anyone rich and still lonley?

MikeyC

They hate me because I told the truth about their only son being abusive. They don't like to believe their family is messed up. But, my grandma was the abusive one (the most) to my adoptive father and my aunts. Even though my grandpa was in the military and was abusive too, my grandma controls him! She is stuck up, religious, and hates anyone going outside of her "norm". It's funny, because she disowns me, but my one cousin who dropped out of school, got knocked up, and married a Mexican man (they are very racist), isn't disowned. Not that there is a problem with what my cousin did. In fact, there is a lot of religious abuse and as a result, my cousin "branched out", and that's why it happened. The last time I was on the phone with my grandma, he tried to say I love you, but my grandma made him hang up. The last time they sent me a birthday card, they gave me $20 for my 18th, typed me a formal, business type "letter" telling me they expect a thank you for their glorious generosity, and typed "Sincerely, Grannie and Grandpa." Didn't even sign it, or say "Love". They gave my sister $75 dollars, and she was only turning 13. It's partly because she is my adoptive fathers real child, and I am not. My grandmother is a cold hard...eh em. But I don't need to suck up to them, as if I need their money or something. She can live in her racist community full of hateful *******s. :O
That all sounds terrible. ::(: I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

ohheybbyitscorixx

That all sounds terrible. ::(: I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Luckily, I am not too close to them. I suppose if I was really close to them, it would hurt more. But they seem like strangers. :p My sister is hilarious. At least she gets something from them. She doesn't like them either, but milks it. ;D

MikeyC

Luckily, I am not too close to them. I suppose if I was really close to them, it would hurt more. But they seem like strangers. :p My sister is hilarious. At least she gets something from them. She doesn't like them either, but milks it. ;D
Haha, go your sister. :)

Vampayah88

I did grow up in a middle/high class family, but as an individual, I've been way below poverty level my entire life.

I definitely am curious to what things would be like if I was rich. I'd be able to move out of my parents house for good and actually buy my own house. It seems it would be possible to buy friends and buy a wife with that money.

People say you can't buy love, well personally, I would be okay with just having a hot woman that I connect with that wants to hang out with me. She wouldn't have to love me.

I've also wondered if being rich would make me more confident around people or give me more courage? Idk, i've never been rich.

I always thought most rich people are very confident, because having money, well, it gives you power.

Divine

Coming from a low income family, I can say that money would bring a lot of happiness to me. It may not help me with being lonely, but it would do one for confidence and they say confidence is attractive, so I guess it really depends.

Boby

Coming from a low income family, I can say that money would bring a lot of happiness to me. It may not help me with being lonely, but it would do one for confidence and they say confidence is attractive, so I guess it really depends.

I've seen both sides of the coin,when I was younger my family was very poor and I was thinking the same as you ,I was thinking I would be much more confident and happy if I had money.Well years past my parents work really hard and we are in let's say in the upper half of the middle class now but I still don't have any kind of confidence and I'm definitely not happy.

Last edited:

Gaucho

hello,

my family has a higher income than average, and my aunt for example has spent all her life alone( i never saw her with a partner, my mother(her sister) told me,she also has never seen my aunt with a man, and she earns pretty much money(my aunt). My mother and father also earn enough to have a very a good lifestyle(they are no millionaires tho) and luckily i was able to grow up without money problems. BUT I'm still lonely/have depression/SA, and I don't have money problems. Money imo doesn't have to do NOTHING with ones confidence/psycological state, unless someone is so poor and lives on the street, but thats drastic and i don't think you meant that.

Last edited:

Steffen

I might be getting rich in the near future if any of my business plans take off.

I'm quite sure it won't substantially change my life. I'll get a nice condo and get all the latest gadgets. I won't get sticker shock when I go to buy chicken for a recipe. I'll go to the US to treat my many health problems.

The only change I can imagine happening for shyness is those improvements that need to happen to get a business off the ground - which I'll have to do for myself, money won't buy it. It's scary and it's not going to be easy.

I can't see it making it easier to get dates or friends.

I grew up poor and our family is still not exactly wealthy. We aren't dirt poor as we still have things like a flat screen T.V, a PS3, a computer, cellphones, etc. I would have to say money doesn't have anything to do with my happiness. I had a job this summer and I finally have my own money but I'm still depressed. What will I spend my money on? I bought a hat and a few clothes but other than that I just spend it on food. I only have one friend and all he wants to do is drink beer, smoke weed, and sleep with prostitutes.

findingbeauty

I think financial security would end a lot of my social problems. It would decrease my general anxiety (worry about getting by and my future, esp retirement), it would allow me to participate in activities and events with others and travel, it would allow me to feel more like an equal (in this arena), I could focus more on my personal growth than my survival, I could focus on what I want to do not what I have to do to get by, and finally, I wouldn't "need" people as much because I would know that whatever happens I will be secure on my own and can take care of myself. For example, I hated when I "needed" roommates to get by with rent. It was fine to have roommates when I wanted to, but not when I needed to, the dynamic was different, stressful and I often had to take roommates that weren't ideal.

