anyone walk trails alone?

aloneloner

My mom used to take me along the creek when I was younger. I've always loved walking trails, but it makes me feel uncomfortable going alone:sad:
Fear of people thinking I'm weird/crazy...Is it?
I love the peacefulness of the woods. It feels like some people look down on that though :crying:

Kiwong

yeah, I walk trails alone, I run on trails alone. That's where I fin peace. I also explore off trails alone, deep into the wilderness. Now that is fun, a real adventure.

There are hiking groups with people who love walking trails. It is a very popular pastime. If you don't like walking alone, perhaps you could join a hiking group?

TreeBones

Well I don't walk any trails but I know how you feel. I walk like every night, I go to the park I use to go to when I was a kid and just swing and listen to music. Sometimes Kids will come there to hang out and makeout and stuff and I feel like they're thinking "what is that weird creepy girl doing here late every night swinging By Herself?" But I don't mind them, if it's something I really enjoy and makes me happy I'm going to keep doing it anyways.

My mom used to take me along the creek when I was younger. I've always loved walking trails, but it makes me feel uncomfortable going alone:sad:
Fear of people thinking I'm weird/crazy...Is it?
I love the peacefulness of the woods. It feels like some people look down on that though :crying:

This is one of my favourite things, and I prefer to do it alone so that I can stop and take the time to explore, listen, photograph, think. I don't like being with other people who talk non-stop or treat it as an exercise track to be walked through as fast as possible.

EternalIce

Walking trails alone is great! Going at night is even better IMO, there is a certain tranquil feeling about it... Although the feeling can be dispelled if there is too many people around... Especially teenagers, they freak me out.
So I guess we're in the same boat.

aloneloner

I want to do it alone. I guess I'm just worried about scaring people/thinking its creepy.
Its like..I was always told to stay away from strangers when I was younger and when I'm out there alone, i know that I am a stranger to anyone I'll see..so I feel like everyone is gonna be scared of me..I know I'm not going to hurt them, and I know I can defend myself if they try to hurt me.. I just..what I think they are thinking is holding me back.
The ironic thing is I'm going there to get some solitude..just want some peacefulness in my life :/

edit: I can go on trails with other people and the feeling of people thinking I'm crazy is completely gone. No one I know likes walking trails as much as I do tho..so I want to venture out alone.

Last edited:
..so I feel like everyone is gonna be scared of me..I know I'm not going to hurt them, and I know I can defend myself if they try to hurt me.. I just..what I think they are thinking is holding me back.

Challenge the thought - go out alone one time then evaluate if the belief equaled the experience

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I do that all the time and I think people who think it's weird should really spend some time alone with themselves because there is something they didn't get.. But most of the time I don't get any "weird" vibe from anyone who crosses my path. Hikers are mostly friendly.

And, in fact I like it way better alone. there is a really few select people with whom I like to hike other than with myself, other than that it just annoys me, and hiking with a group makes me want to kill myself.

I find being out in nature alone a very peaceful experience. Every now and then when I am stressed out I ride my bike down to this quiet little spot surrounded by nothing but trees, grass, and deer. I just go down there and sit on one of the tree stumps and reflect. Sometimes I think about writing while I'm down there but I prefer to just sit and listen to the sounds around me. I definitely don't see anything wrong with going on a nature walk alone but I suggest definitely taking protection with you and letting someone know that you are going. Just precautions in case anything happens. Also mark your trail so you don't get lost and I'd try not to go too far from home. Basically prepare yourself and be smart about it but definitely go for it if you wish. Don't worry about the people that might find you creepy, you're not so what do they care. Enjoy it most of all :)

Especially when you're alone, you can also go off trail to places where other people rarely go, this is a noisy frog pond I discovered doing that yesterday

tumblr_mtkvsujWYK1qhgwvgo1_500.jpg

This is one of my favourite things, and I prefer to do it alone so that I can stop and take the time to explore, listen, photograph, think. I don't like being with other people who talk non-stop or treat it as an exercise track to be walked through as fast as possible.
I agree. People that hike in groups annoy me the most, especially the loud ones. It's called a Nature hike for a reason, because you're supposed to witness some nature while you're out there. How are you supposed to spot a deer or a bear or any other animal that's not a squirrel when you're talking so loud the village a half mile over can hear you @_@

MollyBeGood

I love to hike alone...well I do take my dog with me so I am technically not "alone". I never care what anyone thinks when I am in the woods which is why I love to go there. I have had the best most inspiring times by myself, experiencing nature and not having to be worried about talking or keeping up, or following someone else. I usually have great creative thoughts and sometimes I might be scared b/c of bears or big predator animals around here which makes me feel even more alive.
Last time I went hiking my dog got in a tiff with a marmot-he almost got his nose bitten off! He was such a cute little guy with some serious balls to fight off my 100 lb dog so well.

Lamb

I've always been fearful to do it by myself. That and getting lost. Wanted to say though, I've seen many people venture out solo. When I see women alone it makes me wish I had more courage. But no it isn't odd thing to do at all. Very common!

hidwell

Walking in the bush alone is my favourite past time, a few weeks ago I saw a wombat for the first time it really made my day.

MollyBeGood

I've always been fearful to do it by myself. That and getting lost. Wanted to say though, I've seen many people venture out solo. When I see women alone it makes me wish I had more courage. But no it isn't odd thing to do at all. Very common!

I worry about getting lost too. I try to leave ribbons for example on a tree on the trail when ever I make directional turns down another trail, or I try to do it in my head. I wish I had the male inborn directional sense :ironicsmile:
I have been lost a few times and once I saw a mother moose and baby b/c I took the wrong road so sometimes getting lost can be rewarding too :) I try not to let the fear of it stop me though, and it has gotten easier with time...I have gotten more confident.

Trishanku

It was actually my first therapist. Who introduced me to hiking in the woods, she took me along with a group of people for a tiger census programme. she is pretty adventurous herself and i was only glad that she happened to be my therapist.

I've been like three to four hiking trips with her and seen some really wonderful places. I have never felt so alive ever I must say! ever since I took up biking, usually i do solo trips. for the last two years I've been planning to go on a solo bike trip around my country. But my parents and relatives are not convinced.

Hitting a trail alone sounds awesome, I guess why people seem to react to that in a interesting way is because of the safety issue. I remember watching the movie '127 hrs' with my mom and she looked at me when the guy gets stuck.

^I don't worry about getting lost but I do worry about falling down, I tend to want to climb things :blushing:

MikeyC

As long as you're adequately prepared for the trail you're doing (good shoes, water, knowing your way back to people), walking alone is not weird. I've done it before and I'm probably going to do it again in coming days. You'll love it. :)