A lot of people stopped talking to me, after I posted my SAD issues on Facebook

^^ Chris you didn't get the point of social networks. People there who they want to be, not who they really are... :D I have FB account and I never talked to them. Everytime i log in I get messages that I lost a sheep or a pig ate my potatoes... Never understood the concept of FB... Never tried MySpace, but I don't think there's a big difference between them. I think it's much better to find buddies in specialized forums... For some it's art for other cars or...

On facebook people send me friend requests, ask how I am, so I reply and ask how they're doing, they never get back and then eventually delete me.. it's a strange site

happens to me sometimes too, its a normal thing on those stupid social sites

A lot of people I met last year in engineering stopped talking to me.

One guy saw me on campus then he put his head down and walked the other way, but I said hi anyways.

Another one stopped replying to my MSN msg, and give me looks when he see me around campus. I always said hi, how are you. He just looks at me and looks away. And A LOT of other people on MSN stopped talking to me, and on campus except one or two.

I have to agree with Harley Q, WTF? I know Janie from Korea has a youtube page and talks about her SA all the time. She gets tons of positive feedback from people who know nothing about social phobia. I don't understand why people would react to you this way. I don't think your video was particularly embarrassing. People would respond to it by thinking you are just shy. Look at the comments on your page. Is it possible at all something else is going on with these people who suddenly are avoiding you?

WTF, LAC OPERON, before I said I had SAD issues on FB, they said hi to me and I talked with them everytime, now they don't even bother saying anything to me, and just a second ago, one of them prank called me and was like "YOU WANT TO HAVE SEX TONIGHT? WE'RE GOING TO COME AND PICK YOU UP"

I was like....WTF, and I heard the rest of them in the background laughing and saying things about me, so I hanged up

Maybe you just know a bunch of assholes? Why do you try talking to someone else about it? You could talk to the people on your youtube page who commented. Many of them don't have social anxiety and were quite kind. Tell them what's going on and ask for feedback. I think you may just know a few bad apples.

While you're at it, tell those assholes who keep messing with you that its a neurological problem at root which isn't youre fault and it realy isn't funny. But they should be careful because even "normal" people can develope panic or PTSD for the REST OF THEIR LIVES. It can happen at any time. It's happened before, just ask some of our agoraphobic friends on this site how hard anxiety hit them out of the blue.

Darker Than Black

Maybe you just know a bunch of assholes? Why do you try talking to someone else about it? You could talk to the people on your youtube page who commented. Many of them don't have social anxiety and were quite kind. Tell them what's going on and ask for feedback. I think you may just know a few bad apples.

While you're at it, tell those assholes who keep messing with you that its a neurological problem at root which isn't youre fault and it realy isn't funny. But they should be careful because even "normal" people can develope panic or PTSD for the REST OF THEIR LIVES. It can happen at any time. It's happened before, just ask some of our agoraphobic friends on this site how hard anxiety hit them out of the blue.

what should I ask the ppl commented on my youtube vid? I'm kind of clueless when it comes to questions, even at school in class, I have no questions after each class, at job presentations, after each one, my mind is blank, no questions u know? Not of my SAD, I just don't know what to ask

Harleyq

what should I ask the ppl commented on my youtube vid? I'm kind of clueless when it comes to questions, even at school in class, I have no questions after each class, at job presentations, after each one, my mind is blank, no questions u know? Not of my SAD, I just don't know what to ask

You could ask "For those of you without S.A., how would you react if someone told you they had an anxiety disorder? Would you feel uncomfortable or weirded out?" and then describe what happened to you, if you want.

I agree with Phobo, I think you just got unlucky enough to run into some assholes. Not everyone is going to treat you like that.

I think it's much better to find buddies in specialized forums... For some it's art for other cars or...

Ditto. At least then, you have a better chance of people befriending you because of common interests/personality and not because "Hey, I recognize your face! Add to my popularity"

Last edited:

Darker Than Black

You could ask "For those of you without S.A., how would you react if someone told you they had an anxiety disorder? Would you feel uncomfortable or weirded out?" and then describe what happened to you, if you want.

I agree with Phobo, I think you just got unlucky enough to run into some assholes. Not everyone is going to treat you like that.

