a child called it

honeydippedxo

So thats supposed to be a true story about a boy who was abused by his mother. he had brothers too but their mom did not abuse them well atleast not physically. well i lived a simular life. does anyone know why parents would only abuse one child and not the others? not that i wanted my sisters to get beat too. but i always wanted to know what it is about me that made my parents hate me so badly. i was a sweet, well behaved, very obediant child. i cant think of a reason no matter how hard i try.

Feathers

Sorry to hear about it.. ((hugs))

Are you a male and other siblings are female?

Parents can have odd notions about raising girls differently from boys..
Or it can be that the eldest or youngest child can be raised differently (either spoilt or expected to be 'better'...)
Also, some behaviors can 'trigger' parents in odd ways, you may remind them of someone etc. Or they have bad situation at work and only 'take it out on you'.. (if you are small enough to not give them trouble..)

Maybe they did not even 'hate' you, just released their frustration on you..
Or they might believe by hitting you they showed you 'love'.. and saving you from 'being spoilt rotten'.. (especially if they thought someone else was 'spoiling' you..)

Or maybe things like possible infidelity were in the background, or you reminded them of a problematic relative or a traumatic event or something like that..
Lots of reasons can be a cause.. Maybe it's best to try to talk to your parents or other siblings about it? Especially if you managed to work on this a bit already by journalling, EFT or TAT, etc. and managed to work on forgiveness a bit or so.. It depends on what your parents are like and if you can talk to them like that.. Or talk to any other relatives like Grandma, they can give insight?

Last edited:

honeydippedxo

my situation is, my mom had my sister when she was 18 and by the time I came along (two years later) they had split up for a few months so my biological father and his family never wanted me. they never accepted me into their family. not like that matters tho because he dissappeared anyway. then my mom met my step father and thats when the physical abuse began. he use to hit my older sister and me until i was 8, then just me. i have a little sister and brother by him and he never hit his daughter but when my brother was a toddler he hit him a few times then stopped. but ne one who speaks to him gets verbally abused so its not like they have it easy either. i know it has to do with me because i would get hit for things they know i didnt do. i asked them many times before and they deny it ever happend. even though i have many witnesses and police reports to prove it! maybe its just something ill never know.

Feathers

oh gosh... sounds like a really bad situation.. and yup, possibly it was cause you were 'reminder' of your biological dad and the bad marriage/relationship..

my parents deny some of the stuff they said or did too, or say, 'It was not so bad'.. It's a different perspective if you're grown up or a tiny kid..

Some people also stop hitting kids when they get 'big enough' (in their teens).. (I was surprised when it happened too..)

the only thing you can do is accept it and learn things to prevent it from happening to you, if/when you have your own family..

Oh, and make sure to live independently away from your home when you can, and not move back even if they invite you or really seem to want you back..

I can totally understand the resentment and frustration and bad feelings about it..
Hope you will manage to work through it all and create a better life for you and people you care about..

honeydippedxo

i have made the mistake in the past of going back to them saying they want me back and help me go to school and make me think things could be different with us. but it was always a lie, just wanting me around to be their slave and just abuse me again. i fell for it three times. lesson learned! im lucky that i have my bf and his mother now though. they are very sweet people that understand my problems and dont judge! i cant believe i found them. i wish i could leave my parents behind and never look back but i cant leave the people that come along with the package. i love my parents too though very much but i see how badly i fall whenever i visit them. all my progress fades away. But yu are so right all i can do is learn from their mistakes and try to be a better person. ill try to stop looking into the past and try to make a bright future for myself. thanks feathers you made me feel better!

wow really sorry to hear about that :( *hug*
You should listen to ''Concrete angel'' by Martina Mcbride.
that song is based on a story like this.
It really touches my soul..

Im sorry that you must go through this..
Hopefully things will get better

*keep hope, dream, and dont let the faith go*

punklove

*hugs* I'm sorry that you gave to go through that :'( no one deserves that.
And Flowergirlie's right "concrete angel" Is an amazing song... watch the video.

Feathers

yup, I made the same mistake too!! :rolleyes: I'd really like to move away somehow and it doesn't really seem possible at the moment - you're lucky to live on your own with your bf! and that you have supportive people in your life, that counts for a lot!

you wrote about alcohol in another thread - alcohol can make people do bad and stupid things!! (luckily there wasn't so much alcohol in my immediate family and things were not so bad.. no police reports and such..)
On the other hand, this has made you move away and possibly become stronger.. so maybe in a weird way you could also become thankful for your past, that it made you the person you are today.. You know the mistakes not to make and things to stay away from, and you can build a much better life for you and your loved ones!!

i have made the mistake in the past of going back to them saying they want me back and help me go to school and make me think things could be different with us. but it was always a lie, just wanting me around to be their slave and just abuse me again. i fell for it three times. lesson learned! im lucky that i have my bf and his mother now though. they are very sweet people that understand my problems and dont judge! i cant believe i found them. i wish i could leave my parents behind and never look back but i cant leave the people that come along with the package. i love my parents too though very much but i see how badly i fall whenever i visit them. all my progress fades away. But yu are so right all i can do is learn from their mistakes and try to be a better person. ill try to stop looking into the past and try to make a bright future for myself. thanks feathers you made me feel better!

glad to hear of it! :) go you!!

Ja... sorry to hear that. It sounds like a really terrible situation. I'm really not sure why some or rather many parents do those kind of things to their own children... makes no sense

Sinar_Matahari

I remember reading this book years ago. Dave Pelzer's mother was out of her goddamn mind! She even stabbed Dave at one point. I remember reading how she had been a good mom at one point in his life, but then began to drink and became abusive. She had the nerve to get angry at him for writing this book, claiming that she had never abused him.

