6yrs on benefit :(

fife_girl

god i feel sooooo sh*t today, im so fed up and i couldnt care less about anything right now.

I have been on benefit now for 6 years ::(: just think where i could have been if it wasnt for this god dam SA curse!! GRRRRR :mad:

i miss working ::(:

i hate SA ::(: i admire all you guys who work, really wish i could

Danfalc

Banned
I know the feeling,I use to be a hard worker...I had a Sunday job at 12,and when I was at college I worked for a company who set markets up across the country.

But then it all went pair shaped and I have been on benefits since.But try and remember you didn't choose to be like this..it's not your fault you have anxiety.You would obviously prefer to work if you could and maybe with time you will get back to work when you are ready.

It's important not to beat yourself up as you have good reasons for being in the situation you are in.

Feathers

Hmm, can you work part time while still receiving benefits?

That is a big question for people in my country too.. I do hope the system and the legislation change to accomodate people with such problems better too..
I think if we don't fight for it it's a question if anyone will do anything..

I had really cool ideas that could be implemented in the school and before school already, to sort of prevent this from happening, and some stuff is happening - other people are doing it too.. Maybe you can join the struggle for changing things somehow?
Like if there's a non-profit fighting on this issue, maybe you could help and volunteer?

It's really frustrating, isn't it?

I wish I had a magic wand to make things better, it will take a lot of effort from everyone to change things, I think..

((hugs))

Hmm, can you work part time while still receiving benefits?

That is a big question for people in my country too.. I do hope the system and the legislation change to accomodate people with such problems better too..
I think if we don't fight for it it's a question if anyone will do anything..

I had really cool ideas that could be implemented in the school and before school already, to sort of prevent this from happening, and some stuff is happening - other people are doing it too.. Maybe you can join the struggle for changing things somehow?
Like if there's a non-profit fighting on this issue, maybe you could help and volunteer?

It's really frustrating, isn't it?

I wish I had a magic wand to make things better, it will take a lot of effort from everyone to change things, I think..

((hugs))

I think the max you can work part time while recieive benefits is up to 16 hrs, i think that's the limit:confused:.

fife_girl

i dnt know what kind of job would suit me :(
working from home ... hard to find stuff.

i just feel like im wasting my life and the thought of another 6 years doing nothing scares me :(

Feathers

Thank you for the link! It is really helpful to see how it is in other countries..

The monies are not much, better than nothing, and at least you get some people contact.. The tax info might be good to get to know more about, and if you'd lose any other benefits.. It seems you need to have someone who helps you and oversees things.. Can you find someone like that locally?

fife_girl, could you get something like this, at least part-time? (to start with?)

I'm still yet to ask around how it is like here where I live, it may be helpful to have some reference of how it is worldwide. I wonder how it is in other countries too, like USA etc.

I know that here many companies employ a certain percent of disabled people to get tax benefits and such, they may officially be 'companies for disabled' but it's basically just for tax reasons..
It's mostly for people who are movement-limited and such, if I remember it right.. I wonder what is available for people with mental health problems.. I know there are some workshops and such locally, someone I know said she was at a workshop where they went and had a stall at a local farmer's market then, and she does something like this now too, making pretty things and selling them.. Says she likes the people contact already, even if she doesn't earn anything/much..
Maybe you can do stuff within a non-profit, partly volunteer stuff and partly paid? And then see how it goes and develops?

Last edited:
i dnt know what kind of job would suit me :(
working from home ... hard to find stuff.

i just feel like im wasting my life and the thought of another 6 years doing nothing scares me :(

I know exactly how that feels like :(, because i also don't have a job, and dont study at the moment.. but i wish i could!!
it feels like wasting my time.. because im motivated enough.. but i cant see myself workin .. because its just too hard with SA
facing people every day, socialize, etc..
But i hope we can .. someday
and home based jobs are hard to find .. yhes.. i was searching for data entry work. well .. its all not very trustworthy , its fake, but i hope i will find a real company.. but i still prefer working like everybody else does
*bhugs* your not alone with this fight

X flowergirlie

fitftw

6 years on unemployment? Holy cow. I don't think that's possible in the US. Don't sweat it. I've been jobless for over a year...

fife_girl

Thank you for the link! It is really helpful to see how it is in other countries..

