Anime/manga

HeadFace

There's been a few threads about this on here before but they usually die pretty fast.
Anyone else here into anime or manga? I kind of even wish my college had an anime club, since that's one of the few things I can actually hold a conversation over.

Klonoa

Me. I grew up watching it, during a time animé was more popular than americancartoons here in Mexico due them having on-going story arcs as well many actions having actual consequences (my boxing coach still cries then Mr. Vitali dies, among other things, in Remi: Nobody's Child).

I should add: Anime used to be mainstream. Nowadays, not so much, since studios dont dub anything that hasnt been pre-dubbed by americans, to sell toys.

Klonoa

Older stuff. Witch Hunter Robin, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Yu Yu Hakusho - stuff like that. Anime tends to have more complex plots than most other animation.

Tell me about it. All the memories trying to stay in front of TV in time to keep up with Saint Seiya's and Tekkaman Blade's plots.

jaim38

I'm into manga too. I read mostly shoujo and shonen, but I've also attempted some jousei and seinen. Some of my favorites are Liar Game, Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo, and Dokuhime. I'm reading more manhwa as well. As for anime, I used to watch videos online until my brother complained that I hogged up bandwidth so I have to limit the time I watch videos.

BamanPiderman

I watch a considerable amount of anime, but I don't read much manga unfortunately.

I may order a few volumes of Muhyo and Roji to start. If anyone's read it before, any good?

HeadFace

I should add: Anime used to be mainstream. Nowadays, not so much, since studios dont dub anything that hasnt been pre-dubbed by americans, to sell toys.
Eh, we got a decent number of dubs over 2012. The Panty & Stocking dub is one of the few superb dubs to come out in recent times, if you're planning on rewatching the series I recommend giving this one a try.

Also anyone here into mecha? I just finished Gunbuster the other night and am about to start Diebuster (and I also have Getter Robo Armaggedon OVAs in queue as well)
jaim38 said:
I'm into manga too. I read mostly shoujo and shonen, but I've also attempted some jousei and seinen. Some of my favorites are Liar Game, Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo, and Dokuhime. I'm reading more manhwa as well. As for anime, I used to watch videos online until my brother complained that I hogged up bandwidth so I have to limit the time I watch videos.
I don't really pay attention to what the demographic is for most of the stuff I watch, but I think the last shoujo I watched was Tonari a few months ago. Not the greatest romance show, but it had a really strong beginning and the characters were all really likeable. Overall it was pretty fun. One of the few anime that actually had my heart in a knot over the first episode.

Also I might as well post this here; it's my top nine favorites

Edit: Also, for shounen manga I highly recommend Gash Bell. The anime adaption blows, but the manga is probably one of the greatest battle shounen I've ever read.

Last edited:

Ithior

I personally prefer subs to dubs, I like the way the japanese language sounds and I really dislike the way the dubs sound, they seem pretty forced.
Right now I watch anime mostly to pass the time, instead of watching western TV series. Apart from a western TV series that I follow I just find them extremely repetitive and predictable.

In anime I dislike the whole moe thing, "cute girls doing cute things", so I just avoid that. I don't watch shows with more than 50 episodes often, since they're full of fillers and the story never progresses (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece). Right now I'm watching Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Zetsuen no Tempest, Magi and Chihayafuru, and some others that I don't enjoy as much but still watch to pass the time (this list is only of those that are airing at the moment). I'm still watching ChäoS;HEAd because I'm watching Robotics;Notes and I recently watched Steins;Gate. I'm also going to watch the Evangelion movies when I have bigger blocks of time to waste.

After that I plan on watching Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell and maybe some other classics that I haven't watched yet.

In terms of manga I've been following Kuroko no Basket and Liar Game, I have a few more on my tablet but I haven't felt like reading them yet. I'm also going to start reading the Spice and Wolf light novels when I find a bookstore that sells them.

