Are anti-anxiety meds REALLY addictive?

this_portrait

Title kinda says all.

I'm just curious to know if they are, in your experiences (for those of you who have taken or currently do take them).

MyTunnel

Banned
Some can be but they have been phasing them out. Like xanax they don't prescribe much, they give out milder meds that are less addictive. Problem is people would abuse them and take like a handful of pills rather than 1 like they were supposed to.

Quiet Angel

I took Lorazapam to help with my frequent panic attacks and it was very addicting because the dose was strong. It made me feel calm, relaxed, peaceful, carefree, settled, and blissful. No anxiety or panic existed whatsoever, but slight spacey-ness. It's like you're drunk but alert and can function normally. The humongous downside is that it makes you extremely drowsy after time. I took a few naps per day and still slept perfectly fine at night. It takes two days or so for the drowsiness to fully leave me. Once that happens, my brain feels like "mush" and my communication is more sloppy and unintelligent-sounding. I always wanted to take one per day, even when I didn't have any anxiety, so that's why I got prescribed a different med.

I'm on Paxil now to manage anxiety and it's just a regular ol' medication like the others.

this_portrait

Thanks for the input, guys. The reason I ask is because my therapist has recently suggested to me (for the second or third time) that I go on an SSRI. I'm really considering it, at least temporarily, because I've tried the harder, natural way so many times with no luck. My family is skeptical, though, because of all the horror stories they've heard about some people becoming even more depressed after taking meds or even becoming suicidal.

I don't want to be on meds permanently. If they can just give me a little push to get out there and be more social without feeling like a nervous wreck, then I'm fine with that. I'm tired of constantly feeling uncomfortable in my gut whenever I go to say things like "Hi, how are you?" to people.

Apotheosis

Depends on the med, and its effects.

Most 'short term' anxiety pills, like benzos, are addictive when used in nonprescribed quantities, but more mild ones and medications with anxiety reduction as a secondary effect like SSRI's (as is stated above) are not.

Basically, if you can get a 'high' off the drug, it's likely to be addictive.

The best route would be to research effects/talk with the doctor before taking any meds you're worried about. Even a quick google search can be very enlightening.

KiaKaha

Banned
I am not sure. I have heard of some people getting addicted to medication, particularly when they are trying to come off them. I havent had any bad experience with any drugs so far...aside from the odd side affect. Benzo's are supposed to be addictive, I was on them for a few months a while back and there werent any problems coming off them. Anti depressants like SSRI's and MAOI's are not addictive I dont think...although I do know that with MAOI's there are some foods that you arent supposed to eat. Antidepressants tend to give me insomnia and appetite problems.

I probably didnt really help, but I think everyone is different and reacts to drugs in their own way.

doesit

i started using xanax 4 months ago for anxiety and blushing attacks.i started with the dose of 0.5mg,and straight away from first day i was a normal person could easily communicate no more blushing or anxiety,drugs kick in, in minutes and wear of fast.And even thou i only used them only when needed and couple times a week,now i need at least 2mg on same days to reach the same effect,on high stress situations.Theres no such thing as craving for the drug or need to use it when not needed or to get high.The only thing is that after prolonged use body gets used to the dosage and effects wear off,i guess with proper management of changing drugs every few months this could be easily avoided.the only minus are side effects as eventually u get sleepy,its good form one side to take a nap for an hour to get some rest after days work for some people ;) but it also affects memory,you sorta start to question things you did or not do :confused: ,the only reason that doctors don't like prescribing them is that after stopping to use benzos all the symptoms of anxiety return,so unless you believe you can somehow change your pattern of thinking and brain chemistry to be less anxious and deal with stressful situations without meds then there's psychotherapy,nlp and other stuff that can help.

D

deleted #89

Not addictive at all and DONT WORK AT ALL.

Anti-anxiety and anti-depressant numb you from the real problem. You have to feel and face your uncomfortable emotions to get rid of anxiety. Anxiety comes from avoiding all these emotions. Don't slow down your recovery with medication.

MercySparx

It depends on the medication, doctors usually prescribe anti-depressants for anxiety. I know that I have been on and off Anti-depressants for years, so I know that they're emotionally addictive. Before going on anything I would suggest talking to someone whos a psychologist. I don't trust psychiatrists or general physicians.

MercySparx

Not addictive at all and DONT WORK AT ALL.

