Are you a highschool dropout?

los77

^^ yeah i knew geniuses that never got good grades or graduated, the school system just didnt captivate their attention, probably because of so much dumb **** they force you to learn

agoraphobickatie

yeah i dropped out of high school because i hated it.. i hated it because the teachers were nazis and more interested in dress code and punishment rather than educating.. which i guess is due to all of the no good thugs that went to my school.. i dropped out my senior year and took the GED, i was enrolled in college before my class graduated, lol.. my only regret is that i didn't drop out sooner, i coulda aced the GED in like 9th grade! haha

lavender

Yeah, I dropped out in 10th grade and then I went back to an adult school when I was 18 and dropped out a second time :S. I'm going to write my GED in the new year.

planemo

University drop out actually. I still feel really depressed about it. The worst thing though is that all the things I studied (stuff like equating the tensile stresses in structural steel beams, and measuring complex building structures) have all gone to waste. It was highly specialized theory but in the end I'm just like someone who never wanted to study anything at all, and I couldn't make anything of myself, just coz of anxiety. ::(:

I graduated, but consistently underperformed. Combination of anxiety and insomnia. But don't feel too bad if you didn't make it the first time round or in the 'conventional system'. Sometimes the systems are too rigid and it's just hard to accommodate everyone's learning pace as well as their difficulties (in my case, insomnia and anxiety)...

Section_31

I dropped out in my first yr of highschool. I was transferred to a new schol away from all my friends because i lived in a different area of the city.

First yr of highschool and completley alone, i had such an overwhelming fear, and i didnt udnerstand how everyone else just seemed so...normal. I didnt do gym class, because of what happened in a different incendent in another school, because i didnt like changing with other people, so i skipped all the time, got kicked out, panicked, and didnt tell my dad for 6 months. So for the next 6 months, he would think i was at school, when in reality, i would do whatever i had to to be out of the house when he might be home from work before i was supposed to get home from school. Ride the city transit busses all over town, or the train, or go for very long walks, or whatever. My anxiety of telling him, as well as the anxiety of going, kept me so scared i couldnt say anything. The more time went on, the longer i felt like i was digging my own grave.

Eventually, during the 2nd semester, my highschool that i should have been transferred to, called my dad asking me if i would be coming back that semester. Thats when he found out. And man...talk about a sh!tstorm....

He basically forced me into a meeting with him, the principal, vice prinical, school cop, and guidance counselor, who basically all told me how bad i was, what path i was going down, ect ect. I quietly felt this was a bit overblown, while i admit not attenting was not a good thing, i never did drugs or drank, i never even smoked ffs!. So they made me sign a "Contract" saying i woudl go and be a good little boy, i think t hey did that just to try to make me feel like an equal but in reality you just know theres nothing yuo can do.

What gets me, to this day, is no one ever asked me "why" i dropped out, and never said anything. Maybe i wouldve said somthing, the truth, maybe i wouldnt. Maybe it wouldve gotten me the help i needed years sooner.

Just makes me shake my head. If my kids do somthing like that, im not gonna talk, im going to listen instead.

Dr. Doom

No way, I would in a second but instead of having my dad chop my head off, I'd rather just have a highschool diploma. Instead I just get D's and C's, all I need to do is pass. I want to be an artist and eventually open a smallish comic company. I figure I don't have to go to Yale to do that.

What gets me, to this day, is no one ever asked me "why" i dropped out, and never said anything. Maybe i wouldve said somthing, the truth, maybe i wouldnt. Maybe it wouldve gotten me the help i needed years sooner.

Sorry to hear that... your experience sounded REALLY unfair. I'm surprised no one actually asked you WHY you dropped out.

Section_31

I forgot to mention, i DID graduate with my diploma, but not untill i was 22 :S. I was the oldest grad in my class.

Horatio

I dropped out of high school because I couldn't stand the bullying any more.

At first I was a mess but then I got a few part time jobs and eventually enrolled to do a degree. I graduated and have had a successful career.

It certainly isn't easy with anxiety and depression, but looking back I have no regrets at all about my dropping out of high school. There are many different ways to achieve goals and high school isn't always the best way for everyone.

Lexus199

I'm not a dropout but I'm 26 and still in college. I have about a year left but it's been slow going. I suppose that's ok as long as I graduate eventually.

LadyWench

Sadly, yes. Actually, I'm a junior high school dropout. I failed the 8th grade due to severe anxiety and having too many absences because of it. I went back and didn't even last two months. I couldn't handle it and dropped out. I tried getting my GED, but feared failure and gave up. I've never tried again since then. It's pretty pathetic and it's probably the one major thing I regret in my life. I let my mental and emotional problems get the best of me and take control of my life and education. Ugh. Just thinking about it brings about a lot of self-hatred. I just should have stuck through it and not been such a wuss. I shouldn't have given in.

I can at least say that compared to a lot of the morons in the town I live in that DID graduate high school, my intelligence trumps theirs, even though I didn't step foot in high school.

Emma, GO BACK

there are alternative/acceleration programs you can get into and recieve your HS diploma very quickly

do it now and don't wait until you're 30 years old

USE GOOGLE TO FIND THEM IN YOUR AREA

ありがとう

Nope... Although there were many times I wanted to drop out in high school, I stuck out till the end mainly because I didn't have a good reason to leave, didn't really want anxiety to ruin my life, it painfully made me anxious and lonely (had no friends then) and in result I couldn't achieve as good as I can get. Still, it got me where I am now - nearly finished my college degree with a good grade... So you never know how it turns out really!