A bit of disheartening news ...

Roman Legion

So since I think the majority of humanity is stupid and hope the world dies, which was my first impression of people.. If I 'warm up' to it, I will still hate people, think they are almost all stupid and secretly wish the world would still die? :p I don't care if I come off as anything.. I am what I am..

Nyxy

I wouldn't give much thought to the article. They failed to include the link to the actual study for scrutiny of their experimental setup and subject selection. Even if this was true, only your opinions of how you perceive yourself should matter as egotistical as that sounds.

schist

I wouldn't give much thought to the article. They failed to include the link to the actual study for scrutiny of their experimental setup and subject selection. Even if this was true, only your opinions of how you perceive yourself should matter as egotistical as that sounds.

Well no, because I've long suspected the statement in question to be true. Years ago, when my social anxiety was more pronounced, people would apparently bag me out behind my back as a "creep" and "weirdo". Nowadays, I'm a lot more confident/assertive/straightforward, but for some reason there's still considerable apprehension towards me with some people ...

Feh. Humans - can't live with them ...

montejocarlo

when i was in sophomore year in high school, i had a classmate whom i found really weird. she wouldn't listen to what the teacher says and often makes scribbles on a piece of paper. she wouldn't make a better response than a giggle when we ask her questions. i thought then that she was a bit off. i distanced myself from her because she started to scare me. she was that weak awkward person that nobody wants to befriend.

days passed and she started to come around. she was cheerful and friendly. i began to like her.

years after, we were best friends.

now, every time i think of her, all i see is the same person i've always wanted to be: brave, charming, spontaneous.

schist

when i was in sophomore year in high school, i had a classmate whom i found really weird. she wouldn't listen to what the teacher says and often makes scribbles on a piece of paper. she wouldn't make a better response than a giggle when we ask her questions. i thought then that she was a bit off. i distanced myself from her because she started to scare me. she was that weak awkward person that nobody wants to befriend.

days passed and she started to come around. she was cheerful and friendly. i began to like her.

years after, we were best friends.

now, every time i think of her, all i see is the same person i've always wanted to be: brave, charming, spontaneous.

That makes you about 1 in a million

bcsr

I'm going to call shenanigans on that article.

I make horrible first impressions. I'm quiet and distant, bordering on rude some times. But if I have enough time around someone, I usually win them over. Because I'm genuinely friendly.

Srijita52

I think it depends on how much time I've spent with the person. My best friend was just telling me the other day how wrong she thought of me when we first met but other people who don't know me that well still think of me as creepy and boring.

Vampayah88

I've been told the same thing. For some reason I come across as a bitch when people first met me, but after they get to know me they completely change their opinion. First impressions do matter but not necessarily in the wrong run if the person will get to know u better later on.

O'Killian

As folks pointed out, the article doesn't actually list any sources (unless you count name-dropping the one scientist). Not to mention the OP (and the article's actual headline) misrepresented what the article actually says. The first impression is important, but it is not set in stone.

In the example given, a person has 'unfavorable impressions' of his co-worker. Maybe the co-worker seems grim, dour, overly serious, whatever. Then he meets this co-worker at a party, and the guy's loosened up, having fun, is a nice guy, etc. In this new context, the observer sees that his first impression was wrong - but in other contexts he'll assume the original impression was more accurate, which actually makes a fair bit of sense.

Eventually, despite that bad first impression, if people get to know you in a variety of different contexts, they'll have favorable impressions for those. I actually find that kind of heartening.

It's easy to think that our stupid monkey brains make us all jerks, and to a degree that's true. But as the article says, this is a 'gut response' - not a guarantee.

dyingtolive

Yeah... i didnt read the article but.. it has truth in it ya know, but its not a bad thing..

The first impression that sticks when i meet someone shy / creepy is:
they are kind people, and less intimidating. So if you meet a fellow shy / creepy person, then they will also more likely feel comfortable with you

Iluv

Even though a first impression may be subconsciously stored in the back of our minds, we can override that when they get to know us.
Anyways, I know people who said "At first I thought you were .. *Insert typical stereotype here*" But you can tell that when they get to know you it doesn't matter what you were first like when you met them. Just my thoughts. :)