I remember that my mother was cruel with me, but treated my brother like he was the pride of the family. Maybe it's a matter of women turning their aggression on other women/girls, but I can only speak for my particular experience. She was abused by her mother, and doesn't really like or get along with other women till this day.

I just found out that this kind of abuse is refered to as "target-child selection". Experts claim different reasons for this, but there isn't enough research on the subject. Here is an interesting website I found.

http://www.child-abuse-effects.com/why-parents-target-a-specific-child-for-abuse.html

Last edited:

sanitariumcalls

I've read Pelzer's books, he is a saint for surviving all of that...

I was never truly physically abused (more like emotional abuse and minor neglect), yeah my parents spanked me a few times, but the one time my Mom hauled off and got me in the face when I was 13, I hit her back hard enough to never let her forget that I hit harder than she does. She hasn't touched me in anger since.

I cannot say why parents do the awful things they do... maybe no one is ever ready/mature enough to be responsible for another life, and they take their anger/frustration out on that poor being.

Who can say? But what matters here is the ability to keep your chin up and survive! You did it, girl, be proud of yourself! I will pray for your family in the hopes that God can remind them what real love and family is! <3

Feathers

There's another book about it too, fiction. Where two daughters had totally different memories of growing up.. I don't remember the name and the author though..

B

beachgirl67

to Honey.....
I too was a target child. I was watching the clip of David on the Larry King show, and he went into the fact that there is no good to come of trying to figure out why you were targeted, there is no answer. You were a beautiful, wonderful, delightful child, he just didn't see it. You didn't deserve anything that happened to you, it was just random. I personally think that it could be that you were strong, and he thought you could handle it better than your sister. That was his idea of being merciful, as if he were capable of it. I have 3 sisters, and I was the youngest, my mom used to tell me she never wanted me. So I know why I was targeted, but believe me it doesn't help. It doesn't make it any less painful. I'm in my 40s now, and only beginning to realize that they are never going to be nice to me. All my efforts to forgive and carve out some sort of productive relationship with any of them for my kids' sake has been wasted time. They treat my kids the same way they treated me. Oddly, they seem to feel some sort of void in the family without me there, probably because they have no one to take out their hostility on. That was the purpose I served. Try to move on, forget that you came from them, and create a better reality for you and your future family. You can break the cycle, but it won't be easy. I have been able to, and that is reward enough. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to enjoy life, but I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever be free enough of the abuse to just be me-happy and relaxed and not scared that it will begin again, or that my kids will be victimized.

beachgirl67

why was my post never posted? I submitted it in early September, it didn't have anything inflammatory in it, almost gives me a new social phobia-now the people on socialphobia.com don't want to listen to me? lol.

beachgirl67

In any case, thank you for posting, I read this a few days after my therapist finally explained what I am experiencing. A few months back, my father died. He was the only one in my family who did not take part in this pattern, and was able to truly reinvent himself after going to rehab for his alcoholism 28 years ago. As a result, he completely changed his outlook, and our relationship was in a really good place when he went. I can't say the same for any of my sisters or my mother, aka, my abusers.
I had struggled my whole life to move beyond my childhood abusive experiences, which included sexual abuse from my sister at the age of 6. She once chased me through the house with my father's braided bullwhip when I was 6 and she was 11. I was wearing a bikini swimsuit, and had whelts all over my back and the backs of my legs from running away from her. I told my mother what she did, but she told me if I ever told my father he would send ME away. She protected the crazy abusive sister-her favorite. This was not a one-time event, but more of a way of life. Constant physical abuse both from my sisters and my mother-who used a 2x4 to beat me. That sister is now a paranoid schizophrenic, an alcoholic, and has been living off my mom (a rageaholic) for years now, who depends on social security. Even so, I am the bad guy-the crazy one, the one who won't play their game. At the funeral I finally realized how crazy they all are and that I wasn't missing out on anything in not having relationships with them, and my therapist thought I was ready to know why they treat me that way. She said it was pointless to explain it to me as long as I still craved a life that included them. Now I see it as dodging a bullet. I am happy that I finally told my father what they did to me regarding the bullwhip and sexual abuse/protecting the abuser instead of the abused, and he supported me. Told me he was proud of me for surviving such horrible ongoing abuse, being able to forgive and try to have a relationship with those who treated me so badly. He basically said he would not allow anyone in his life that treated him that way, and I should no longer feel obligated to include them in my life, or my children's lives. I've long been criticized for "depriving" them of relationships with my kids. I was scared to death they would treat them the same way they treated me, my mom could be very cruel to my daughters, calling them fat and lazy, which they were not. Buying them clothes so she could take them home and tell them they looked terrible in them, just so she could yank them away and return them to upset them. I gave her a chance, but she seemed to be on the path of treating them the same as she treated me. Same with my sisters. It's like the only reason I or they exist is to give them someone to be hostile to.
What I'm wondering is, if anyone on here experienced their nieces and nephews treating them the same way their abusive siblings did. I've had to line them out, and explain to them that if they want a relationship with me, they will have to be nice to me. Interesting that that is a deal-breaker for my siblings. I don't think that's too much to ask. Why am I still being treated like I'm the crazy one? I guess I just need to walk away, but it still causes me a great deal of pain to be the one without a family when I didn't do anything wrong.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
why was my post never posted? I submitted it in early September, it didn't have anything inflammatory in it, almost gives me a new social phobia-now the people on socialphobia.com don't want to listen to me? lol.

You posted as a guest and those posts dont show on the forum, I restored the post.