

Bahahahah! Cucapenos. That's #40274. ^^

And sure... social graces get you so far, and it's good that you remove your earbuds to converse... but at WalMart? Dunno if you've got them down there, HandsomeMike, but you should see the slobby-shiek dress-code of North-American WalMarts. 300lbs people in tightpants and wife-beaters walking around...

Though if anyone on here is like that... sorry. >.>
We don't have Wal-Mart here, but I've seen the website about the people of Wal-Mart, so I know what you're saying. Even if we had a Wal-Mart chain here, I think I would still remove my earphones. I can understand if others don't, but that's just a personal preference. :thumbup:

MikeyC

Btw, I do all my shopping at 7am, after I come off a night shift, and still wearing my security uniform. Guess how many times I get profiled. :p And that early in the morning, they're all more concerned about getting their stock put away to receive the 8am rush.
That's a great time to do it. Beat all the rush. The uniform pulls that off quite nice, too. :)

DepravedFurball

We don't have Wal-Mart here, but I've seen the website about the people of Wal-Mart, so I know what you're saying. Even if we had a Wal-Mart chain here, I think I would still remove my earphones. I can understand if others don't, but that's just a personal preference. :thumbup:

Well I could make a crack about the antipodes having better manners than the Northies, but I won't, 'cause we out-number you. :p

I think the point is having a choice, though. If you needed the music to distract you, then stick with it. They're only clerks, and as long as you don't yell at them for charging you $.02 cents extra on a juicebox, then they aren't going to think you're a horrible person.

MikeyC

Well I could make a crack about the antipodes having better manners than the Northies, but I won't, 'cause we out-number you. :p

I think the point is having a choice, though. If you needed the music to distract you, then stick with it. They're only clerks, and as long as you don't yell at them for charging you $.02 cents extra on a juicebox, then they aren't going to think you're a horrible person.
Lots of countries outnumber us. ;)

They're unlikely to complain, sure, but I know that their days can be really crappy, especially if there's lots of rude customers. Whether I'm going to a fancy hotel or to McDonald's, I smile and try to make my interaction with them as pleasant as possible. If it makes their day even slightly better, then that makes me happy. :) But yeah, I agree that any sort of friendliness is welcomed to those that do customer service.

DepravedFurball

But yeah, I agree that any sort of friendliness is welcomed to those that do customer service.

Said like someone who worked customer service in the past. Same for me; ***'t manager of a busy highway gas-bar for four years. I *owned* that place... in the non-monetary sense.

Lots 50 lbs while I worked there... got three hours of sleep a night due to stress... good money, though, thanks to the tips from the full-service part...

MikeyC

Said like someone who worked customer service in the past. Same for me; ***'t manager of a busy highway gas-bar for four years. I *owned* that place... in the non-monetary sense.

Lots 50 lbs while I worked there... got three hours of sleep a night due to stress... good money, though, thanks to the tips from the full-service part...
I did it once for three months. That was plenty!

Three hours of sleep a night? Mate, I don't know how you survived there for a solid four years, but kudos to you for sticking with it for so long. That's intense.