Anyone know of any food or drink that can calm you a little?

sevenroses

Anyone know of any food or drink that can calm you a little? We already know certain supplements and medications do but how about certain foods?

Meisiemel

Carrots for sure. Especially juiced or pureed. The only problem is, they are high GI so you could end up with low blood sugar if you have too much at once.
Anything with a lot of calcium.
Just yesterday I read on a blog about a fruitarian diet where someone tried to live permanently on just fruit but he found it gave him anxiety - so he added lettuce to the diet and he says the lettuce calms him.
I read on a different fruitarian blog that salty food causes panic and all kinds of dark emotions.

BlackKids

I know bananas are like a natural beta-blocker. I've been known to eat a bunch when feeling really stressed lol

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
margarita_1_.jpg

sevenroses

So far I drink Celestials Tension Tamer too. I also like banana`s with milk. That`s pretty neat how banana`s can be natural beta blockers I never knew that. I love bananas with cold milk and a bit of sugar. I should like eat a couple of bowls before a stressful situation hehe. I also never knew that too much fruit can cause anxiety. Thanks for the tips and hope to receive more!!

EscapeArtist

kind of unrelated, kind of related.
I just found out i'm a celiac and lactose, which means a lot of my extra anxiety and depression has resulted from wheat gluten and milk. (Two things man was never meant to eat in the first place really). Gluten sensitivity and lactose are veeeery common, I actually believe it may have this effect in everybody but to a lesser degree... but that's more opinion.

Anyways i'd advise cutting out gluten and milk from your diet. I remember I went once 3 months without gluten and those were the months I dropped a whole bunch of weight, got outside of my bubble, practically lived outside and actually went on a date which is a holy-****-moment for me!

What I'm trying to say is, more important than what you eat is what you don't eat.

(I have heard of lettuce, and I agree with the fruit detox thing, as well as raw detoxes or lifestyles, any pure detox really seem to calm me down a whole lot, though I haven't done long term, but I believe I will get there soon..)

Last edited:

dottie

kind of unrelated, kind of related.
I just found out i'm a celiac and lactose, which means a lot of my extra anxiety and depression has resulted from wheat gluten and milk. (Two things man was never meant to eat in the first place really). Gluten sensitivity and lactose are veeeery common, I actually believe it may have this effect in everybody but to a lesser degree... but that's more opinion.

Anyways i'd advise cutting out gluten and milk from your diet. I remember I went once 3 months without gluten and those were the months I dropped a whole bunch of weight, got outside of my bubble, practically lived outside and actually went on a date which is a holy-****-moment for me!

What I'm trying to say is, more important than what you eat is what you don't eat.

(I have heard of lettuce, and I agree with the fruit detox thing, as well as raw detoxes or lifestyles, any pure detox really seem to calm me down a whole lot, though I haven't done long term, but I believe I will get there soon..)

that is interesting. sounds like you have major self control. so are you vegan?

sevenroses

I actually had lettuce with soup for lunch and I wasn't really panicky at work. I don't know if it was just my random mood or if it was the lettuce but I guess I'll try more of these foods just to see :)

Redaway

Hey sevenroses,

I read that a high grade green tea ( loose leaf) can have a calming effect because of the high tannin content.

I used to drink loose leaf Sencha green tea and I always felt calm.

Hope that helps!:)

gazelle

Spearmint tea ,lettuce (only if it's fresh or else has no effect) and inhaling lavender oil scent works for me.
Quite interesting I've read that the calming effects of lavender oil are so strong that it also gets used to calm hyperactive dogs.

Last edited:

Hastings & Main

Almonds: vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin E, magnesium, and zinc.

Fish, particularly tuna & salmon: packed with B6 & B12

Whole-grain rice or pasta (NOT white!): lots of carbs which boost your seratonin levels

Broccoli: Practically made of B vit's, w/the added bonus of folic acid which naturally takes down stress and anxiety. Tastes and smells bad if over-cooked. Steamed right it's very good.

Cantaloupe, cottage cheese: lots of vitamin C in the 'loupe - stress, anxiety deplete the body of Vit C, and the cottage cheese has B2 & 12.

Milk, the great calmer. Take warm, as heating it up changes the chemistry & boosts the calming affect.

Peanut butter & banana on whole wheat toast. All three do the calming thing (bananas with the magnesium), packed together is better.

Sushi - you have the fish, and the seaweed with it's magnesium and pantothenic acid.

Blueberries - antioxidants and Vit C.

Fruits & veg with orange/yellow pigment: papaya (sprinkle lemon juice on it), carrots, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes etc.

Walnuts, soybeans, pumpkin seeds.

Toss out your coffee, tea, and caffeinated drinks. And no fatty foods or snacks. Yes, it can be done.

Alcohol will calm you down by making you happy and/or unconscious, but it dehydrates your body and actually increases stress levels in your system, generally not felt until later.

Happy eating!

JamesSmith

What I do is try to get in as much as the food pyramid as possible, and make sure i get in fruit and vegetables. Alcohol is the best drink for calming you down, but you got to be careful too. Hangovers can be ugly.