Ditto. At least then, you have a better chance of people befriending you because of common interests/personality and not because "Hey, I recognize your face! Add to my popularity"

I asked my girl roomate how does she feel about ppl with bipolar/schezo...and she said "that would be awesome..u know schezos..I want to know what they think of...etc"

I was thinking of telling my roomates, cuz we're kind of getting into that awkward silence region now, especially after my bad midterm marks, I don't really feel like talking to any one

Harleyq

I asked my girl roomate how does she feel about ppl with bipolar/schezo...and she said "that would be awesome..u know schezos..I want to know what they think of...etc"

I was thinking of telling my roomates, cuz we're kind of getting into that awkward silence region now, especially after my bad midterm marks, I don't really feel like talking to any one

I think you should only tell them if you're sure you can trust them to be rational human adults about it and not regress back to elementary age like the other people you told. Or maybe not give them too much detail - just say you have some issues with anxiety and it's nothing personal towards them but the stress makes you not want to talk sometimes.

agoraphobickatie

i don't think it's bad of you at all to have posted something about your SA on facebook.. it's who you are.. and if people can't understand/deal with it/treat you respectfully, then they have no business being in your life, ya know? it's most certainly not your problem that those people were raised in a way to look down upon others who are simply not the same as they are.. i have this thing where if someone isn't necessarily 'beneficial' (for lack of a better word) to me or my life, i just don't care about what they think, what they do or who they are, haha.. but you kind of have to let those in who are willing to accept you and just shut those out who simply aren't good enough people to be a decent friend to you... i'm sorry those jerks are really showing their ass, but just know that it's not because something is wrong with you, that's their own problem that they will have to deal with someday.. best wishes to you :)

Emma

Same thing with me, people deleted me off of their pages:confused:

Having SA must make us serial killers or something, "Better stay away from them, we could get hurt, it's always the quiet ones that kill people"

People are just big fat jerks, and we probably won't fit in with them unless we become loud mouth jerks ourselves.:mad:

At least SA stops us from acting like that:rolleyes:

lyricalliaisons

That's the way a lot of people are, unfortunately. People don't understand things that aren't familiar to them & most people have issues with mental illness in general.

Satine

I think sometimes it's hard to see just how far you've come, how much you're put up with and how well you've learned to deal with it. Then, when you tell someone of your past/hard present, they wonder how to respond.

I know someone who can be a bit angsty sometimes and, after I'd told him my history, he said he felt a bit awkward and didn't know what to say. He said he wished he'd not complained about his own life. Thankfully he's got an excellent brain in his head and is a total cynic, so can deal with what I told him, but he still said that he thinks his life has been sitting on a cloud and eating ice cream compared to what I've been through. We left it there and we've got on just fine since then, but I can imagine some feeling too awkward about it and wanting to backtrack out of the friendship.

I've kind of got used to not mentioning my history, unless it's relevant to the discussion. It does tend to leave people a bit shocked.

But then, I don't think that leaves me (and I hope not you, OP) lonely or anything, it just means you're effectively moving on, if you don't tell them about your past. It can be a healthy thing to do.

Argamemnon

Well, that's how most people are, I can't say I'm baffled. The same thing happened to me several times. Friends left me, and a lot of people are thinking that I'm some 'creep'.

limetree

I messaged a friend I used to be close with the other day on fb about how I'm getting therapy for SA...she's been online since but hasn't replied. I can see how it might be awkward for someone who has no experience with the illness but by initiating the discussion I am willing to explain and be open and honest about it. Although I don't exactly identify with this analogy it's like a teacher is not necessarily a failure if his/her students fail to pay attention.

I try not to extrapolate negative worries such as "she probably has suspicions about the disorder being too abnormal to understand" since there is no evidence for that belief, but there's always been a seething part of me that can't stand ignorance as hypocritical as that is sometimes. If she doesn't reply well, move on, we hardly ever see each other anymore anyway.

I scare people all the time. Its not intentional. Or maybe it is. I don't know.

You can't blame others for feeling scared of you. When you're nervous, shifty, appear angry, uncomfortable, like you would rather be anywhere else but in their presence, people are not going to run at you with bouquets of flowers.

hidingfromtheworld

Some people just have zero social skills and /or they are so fake that genuine freindliness and intelligence throws them off and they act like idiots. I think its because all of us are highly intelligent and need intellectual stimulation or we get depressed. Sadly, when you re smart its hard to find like minded individuals. Its weird,,i dont know why. lol

Argamemnon

You can't blame others for feeling scared of you. When you're nervous, shifty, appear angry, uncomfortable, like you would rather be anywhere else but in their presence, people are not going to run at you with bouquets of flowers.

I agree and this is how I always end up feeling when around other people. I mean ALWAYS. That's why I have given up, because I can't change the way I feel around people. And if that means that people won't like me, then there is absolutely nothing I can do.

Last edited:

LockieKermit

As people have said, dont bother with them. Their not worth it if they will do that horrible thing to you. If it's any worth if I could magicly appear at your campus I would talk to you/be your friend.

melissahp

WOAH jerks! holy, they were never worth it then, they don't understand obviously. I hate the stigma around any mental - issues, it makes it so much harder to get better and to seek help in the first place. Thats annoying.

If theres anything I've learned its some people don't deserve to know whats going on, too bad. I learned this through my own family, who flipped out. I think my friends actually took it well, even if they don't know everything.

Hang in there! your brave to have posted it, its not your fault if there continues to be this stigma around it, ur brave to come forward and get help and admit it. :)