Artists

sleepysparrow

I love to sketch and draw but it seems as if my self-confidence has gotten in the way of any opportunity I could have had in art. Sadly, I give up too easily. The same thing happens when I play guitar, although I know i'm getting better, I lose interest because I can't see myself getting anywhere with it. I like to write songs and sing when i'm alone, and when I paint and draw it's hard for me to show my work. I wish I could get over this fear. This is just one of the many things about my anxiety that make life really difficult. Do any of you feel the same?

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
sleepysparrow said:
I love to sketch and draw but it seems as if my self-confidence has gotten in the way of any opportunity I could have had in art. Sadly, I give up too easily. The same thing happens when I play guitar, although I know i'm getting better, I lose interest because I can't see myself getting anywhere with it. I like to write songs and sing when i'm alone, and when I paint and draw it's hard for me to show my work. I wish I could get over this fear. This is just one of the many things about my anxiety that make life really difficult. Do any of you feel the same? I'd like to hear from anyone who feels the way I do. It's really comforting to know that i'm not alone in this...

No, you're not the only one who does that, Sleepysparrow. I can relate there. I'm the same when it comes to drawing, painting and writing. I also play guitar, so I can relate to the lose of interest you get.

Also do you find yourself when it comes to drawing or painting, starting something but not having the motivation or interest to complete it? I do that also.

Last edited:

sleepysparrow

Yes, I find that happens most of the time, although there's so much I want to accomplish it's so hard to try or find motivation to finish because most of the time I just don't believe i'm good enough so I feel like, why bother? I'm trying to get over this but it's frustrating trying to understand what makes me so afraid, when I WANT to do these things. I want to draw, I want to play music, something is just always holding me back.
:(

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
sleepysparrow said:
Yes, I find that happens most of the time, although there's so much I want to accomplish it's so hard to try or find motivation to finish because most of the time I just don't believe i'm good enough so I feel like, why bother? I'm trying to get over this but it's frustrating trying to understand what makes me so afraid, when I WANT to do these things. I want to draw, I want to play music, something is just always holding me back.

:( I know how you feel, I also think I'm not good enough. Depressing and frustrating, isn't it? We want to accomplish something but self-doubt seems to be the main thing holding us back.

sketchy24

Mm I'm similar. I like to draw but my drawings never get past the sketch stage and thats if I even ever finish the sketch. I grow impatient easily especially if its someone in a pose I haven't really had any experience drawing so rather than working at improving, I get frustrated and throw the drawing out.

I would like to be an animator, I'm saving money for school in fact for like animation and stuff... but I'm worried it's gonna be a waste of money or I wont really love it. That and I don't keep drawing like I should so my skills are not nearly what they could be.

Plus I really don't know what kind of future I'd have in animation anyway so that doesn't really motivate me either. First I don't like 3D animation, I prefer traditional and cell shaded; 2D animation. Second, in order for me to draw well and all I have to be very interested in or excited about the idea. Plus I think I'd get bored drawing so many frames of the same character slightly changed. Of course if I was really excited about the story or whatever, I think I'd do fine.

asubscriber99

i have the same problem, when i write or do anything creative, i feel anxious to let anyone read it or see it.

this is very devastating, sometimes i submit an article to school's mag, and try to forget about it forever in order to avoid feedback!!!!!!

sleepysparrow

sketchy24 said:
Mm I'm similar. I like to draw but my drawings never get past the sketch stage and thats if I even ever finish the sketch. I grow impatient easily especially if its someone in a pose I haven't really had any experience drawing so rather than working at improving, I get frustrated and throw the drawing out.

I would like to be an animator, I'm saving money for school in fact for like animation and stuff... but I'm worried it's gonna be a waste of money or I wont really love it. That and I don't keep drawing like I should so my skills are not nearly what they could be.

Plus I really don't know what kind of future I'd have in animation anyway so that doesn't really motivate me either. First I don't like 3D animation, I prefer traditional and cell shaded; 2D animation. Second, in order for me to draw well and all I have to be very interested in or excited about the idea. Plus I think I'd get bored drawing so many frames of the same character slightly changed. Of course if I was really excited about the story or whatever, I think I'd do fine.

You sound a lot like me. Over-thinking and worrying about things that don't matter to most. Also, you seem a little indecisive about what you want to do, and I feel the same way. It's funny when you see through someone else's eyes how irrational it is to not move forward with something you really want to try. If it means anything coming from me, I hope you find what you want to do and go through with it. I wish I could give the same advice to myself sometimes.

sleepysparrow

Graeme6630 said:
sleepysparrow said:

:( I know how you feel, I also think I'm not good enough. Depressing and frustrating, isn't it? We want to accomplish something but self-doubt seems to be the main thing holding us back.

edit

ReVeR

sleepysparrow said:
I love to sketch and draw but it seems as if my self-confidence has gotten in the way of any opportunity I could have had in art. Sadly, I give up too easily. The same thing happens when I play guitar, although I know i'm getting better, I lose interest because I can't see myself getting anywhere with it. I like to write songs and sing when i'm alone, and when I paint and draw it's hard for me to show my work. I wish I could get over this fear. This is just one of the many things about my anxiety that make life really difficult. Do any of you feel the same? I'd like to hear from anyone who feels the way I do. It's really comforting to know that i'm not alone in this...

