Anyone else give up on people?

Livemylife

People have done nothing but add misery to my life. There are a couple of musicians, comedians, etc who have given me entertainment, but individuals I meet simply depress me. I already get little joy from basic social interactions, and the things people say/do/think shock and repulse me. I am a 21 year old college student.
People I WANTED to meet: those who can think critically, use logic, capable of rationalizing things; those who understand what the social norm of their society is and ask "what if" society were different; those who enjoy discussing works of fiction, especially fantasy genre; people whose top priorities reflect mine; those not obsessed with looks, fashion, sex and talking about sex; those who like to play games (sports, trivia, all); people who want to get to know what I value and appreciate the way I lead my life.
Who I did meet: girls who want to gab about relationships and cute boys constantly; gossip fiends; people obsessed with Facebook, picture taking, looking good; people who make bold assumptions about me based on my genetic appearance; fake people (I've learned to be one now though); those who hate everyone different from them(these people are everywhere!); those who like anything that society promotes; those who can't think for themselves (too many in college); those who are incapable of being independent (just can't relate, I've been independent since childhood); people who project their faults onto me; people who attack me to boost their self esteem.
I'm tired of people. I know now it's just college and not everyone will be Socrates. But geez am I unsatisfied.

Odo

Banned
If you really want to meet the kind of people you would like, you need to take a more active role in finding them. If you just passively accept whatever and whoever comes along, then you're not always going to be happy with what you get.

I speak from experience here.

Silatuyok

I find that the older I get, the more I fit in with my peers. I never could relate to the things that young people do and talk about. Hopefully, as you age and settle into a life beyond college, you will find more like-minded people. Or at least people who are less annoying.

Livemylife

I find that the older I get, the more I fit in with my peers. I never could relate to the things that young people do and talk about. Hopefully, as you age and settle into a life beyond college, you will find more like-minded people. Or at least people who are less annoying.

I'm not falling for that again. It was the whole "it gets better after high school" claim that heightened my expectations in the first place.

Kiwong

No I haven't. There are some great people out there, some who have been kind beyond any expectation.

However, being around people saps my energy, and is such a fearful experience for me. I have discovered I am happiest when I am in my own company, and I could happily with draw away from people and live a more solitary existence.

MikeyC

I'm not falling for that again. It was the whole "it gets better after high school" claim that heightened my expectations in the first place.
It does get better after high school. Those places are toxic even if you're a little bit different, and I'll never recover from those times, but I assure you that once you get older, people's priorities change, and what they want to chat about are more mature.

There are idiots out there, don't get me wrong, but there's good people that will think exactly the same as you do and wish that someone wanted to talk about something more intelligent than Facebook and Instagram.

High school rarely offers that.

Livemylife

It does get better after high school. Those places are toxic even if you're a little bit different, and I'll never recover from those times, but I assure you that once you get older, people's priorities change, and what they want to chat about are more mature.

There are idiots out there, don't get me wrong, but there's good people that will think exactly the same as you do and wish that someone wanted to talk about something more intelligent than Facebook and Instagram.

High school rarely offers that.

Ok...almost anything is better than high school. I guess it's my fault for thinking "better" meant "good." I am so unsatisfied.

jaim38

I also want to meet people who can think outside the box, people who don't like or hate others based on gossip or pure emotions. I used to have friends like this, but they all moved away. I've learnt the hard way that society runs on emotions and biased feelings, a lot. It doesn't matter how logical/rational/intelligent you are. People act based on whether they like or dislike you, it's this simple!

Unfortunately, such people are in the majority. Intellectual-oriented people who can think outside the box - they're in the minority, perhaps rare. Even on college campuses, it's hard to find such people. They're not your average straight As, 4.0 GPA type who follows every rule in the book and tries their hardest to satisfy their parents, professors, other authorities.

S_Spartan

Well I have always been an outside the box, rebel type thinker and all I can say is that people generally don't like it. This society likes people who march in time to whatever they are told to do.

Kiwong

I did withdraw from people in high school, my trust of people has never really recovered.

goblin

I think the people you meet depend on the college you're going to. The only time I've heard someone talk about things like celebrities or gossip was to have a laugh at Justin Bieber being hauled off to jail, and the instructor said that was the last thing he expected to hear anyone talking about in his class.

Almost everyone is a boy, so there's not much talk of who's dating who.

Livemylife

Well I have always been an outside the box, rebel type thinker and all I can say is that people generally don't like it. This society likes people who march in time to whatever they are told to do.

True. However I am no rebel. I'm simply being me. Everyone has to adjust for society but only the minority has to change everything that is fundamentally them.

Livemylife

I wish I never met these people. But how would I have known what they'd be like? I was trying to be optimistic and join clubs and "meet new people." I wish I never met them.

jaim38

^I have similar regrets too. I wish I had not done the things I did in the past, but then I wouldn't be the me today if I hadn't. Regardless, we can't change the past anymore which makes it irrelevant (or 'sunk cost' as they call it in economics).

Odo

Banned
LiveMyLife you seem to have all of your energies focused on finding reasons to give up completely on everything.

Maybe the reason these people seem so awful is because you take every little thing that annoys you about them and then make that what they're about instead of looking at the bigger picture and trying to find positives to balance out the negatives.

If you really like to 'think outside the box' (oh the irony of using a tired cliche to describe one's own originality and creativity), then why don't you try to be more open-minded about others? It's possible that if you got some of them away from the group or talked to them in a different context they would be completely different people.

Livemylife

^I have similar regrets too. I wish I had not done the things I did in the past, but then I wouldn't be the me today if I hadn't. Regardless, we can't change the past anymore which makes it irrelevant (or 'sunk cost' as they call it in economics).

Yeah I know what you're saying. I was kicking myself at one point for taking so long to understand my situation. But then I realized I was only able to finally have epiphanies because I had accumulated enough "data" to gain an understanding. I learned from all those negative experiences, however, I have only become more wary and anxious. But why wouldn't I be? :idontknow: I've tried to give people a chance and I don't really get what I'm supposed to like about most of them? I realize how clueless I was about socializing. I am very similar in that regard to people with autism or Apserger's (keep in mind they are only 1% of the population) but I do not have either. Things I tried to brush off as "high school nonsense" were in actuality "human nature." Well, most humans' nature.

Livemylife

yea I pretty much live like a hermit because of it.

same here, but for different reasons.

Your avatar cracked me up. I'm going to start going into public less, I can't stand the idea of people secretly staring at me. I don't stare at people at all, not blatantly or furtively. Unfortunately I have to go in public for school, and it's taking a toll on me. Especially all the creeps in lab! Argh.