6yrs on benefit :(

@Remus,I can see what your getting at.I also get annoyed when i hear about people getting benefits "just" because they are addicted to drink.They automatically get a very high rate where other people struggle.I think benefits should be given but only if they are making serious attempts to get better,but addiction can be an illness in itself and some addicts really are in no fit state to work.

If they started enforcing something like that I could see them using it as an excuse to cut more peoples benefits.Many people experiment with drugs during their teen years and I could see them using that as an excuse and say it's what caused the mental health problems people have which i don't think would be fair.

@ScottishPacfan.I have had the rare nice one who have been very helpful.But it was the exception rather than the rule.They almost had the attitude I was lying about my problems or just did not care.I was on JSA for a while and despite my problems I was actively looking for work.Yet they didn't take my problems into account and expected me to apply for really unsuitable jobs.They claim to support people and have equality for everyone but in reality it's very lacking due to ignorance and a lack of education on the issues people have.

".Yet they didn't take my problems into account and expected me to apply for really unsuitable jobs.They claim to support people and have equality for everyone but in reality it's very lacking due to ignorance and a lack of education on the issues people have. "

I know exactly how you feel dan i really do, i could have said that word for word. 95 % of the staff in my local job centre seem to be brainwashed,uncaring, ignorant,cold robots

Danfalc

Banned
I know exactly how you feel dan i really do, i could have said that word for word. 95 % of the staff in my local job centre seem to be brainwashed,uncaring, ignorant,cold robots

I'm sorry to hear it's the same for you,the whole organization needs a massive shake up if it's every to be effective.But tbh there isn't the jobs out there,it's a joke but it's true about the job center being the worst place to look for a job.

Each job center should have like a staff member which deals specifically with disabled people,which includes mental health or otherwise.I found him much more supportive than the normal staff :) You can request to see the disabilities officer at every center I think.

Last edited:

Waybuloo

Well said.I think it's horrible what the government are doing,targeting the countries most vulnerable people.Pensioners will be getting there benefits cut too and they hardly get enough as it is.Financial experts have even said the cuts are not even enough to put a dent in the countries debt and there are not enough jobs to support people.It would make more sense to cut the amount of bonuses bank mangers are giving themselves.Or the funds politicians get for second houses.

I struggle on benefits sometimes as it is,but what's even more wrong imo,is that it seems some people get punished for coming off benefits and getting back to work.I have a few friends who went into work,but because of the amount of tax and bills they got hit with they were worse off and one even ended up loosing his flat due to not being able to pay rent.And yet the super rich get tax cuts because the government are scared too scared to come down on them so we take the strain.

That is what the Conservatives do best, they like to shrink the budget and the size of the beauracracy, but I'm sure they also get a glee from having to shirk away from the responsibility they have in social welfare. It is also the easiest to fry the small fish.

Someone I know came off benefits, got a job and his income was boosted by working tax credit. He was receiving slightly higher than minimum wage in the job so it turned out well. Maybe your friend didn't know of the benefits to claim that could help his income.

Remus

Staff member
@Remus,I can see what your getting at.I also get annoyed when i hear about people getting benefits "just" because they are addicted to drink.They automatically get a very high rate where other people struggle.I think benefits should be given but only if they are making serious attempts to get better,but addiction can be an illness in itself and some addicts really are in no fit state to work.

This is my beef, I don't think these people deserve higher rates, when there are much needier cases that get turned away, as these groups of people often band together and compare notes to 'take advantage of the system', when most genuine disbled people are isolated and have no one to give them tips.

I don't think addicts/alcoholics should be made to work, just get the basic allowance like the unemployed do. If you get yourself in that state, don't expect the hard working tax payer to bail you out with premiums to the benefits you recieve.

Danfalc

Banned
Okay sorry for taking stuff out of context though I do kind of agree with what your saying .It doesn't seem fair they get the premium rate your right where we get our rate based on a biased 20 minute interview.

I can't argue against getting the basic allowance either,even more so if addiction is the only problem they have.