If this is wishful thinking, please tell me why.

findingbeauty

I had a dream once...ok, I'm going to tell the whole goofy thing for kicks! My bf calls it the "bathroom lottery". I was sleeping and must have had to pee badly. In my dream, I talked to a friend about some financially related stress I was having and she said, "Oh, go to so and so place and there is a lottery there. You just add coins. I won enough to repair my car!" I went to the lottery and it was in a bathroom, I was sitting on the toilet and overflowed it with pee! I know TMI, but goes to show how goofy dreams are. lol Anyhow I played the lottery and won 1 million dollars. Played again and won another 1.5 million. It was instantly direct deposited to my account! The rest of my dream was a major sense of relief, the stress of impending crisis was gone. Then I confided in only one person and did not even tell them the amount. The majority of the dream was me planning simple necessities I would purchase and how to set myself up to have more security the rest of my life - I considered purchasing a small condo (though I'm not sure about that in waking life due to HOAs, etc) and figure out how to invest the rest and earn more with my winnings. Not to amass a bunch of stuff, but to create security.

For three full days after the dream I felt like a new person. The weight and heaviness was gone because the experience felt so real. I had a temporarily different attitude about myself and the world. My motivations shifted from desperate and surviving to alive and creative. I felt like I could take charge of my life.

I think in real life I would truly respond this way. Planning and budgeting and living simply, because that's how I am. Except in reality, I don't play lotteries. ;)

MikeyC

I think financial security would end a lot of my social problems. It would decrease my general anxiety (worry about getting by and my future, esp retirement), it would allow me to participate in activities and events with others and travel, it would allow me to feel more like an equal (in this arena), I could focus more on my personal growth than my survival, I could focus on what I want to do not what I have to do to get by, and finally, I wouldn't "need" people as much because I would know that whatever happens I will be secure on my own and can take care of myself. For example, I hated when I "needed" roommates to get by with rent. It was fine to have roommates when I wanted to, but not when I needed to, the dynamic was different, stressful and I often had to take roommates that weren't ideal.

I understand where you're coming from. Money isn't everything, but having a lot of it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Flanscho

Nope, I'm not rich. Having no debts either. Lonely: yes. Though it's silly. I got some friends.

And yes, I think money would end some of my problems. It would buy me the time to put my creativity and thoughts into more substantial forms, and allow me to visit friends living thousands of miles away. Also, I could just drive to the ocean, when I feel like getting out of the city every now and then. Oh well, maybe I should look for a better job.

Amitush123

Yeah I'm exceedingly rich and I'm the 13th Duke of Kidderminster

Looking for some company? ::p:
I, myself, am not rich but doing fine, I am not a big spender since I am a male..lonely? sometimes..I do not like big crowds, but I do miss the intimacy while being in a relationship

cosmosis

It's funny because I see it the other way around. I have plenty of financial security and all I wish is for a more basic struggle again. Because I don't stress about money anymore, I stress about ridiculus little things all the time. I thought that when I finally had money and security I would feel free, but I feel like a prisoner more than ever. The difference is that in the past I had a struggle to survive and through it all I still managed to counter that with things I enjoy. I mean I would get through the hard day and let myself enjoy life at some point. Now that I don't struggle as much in the basic sense, I don't allow myself to enjoy anything. I just stress all day long about absolutely stupid things with no counter to it. I'm less free then ever.

cosmosis

I actually wish I was poor. I liked my life better when I had something big to overcome. You probably think I'm stupid and if I should just give my money away. I wish it was that simple. Once you adapt to a certain way of life, its so so hard to go back. There's a reason why so many rich and famous people are miserable and can never go back. I think money is one of those things that its rewarding to strive for, but too much of it and its worse than having nothing in my opinion.

Gaucho

im not rich, but my mother has a higher than average income income. so i absolutely have no problems money-related. and i can tell you, I'm a absolute failure in every aspect you can imagine.

TheTemp

It helps, retail therapy, vacations and all those perks. Makes you happier but doesn't help you connect with people, especially ones as fortunate. I have yet to find someone in my circles with SA, except a few who got ****ed up by drugs, like myself. So yes, still lonely but very comfortable and happy in a non-social sense.