Asphyxiatedragoon

I love anime! Iv'e watched several anime's and I have read manga too. If I can remember a few that I've watched. Oh yeah, I've watched Soul Eater, Shugo Chara, Dragon Ball Z, Hidan no Aria, Deathnote, Inuyasha, Elfen Lied and alot more haha, but pfft Anime is great :)

and Pokemon! cx

Last edited:

HeadFace

I personally prefer subs to dubs, I like the way the japanese language sounds and I really dislike the way the dubs sound, they seem pretty forced.
Right now I watch anime mostly to pass the time, instead of watching western TV series. Apart from a western TV series that I follow I just find them extremely repetitive and predictable.

In anime I dislike the whole moe thing, "cute girls doing cute things", so I just avoid that. I don't watch shows with more than 50 episodes often, since they're full of fillers and the story never progresses (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece). Right now I'm watching Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Zetsuen no Tempest, Magi and Chihayafuru, and some others that I don't enjoy as much but still watch to pass the time (this list is only of those that are airing at the moment). I'm still watching ChäoS;HEAd because I'm watching Robotics;Notes and I recently watched Steins;Gate. I'm also going to watch the Evangelion movies when I have bigger blocks of time to waste.

After that I plan on watching Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell and maybe some other classics that I haven't watched yet.

In terms of manga I've been following Kuroko no Basket and Liar Game, I have a few more on my tablet but I haven't felt like reading them yet. I'm also going to start reading the Spice and Wolf light novels when I find a bookstore that sells them.
Eugh... Chaos;head is one of the worst anime ever created, trust me. Just stop watching now. The VN is a lot better.

Ithior

I beg to differ.

Slayers Episodio 1 2/3 latino - YouTube

Excuse me while I nostalgia.

Well I also enjoy watching portuguese dubs of shows that I watched as a kid because of the nostalgia (for example, rewatched Digimon like a year ago and I HAD to watch it with portuguese dubs), but apart from that I'll stay away from them. I was mostly considering english dubs though.

Eugh... Chaos;head is one of the worst anime ever created, trust me. Just stop watching now. The VN is a lot better.

Already watched 9 episodes by the time I read your comment, might as well finish it. I have to say I kinda forced myself to watch it because I avoid harems in general, but I wanted to watch just because it was related to Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes.

HeadFace

Well I also enjoy watching portuguese dubs of shows that I watched as a kid because of the nostalgia (for example, rewatched Digimon like a year ago and I HAD to watch it with portuguese dubs), but apart from that I'll stay away from them. I was mostly considering english dubs though.

Already watched 9 episodes by the time I read your comment, might as well finish it. I have to say I kinda forced myself to watch it because I avoid harems in general, but I wanted to watch just because it was related to Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes.

It's not the harem that's bad, ti's just thecluster**** of the writing/pacing.
I did find the MC's otaku/hermit-like antics pretty comical though.

Geo

Yeahh! Over half the time I've ever spent on the computer is watching anime. I'm absolutely addicted to Inazuma Eleven. Just behind that are the obligatory Big 3 (N,OP,B). What can I say, I love Shounen. My whole anime list is here.

I don't know if my local university has an anime club (In grade 12) but I sure hope they do.

Ithior

It's not the harem that's bad, ti's just thecluster**** of the writing/pacing.
I did find the MC's otaku/hermit-like antics pretty comical though.

Finished watching C;H some days ago, didn't like it much. Maybe because I was expecting something more realistic/scientific like S;G and R;N.

I currently read the Naruto manga and watch Naruto Shippuden and Zetsuen no Tempest anime, any suggestions for something else that might be good?

Ithior

I currently read the Naruto manga and watch Naruto Shippuden and Zetsuen no Tempest anime, any suggestions for something else that might be good?

Fullmetal Alchemist. There are two versions though, Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I watched in that order but you don't have to I guess. But if you watch both just remember that they're alternative versions so some things are different between the two stories.

If you just want to watch one of them, I myself preferred Brotherhood.