Anxious UK guy working at USA kids camp= disaster? Please help!

Hero

Hi there. I'm really apprehensive and confused at the moment. I've got a big dilemma and I don't know what to do.

I'm 24 and have no idea what I want to do with my life. I still live with my Mum and I have a pretty dead-end job, I live in a town with no hope and I have not many friends. My conversations die very quickly as people fail to get engaged in anything I talk about, and about 80% of people scare me.
I'm sick of this, and have decided this summer I'm going to go to America to work in a kids summer camp. I've always wanted to do this for about 8 years- I think getting out from home and doing something different will change my life for the better.

I'm really worried though. I have never worked with kids, I'm scared of leading people and telling people what to do. I will be living with strangers and be involved in things I find scary like small-talk and getting to know people. I'm worried this will be a complete disaster and I will spend loads of money doing this and want to go home. I very rarely make friends and I don't want the camp organisers to be angry and let-down by my shy personality when they find out I'm useless and can't talk to people!

I really want to do this but I'm so worried it will go wrong! ::(:

ありがとう

Hey! Similar situation (stuck at in small hometown - no friends around the area) Anyway if this is what you always wanted to do - I think you should go for it! I've always wanted to give it a go, but I couldn't for other reasons. I know it's easier said than done, but if you don't do it, then you'll always be wondering 'what if' and your situation will not change. Sometimes putting yourself in that kind of environment will help your anxiety.

You will have an interview (possibly 2) beforehand. So if the interviewer like what they see, then they will send you over to USA, that certainly shows your capable of doing it if you passed the interview round. Maybe you could even tell them that you have anxiety and that you hope to overcome it by doing what your passionate about. The people owning the camp might even help you start out.

And don't worry about the kids. I have some experience working with them, at first I was shy, but kids are so random that they'll likely talk to you before you talk to them, which should help you ease in. Get to know some of the kids individually and it should become easier to lead as a group. You will get a few kids who are naughty, but majority are keen to learn.

Finally befriending strangers. You'll just have to put yourself out there. Just do your best! I'm sure you'll meet someone. It's probably everyone's fear when they first arrive. But don't hide away the first week, keep trying for a month and if nothing improves... Then go home. At least you've tried. This is just my opinion though.

Hoppy

Kids are easy. As long as you are honest and fair they will be fair back.

They will also make you very tired, but go for it. Just the kickstart of not being in the same environment will also give you a boost.

Rembrandt Broam

Hi there. I'm really apprehensive and confused at the moment. I've got a big dilemma and I don't know what to do.

I'm 24 and have no idea what I want to do with my life. I still live with my Mum and I have a pretty dead-end job, I live in a town with no hope and I have not many friends. My conversations die very quickly as people fail to get engaged in anything I talk about, and about 80% of people scare me.
I'm sick of this, and have decided this summer I'm going to go to America to work in a kids summer camp. I've always wanted to do this for about 8 years- I think getting out from home and doing something different will change my life for the better.

I'm really worried though. I have never worked with kids, I'm scared of leading people and telling people what to do. I will be living with strangers and be involved in things I find scary like small-talk and getting to know people. I'm worried this will be a complete disaster and I will spend loads of money doing this and want to go home. I very rarely make friends and I don't want the camp organisers to be angry and let-down by my shy personality when they find out I'm useless and can't talk to people!

I really want to do this but I'm so worried it will go wrong! ::(:

I think you should be proud of the fact that you're stepping outside your comfort zone. You're giving yourself an opportunity to do something that challenges you, and it could be a step on the path to overcoming your SA. I think you'd regret it if you didn't go through with it.

twiggle

I think you should be proud of the fact that you're stepping outside your comfort zone. You're giving yourself an opportunity to do something that challenges you, and it could be a step on the path to overcoming your SA. I think you'd regret it if you didn't go through with it.

I second that.

You're bound to feel nervous but if you've wanted to do it for 8 years then you should do it whilst you can.
I used to want to do this too... from when they used to show 'Bugjuice' over here haha.
I bet you'll have a great time :)

LazyHermitCrab

If it goes terribly which it won't you can just go back to England and it won't matter. You can do it plus you said you always wanted to do it? Then do it :) The USA in cool, I live here and there's a lot to do.

MsBuzzkillington

If it is something that you have wanted to do for a long time, then it's not going to be a complete disaster.

It might be a bit awkward and hard at first when you first get there and are trying to figure things out. But that is really normal for everyone. No one will know exactly what to say or do. Eventually things will become a routine and you will get used to doing everything. There is a good chance you might surprise yourself and end up falling in love with being a leader :).

Small talk gets easier the more you are around the same people. Things get to be a little bit more comfortable when you are always around each other. It might take a few days or a couple weeks, but it will happen.

Kids are pretty easy. I know sometimes it can be scary working with kids, but they seem to not require too much work and they don't really care if you stumble around things a little.

I think you are going to have a great time and you are going to enjoy your experience. It's a big step outside of your comfort zone and that is AMAZING. This is an opportunity of a life time and you are going to have a good time and be glad you went. Worst case scenario if it's too much to handle, you'll go home. The biggest thing is that you went and tried and didn't let your anxiety prevent you from taking a chance and no matter what that is a HUGE step in the right direction.

sullyS25

You will be fine bro, they will be intrigued by your accent and will be interested in learning more about you naturally...I can see how the nervousness of kids might affect you but as was mentioned earlier, kids are simple to converse with.

D

deleted #89

This is a perfect opportunity for you. Its a blessing in disguise...

WeirdyMcGee

Sounds like a good opportunity.

Be prepared to get about a million Harry Potter references, though.
Could be fun for you to play along, though~
You can have fun with them as long as you don't take anything too seriously.
Laugh at your mistakes, talk to them like people and I'm sure you'll figure out your own way pretty quickly.

You can do it!
Perhaps you'll find that you're less anxious around children after this experience?

Hoppy

And another comment I have to make:

In aviation there is a saying "It is better to be on the ground and wish you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground."

In your case it would be better to be in America and wish you were home than at home wishing you were in America.

Are your passport up to date?
You did contact these people already didn't you?

joey_122

have you tried medication for me it helps a lot i can become more functionall unfortunately they dont last forever and you need to skeep switching or upping the dsoasge