Attention to the Smilies!

Should These Smilies Be Changed?

• Yes!

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • What the... Do something better with your time!

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

FollowMe

If anyone here truly wants to change the way they think, and I mean truly, then you should realize that you have to give yourself good influences. I will be giving a proposal shortly, albeit it might seem like a silly, insignificant proposal, but it is important nonetheless!

If you would be so kind, please click on the "PostReply" function.

Hello! Once you've made it this far (you're in the PostReply screen), please direct your attention to the right of the screen. What do you see? Smilies! Now, I want you to take a look at a few choice smilies if you don't mind. Pick out the ones that seem a little... contradictory to you. I will lay out the ones that seem most depressing and contradictory to me.

:thumbup: ------;)------:idontknow:

Now, what do you notice about these smilies? The two characteristics I notice most of all are reluctance and embarrassment! I don't know about you, but these smilies give me the impression that I'm supposed to second guess myself for giving someone a thumbs up or a wink! These are important body signals that should be all around pleasant to give. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of problems with social anxiety have to do with a reluctance or an embarrassment to show kindness and who you really are! If you want to wink or give someone a thumbs up offline, you shouldn't feel embarrassed or reluctant to do so. The same concept applies to online! You shouldn't have to give half-assed winks and smilies. Come on! Look at the depressing, reluctant little look to the ground that the "thumbs up" smilie gives before actually giving the thumbs up. Look at the forced smile on its face. Outrageous! You also shouldn't feel ashamed for not knowing something. Shame is the type of impression I get from the "I don't know" smilie.

I know this sounds unimportant but I think that it can be very important! Who's with me!?! Make some changes! One step at a time!

Last edited:

jaim38

I rarely use smilies, so this doesn't affect me. While you're at it, why don't you try convincing people to stop calling these things "smilies" because some of these icons are not even smiling - some are crying, banging heads, angry, etc.

FollowMe

I rarely use smilies, so this doesn't affect me. While you're at it, why don't you try convincing people to stop calling these things "smilies" because some of these icons are not even smiling - some are crying, banging heads, angry, etc.

Uh huh. Genocide also doesn't affect you, but if you could cast a vote to stop it, would you? Sometimes you've got to think about the good of others, you know?

Just... Just disheartening jaim... Here I am putting myself on the line and what do I get in return? :bat: A bat. Just smashing away all of my dreams with a bat. Batter up!

megalon

I see no "reluctance and embarrassment" with the thumbs up or winking smilies. :idontknow:

hmmm, I don't think the winking smiley does show reluctance or embarrassment actually.

As for the "I don't know one" he is supposed to show reluctance as he is showing you are........well, not sure about something :eek:h:

I do agree with you on the thumbs up one. If you are going to give that to someone, it should be a certain, and completely assuring one.

I do love the bigger choice we now have though. There was only a very small choice of smileys before.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Uh huh. Genocide also doesn't affect you, but if you could cast a vote to stop it, would you?

Comparing genocide with smilies...?

92940181.png

FollowMe

Comparing genocide with smilies...?

92940181.png

You, my fellow member, are missing the point. I don't know whether you chose to be ignorant of the point of my analogy, but clearly you are trying to use it against me for whatever purpose... Humor maybe? Anyway, I will point the purpose of my analogy in your direction, in effect, spoon-feeding it to you.

The idea is that just because something doesn't affect you, doesn't mean that you shouldn't help. Does that make sense? Can you get over your prejudices toward the analogy, climb your way up, and see the purpose of it? Get to the top of the mountain and see that being an innocent bystander is almost as bad as being the offender? If you saw someone being raped and you had a gun, would you do anything? Or would you not because it doesn't affect you?

Anyway, this whole thing was more a joke than anything else, lol.

Last edited: