Am I destined to be alone?

SonicMan

Today got me thinking about how I seem to only truly be myself when alone. I feel happy alone and no one can see my bad habits. Also my anxiety is gone when I'm on my own. I think I'm a natural loner but I kind of like it that way. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Today got me thinking about how I seem to only truly be myself when alone. I feel happy alone and no one can see my bad habits. Also my anxiety is gone when I'm on my own. I think I'm a natural loner but I kind of like it that way. Does anyone else feel this way?

Aye, same here. I've always felt this way. Ah love being alone, ye get to do whit ye want. Plus, ye don't have that pressure of having to impress folk in social situations, particularly group setting.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Don't know if I'm truly myself when I'm alone, but ah definitely feel more relaxed and at ease on my own.

worrywort

Yea I feel the same. I feel so much more at ease when I'm alone. My only worry is that I shun social situations too much and I'm gonna regret it one day. Most social situations are so unpleasant for me and it's so easy to just avoid them altogether.

Ithior

I feel like I'm not going to find a significant other any time soon. In my life I only met two girls I got along with extremely well, with whom I could be myself, have fun and make them laugh. I loved talking to them and spending time with them.

One of those girls I met 8 or 9 years ago. I was 14 or 15 years old. We actually dated for a while, but I was too dumb to realise how lucky I was. I ended it because we couldn't spend much time together and I didn't like that. It was really stupid, I wouldn't have had to wait more than a year to be able to be with her daily, but I guess I got too distracted with all the pretty girls at my new high school.

The other girl I met this year. I love being with her. I feel like I'm at my best when I'm with her, and I want to bring out the best in her too. I don't feel in love with her, possibly because she has a boyfriend and is some 5 years older than me, so I just ended up not seeing her that way. But I just keep thinking how I'd love to have an SO that is kinda like her.

I've only met women like these two twice in my life. That's like 1 every 10 years. It just feels like the odds of finding a girl (single) I develop a great connection with like I did with these two are incredibly low. I have a hard time connecting with new people, I need to spend a lot of alone time with them. I'm afraid that I will never have another chance.

S_Spartan

“A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.”

― Arthur Schopenhauer

zharl

Sometimes, but I don't think anyone is really destined for anything, as I'm not a huge believer in fate. Sometimes I wonder if my situation will ever change and I wonder if I can ever really reach a point in which I can actively change my overall state of profound loneliness, but I don't really feel as though I am "destined" to be alone. At times I feel as though I "deserve" to be alone, or that I will "always" be alone, but never "destined," as destined implies that someone or something else has decided my loneliness and predetermined my future for me.

JJ65

Yea pretty sure i am destined to be alone, but really don't like it this way :crying:.