true i waste so many materials cuz of this as well as i get tired of playin the piano so quick (or trying to play the piano :?)
but some times a litle good'ol motivation does the trick... tree that is, :D

dpr

sleepysparrow said:

Hey sleepy, I'm a guitar player (and teacher) and I totally relate on this one. I write and record songs and I know I am good at that one thing... songwriting. But I am currently studying for some exam doing all sorts of boring shit (scales, arpeggios) and stuff I don't really want to do, just so I can get a dumb grade and it's this big monstrous THING to achieve with all the pressure that goes with it, and like you I feel like I'm going nowhere. Well I guess more accurately, I can tell I am getting better, but I can also see how much farther I have to go which just makes me want to quit altogether ya know?

If you want any advice on improving your playing or whatever, just let me know. And remember, just learn what you like. Learn to play songs you like. You'll get better just doing that!

I think my biggest obstacle to my artishness is dividing my time. When I'm playing guitar, I feel like I should be writing, when I'm writing I feel like I should be making movies, etc. etc... Never satisfied... it's weird

lizzz

This is true of my experience. Hope this doesn't sound like an insincere thing to say, but I imagine you've all got more ability than alot of people who think they are great. It's unfair that you are held back.

I think my greatest regret was giving up a fine art degree. In retrospect, I was basically nervous about revealing anything about myself, or having something of my own displayed and scruntinised. I remember being so scared about an impending exhibition. I was always pretty 'safe' with my own artwork - scared to take risks, depsite admiring the work of people who did.

The worst thing was, I met a few great people who became friends there (was only there a month). We were sort of compatible with our tastes and things and appreciated each other - only I felt totally stunted, as I'd avoided people for so long believing most people to be gits (they were :wink: ) - and my self-belief was zero. I didn't even imagine they'd wana keep in touch I was so unassuming.
If only I'd met the people in my life in a difference order. I might have a different story painted on me.

Kien

I'm shaping a model atm for my school assignment. I was unpleased with the face but apparantly it was the tits that needed work. :S I don't have much time left. 8O

kuze

I absolutely relate to this, I'm very interested in art, I read about it all the time. I've been sporatically teaching myself to draw for months now, I love making pictures. At the same time i deal with terrible depression, most days I'm too depressed to even get out of bed and do anything, much less create art. In these moments I feel worthless and worry that the pictures would be poorly made, so I don't even try, I bearly even feel the excitement during these times. This is very troubling for me because I love art and want to be a better artist but sa and depression cause major problems for my growth.

bluebird274

I'm a writer and I used to also have a real passion for photography. I'd like to get into that more and learn about clay sculpture. But these psychological problems are so draining, I waste so much of my energy on it instead of focusing on work, and feeling free to be creative. I'm happiest when I can lose myself in creative work, but I rarely reach that state. I feel like anxiety kills creativity, or at least hinders it.

Now I'm trying to set up a blog where I can post my writing and my anxiety sure interferes with getting it done. I compare myself to others who actually have lives, and are engaged with the world. I get depressed and anxious about the state I'm in, and I know this is really self-defeating.

yohannes

yeah I used to be a great artist in my early teens. Me and my friends were thinking about starting our own comic book. I used to draw every day, but when i grew up I kind of lost interest. I also was a very good runner long distance. I came secound in a competition. I still run, but i don't compete. I was also a good soccer player and basketball player. I don't play any more kind of nervous around people.

NormanBates

I have several tablets full of comics I drew as a kid. And it was habit for me to make illustrated story books. I usually hid them under my bed.

worrywort

you need a vision or a dream and you need to really get a taste for how sweet it'd be. That's where your motivation will come from. My advice would be to spend some time just dreaming. Really revel in it. Think of all your favourite artists and musicians and picture yourself in their position. Think how great it'd be if you could draw or play like them. Think of how proud you'd feel about yourself. Think about all this and then start building up some plans of how you could get there. Think about what it is that you could specifially say that would make your style unique. Your social anxiety for example....we could always use more voices in the art world from a social anxiety perspective. Or just think of anything you'd like to tell the world really. Then try and break up your ultimate goal into lots of little more managable goals. Just try lots of mini experiments where each song or picture you try something a little bit different. Always pushing yourself a little bit further each time.....and before you know it, you'll be the most vital artist of the 21st century! no probs!

I don't know really....these are just the things I tell myself when I'm in your position [which is often!].....but some general advice would be to

1. definitely have goals but make sure they're managable, challenging and enticing.
2. treat everything as an experiment. Art should be about discovery [imo!], so whats the point in doing something that you already know what the result will be. Every piece should be an experiment and therefore you will probably fail often. Infact you should expect it! Which means the pressures off. It's ok to fail!
3. "it's better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation" - herman melville
4. Take the bad with the good. [check out this guy.....he was very helpful to me... http://blogs.personallifemedia.com/creative/ episode 1: doubting process is really good.
5. "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race” - Calvin Coolidge
6. The key to turning dreams into reality is perserverance