The monies are not much, better than nothing, and at least you get some people contact.. The tax info might be good to get to know more about, and if you'd lose any other benefits.. It seems you need to have someone who helps you and oversees things.. Can you find someone like that locally?

fife_girl, could you get something like this, at least part-time? (to start with?)

I'm still yet to ask around how it is like here where I live, it may be helpful to have some reference of how it is worldwide. I wonder how it is in other countries too, like USA etc.

I know that here many companies employ a certain percent of disabled people to get tax benefits and such, they may officially be 'companies for disabled' but it's basically just for tax reasons..
It's mostly for people who are movement-limited and such, if I remember it right.. I wonder what is available for people with mental health problems.. I know there are some workshops and such locally, someone I know said she was at a workshop where they went and had a stall at a local farmer's market then, and she does something like this now too, making pretty things and selling them.. Says she likes the people contact already, even if she doesn't earn anything/much..
Maybe you can do stuff within a non-profit, partly volunteer stuff and partly paid? And then see how it goes and develops?

id love to work full time, its just i cant work with people :(

iv applied to an online support group, il hear back in 10 days.

its volunteer work, answering emails from people suffering from deppression, and similar problems.

Feathers

Oh, fife_girl, is it 6 years on benefits for the jobless or for people with mental health problems? This can be quite a difference, in what you can do etc. And I think there's a difference in monies too..

Anyway, if you've been working on your art and music and reiki etc it's not 'doing nothing' - you've been doing interesting and meaningful work.. It's just perhaps not-for-profit yet..?
Even in your CVs, write what you have been doing.. Have you performed with a band or did any interesting solo stuff? Have you learnt something that could be of relevance? Just write it all in..

Even if it may seem impossible to work, sometimes it can work out.. It really depends on the environment and people you work with/for..

Feathers

its volunteer work, answering emails from people suffering from deppression, and similar problems.

Ooh, this sounds interesting!! do tell how it goes! :)
Do they ever hire people for pay too?
(Or maybe with experience from this gig, you can find something later that would pay too? Interesting!)

Well, if you can't work with people directly, there are still things you can do.. Lots of stuff is done 'from home' these days...
Even music can be recorded separately and 'put together'..

Or maybe in time you could later learn to work with people too, in specific settings... (with perhaps low amount of people or if they are nicer.. not just 'huge amounts of random people'.. a bar or a non profit can be very different, and then it depends on the non profit and microlocation and specific stuff to do again..)
It depends what kind of jobs are available or created, yeah.. What would be your dream job/s? :)

Good Luck with that, you are a very friendly and caring person so im sure you will be great at it:).

Feathers

charity work?? ahhhh yes those are the kinds of job I have been doing for 6 years and got fired at most of them

Hey Brooklynn, what kind of jobs were they, if you don't mind saying? Like working in charity shops or in non-profit offices or...? With people or away from people, or a mixture of both?

I don't trust the state to provide any type of benefits for long... Now here policemen and people on borders and all state employees were on strike.. A few weeks before, it was the doctors..
Like in Greece, if states collapse, what will happen?
Sure Greece got bailed out, but they need to start 'economizing'.. And the Greeks don't like it..

People from all over EU are protesting against 'government economizing'...
I don't trust the state/s or govs to help people survive..
If governments get broke, who will give benefits, and for what? Maybe worth it to think about a bit.. That's why I started to learn gardening last year and such.. (I was very anti-gardening before..) At least if worst happens we have something to eat, beans and corn and potatoes and such... Even people in urban areas/cities have started to learn how to garden.. They call it urban gardening or guerilla gardening sometimes :D

It's funny how 200 or 400 years ago almost no one had 'jobs' and they all worked and mostly survived... (sometimes just barely, but they did survive and some were well off..)

Feathers

i think its purely volunteer run.

hmm good question lol, a proffessional drummer maybe? lol.

id like a job helping people :)

helping people is really cool :)

professional drummer - wow!
It would probably be done via online, or could you do live gigs too?
Some people give online lessons too... You could see what exists already and maybe if there's a niche for you? (You're very goodlooking and a woman, so that's already a plus..!!)

Lots of opportunities to help people, either as a job or volunteering or both..
Maybe just write down in what ways you'd like to help people best? And with what, which people etc?

fife_girl

no 6 years on SSI benefits...you can only get unemployment once in between jobs for up to 6 months. In those 6 months you must be looking for a job. Well, its called SSI here in America but dont know what its called in the UK for her.

IB, incapacity benefit im currently on