Apartments??

lyricalliaisons

Does anyone here live in an apartment? I was hoping people who live in apartments could tell me what it’s like & if it has affected your social anxiety & how.

We’ll be moving soon & may have to move into an apartment, although that would be very bad for me, seeing as how I’m basically agoraphobic & afraid to leave the house we (me & my disabled mother) live in now most of the time because of neighbors around. There will be FAR more neighbors, & far much more noise in an apartment building (noises scare me), but I may have no other choice. I recently found out that the city I live in is cutting the bus system completely on Dec. 31st, so we need to move to a place where everything is within walking distance, since that’s our only form of transportation. The problem is, the only place that fits that description has only apartment buildings nearby, & no houses.

So, I was hoping people could give me their experiences with apartment buildings. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Krista

Apartments aren't really that bad. Everyone usually minds their own business and our's only get really rowdy when it's the weekend but even then it's not bad. Depending on who you're livng with like a roomate you might meet more people because of them but no one bothers you.

spect01

I live in a condo (wooded setting) (there are several condos) sorta like a secluded village in the suburbs. It's quiet. There's woods out back. It's peaceful at night. Unfortanetly there is nothing in walking distance except for a gas station. I've lived in the suburbs my whole life. It's not so bad.

Apartments aren't created equal. Some are quiet, some are really noisy. Mine's quiet most of the week, but fridays are leaf blower torture and weekend daytime is filled with the sound of kids playing. On the other hand, when I lived with my parents on two acres the dog barking noises irritated me... I don't have to deal with that anymore.

If it's a skyscraper, obviously you'll have more close neighbors and thus more noise than if it's a 4-plex.

As far as social anxiety, I don't think living in an apartment has made any difference.

I've lived in apartments for most of my life. As Hoth says, what it's like all depends on the place. Where I am now, people live in close proximity, but mostly keep to themselves. I notice that I'll wait to leave only when I feel no one is around (a personal thing). You may have to put up with the occasional loud music or noise from next door. Most of my neighbors have been very kind.

jmroszczak

I lived in a house for like 5 years then last year moved to this little condo building...(which i think looks like a small motel lol) anyways i was really dreading it because i was basically "agoraphobic" in the other house..and yet we were still pretty secluded... anyways so yeah we moved here and we even moved in the dark time so i didnt have to talk to any neighbors..and well now living here basically for over a year I havent really talked to my neighbors at all..and for the most part they havent seen me..because i havent been going out of it O.O ...

BUTTT I finally had a wake up call back in sept. and FINALLY sought out help...I have been seeing therapist since sept. and just recently a Psychiatrist who prescribed me meds. and well I have been going out much more..and since i have been on meds i have even been going out in day time...Not caring what my neighbors think of me or if i run into them. My therapist told me that If It takes me just putting my head down and walking past my neighbors not even saying hi to get me out of the condo..then thats GREAT. That advice really helped...That and the Klonopin.

P.S my neighbors are nosey as hell(thats an understatement)

But to answer your question..my social phobia has actually improved since being forced to live here. good luck!

It depends on the area ad the people I guess..I've been living alone in apartments since I graduated high school in 2004. Never had any stressful social experiences..like another person said, we all mind our own business. I I see one of my neighbors as I'm leaving/walking the puppy..it's always a short hello/good morning/how are you and that's it..it's great. The only time I get annoyed is when the pest control guys come randomly once a month..early in the morning as I'm sleeping..it's not hot when you're answering the door in pjs, morning breath, and hair a hot mess lol I digress, apartment life is great..I don't like one of my neighbors much..Ives pretty shady and I BELIEVE him and his shady friends STOLE the GPS from my car..and they're always looking at me weird when I'm bringing home groceries...i never say anything when him and his friends are out on the steps having a smoke..I always think their judging me but whatever...the others
neighbors are cool like I said it's always a friendly hello and "have a nice day" with them. I've been rambling...sorry

lyricalliaisons

Thanks for all your comments :)

I still don't think I could manage an apartment. One of the reason I'm always afraid to leave the house here is because I have a neighbor who's always saying "Hi." & "How are you?" etc. & I know that's going to be a million times worse in an apartment because it's going to be more than just one person. I just don't know how I'm going to deal with it. After a few months of not leaving the house at all, I've finally started to get a little better the past few weeks, & I know being confronted with all the people on a daily basis, & the noise, & having people on all sides of me, is just going to make that worse. But I may have no choice ::(:.

I've lived in apartments since 2003, and I can't recall any neighbor ever saying "hi" or "how are you?" I've never really met or talked to any neighbor, I just see them going in and out. I guess I'm lucky to have antisocial neighbors. The apartment managers are the only social challenge, but I only have to deal with their "hi" and "thank you" once a month when give them rent.

In my experience, it's rural places with less people that have more danger of neighbors trying to socialize. In my parents' rural area people would say hi and wave to me frequently because they're all so annoyingly friendly up there. If you're more urban, people are tired of other people and keep to themselves.

Last edited:

Richey

Its my dream to one day live in my own flat/apartment as corny as that sounds, whether that's renting or owning it. i've rented before but right now im a student looking for work and living in an apartment feels like a million miles away for me because of financial reasons.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I live in apartment and I'd rather live in apartment than house. It's safer. I don't really care about the neighbours, they don't care either, they are not exactly "normal" people, so i don't mind them and it haven't affected me.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
There's more people to watch through the blinds, and sometimes really great arguments to listen to on the weekends. I looked at it as a case study in the weirdness of non-agoros. Ha Ha

Honk

I just moved to an appartment again, and I think it's better for me than having flatmates.

I can't cope with flatmates anyway.
Yet they make me feel less lonely wich leads to me not caring enough about my barely existant social life.

imashy1

Apartment living isn't bad. I live alone and hardly ever see my neighbors. There are a couple down from me that are friendly, and one has SA too and sometimes they come to visit and leave. I don't feel judged by them so it is okay.

And as Fairfax said, lots of great arguments on the weekends. Never know what you'll hear!

Weirdo

lyricalliaisons and Hoth, thank you for making me laugh really hard for some minutes. For some reason I found your last 2 posts at the end of the first page extremely hilarious, I hope you don't get offended :p

lyricalliaisons

Thanks for your comments :)

Most of your replies, though I'm sure they were meant to help, have only made me realize even more while living in an apartment will be bad for me. Some of you have mentioned how it's great to listen to arguments on the weekends, well that, for me, is one of the many reasons I'm afraid of living in an apartment. I'm terrified of fighting & I don't like hearing it, or seeing it. Our last place was a duplex & we had neighbors like that who terrified me. I also don't like "friendly" neighbors. I have one of those right now. He scares me because he's always trying to talk to me. He's a very social person & wants to be friends with everyone, but I get scared when people talk to me & I try to avoid him. That makes it even harder for me to leave the house. I still don't know how I'm going to handle an apartment, I know it will just set me further back, but we have to move to a place that's near everything since the county is getting rid of the bus system & we'll have zero transportation after December 31.

As for your post, "Weirdo," this is a very serious issue to me, & is not a joke. I'm really & truly terrified & worried over the thought of living in an apartment building. I can understand if something like this seems ridiculous to you, but it's not to me, at all.