Anti-anxiety and anti-depressant numb you from the real problem. You have to feel and face your uncomfortable emotions to get rid of anxiety. Anxiety comes from avoiding all these emotions. Don't slow down your recovery with medication.

I disagree, my experience with antidepressants was that once I had been on them, they gave me perspective for when I was off them. I had seen the other side, since then I have never had a panic attack due to social anxiety again, I realized that my fears were irrational. I think they can help the recovery process immensely.

MercySparx

not at all for me.. my doctor tried to convince me to stay on them but i came off them myself

Well like I said, I have zero faith in the health care system, because we live in a capitilistic society people are usually motivated by monetary gain. I think that alot of people who are on drugs, don't need drugs. Still though, it depends on the person. We all have different body chemistry and drugs affect each of us in an individual way. You will never know until you try it. I know that Celexa was a pivital(sp?) part of my recovery.

Rawz

Well I've used Lorazepam off and on for years without any problems with addiction. I've rarely taken more than the one at a time/more than the base dose that mine are. And a couple of the times that I have taken more, I didn't like how calm it made me. I've really only used it when having panic attacks or severe anxiety.

During the past year or so my family doctor always asks me about addiction, etc.

1BlackSheep

I took Paxil for panic attacks for a few years and didn't have any addiction problems. It pretty much cured me of my panic attacks! There's all kinds of sites on the web that claim people have had bad withdrawl symptoms when going off Paxil, but I didn't experience any of this.

Paxil is a "black box" drug (FDA warning) due to reports of increased suicidal thinking and behavior in young adults, ages 18 to 24, during initial treatment.

Mokkat

neither Zoloft or Citalopram medicine has given me any kind of backlash for not taking them

sullyS25

Benzo's are very addictive....some more than others. The withdrawal from Benzo's is very dangerous and is horrible. Xanax is the worst because it has a very small half-life which causes you to want more faster. They have stopped prescribing it as much but if they choose a different benzo over Xanax that doesn't mean it isn't addictive and abusing it won't lead to serious withdrawal when you stop taking it. I have had a horrible experience as the result of Benzo withdrawal and can say first-hand that they are very addictive for me.

Some people do not have addictive personalities though and can take Xanax or other benzos like they are prescribed.....I am not one of them....you might be.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you have an addictive personality and always want more of something that makes you feel different (like no amount is ever enough), then I would stay away from benzos.

SM1010

It depends on the medication AND your personality.

Personality has a lot to do with it. If you don't have an addictive personality you're probably not going to be addicted to any anti-anxiety drugs.

In the past I've been prescribed klonopin as needed. I was completely fine with taking 2 or less a week.

Shyangel

These meds sound great. Why can't we just stay on these things every day of our lives? It makes us happy, we don't have anxiety, why not?

ChrystaR

It depends on the medication AND your personality.

Personality has a lot to do with it. If you don't have an addictive personality you're probably not going to be addicted to any anti-anxiety drugs.

Exactly.

SSRI's are not addictive because they can't give you a 'high'. Also, my Psychiatrist has told me (and other doctors) that you're only more likely to have suicidal thoughts, if you were already suicidal.

I've never had any adverse affects from my antidepressants.

My dad has a bit of a prescription pill addiction, and he takes Xanax and he takes it because it can get him high. If you are the type of person who likes being high, it would definitely be easier for you to abuse the prescription and take much more of it so you can get high. But in my opinion it comes down to a choice, it's not so addictive like cigaretts that your body is reacting to not having enough, it's a choice of whether you want to drown out your pain and get high.

Abusing Benzo meds is how people force their bad feelings to go away because at a certain point, you end up in a la-la land and you don't really feel. SSRI and other antidepressants don't do this at all.

I've been given Klonopin and Xanax, and I hardly ever use it because I don't know if it truly works for me. Maybe it's because my doctors always give me low doses and it isn't strong enough, but every time I take them I never really know if they helped or if I calmed myself down.

As I said in another thread, antidepressants truly saved me. I suffered horribly for two years until I couldn't take it anymore and got help. The meds gave me my life back to the point that I wasn't in fear every day of my life. I think my success (which is not 100%) has come 60% from antidepressants and 20% from exposure. Several times I have gone off my pills for a couple weeks and I definitely notice my symptoms coming back; the blushing and sweating happening far more often and with less negative stimulation.

But really, it comes down to each individual person. Some say the meds never work for them, and some like me say it really helps. I think if anyone is unsure of whether they will work, just give it a try at least.