:@

AsTimeBurns

Had an interview last week, everything went quite well, they said they were very impressed. Call today - technically very good, very impressed, not offering me the job because I was too quiet and not "energetic" enough, so I wouldn't fit in with them.

:mad:

mmmm

Good riddance! imagine having to get up every morning and go to some high energy place with a bunch of talkers. You can do so much better.

DespairSoul

U did your best and thats count. U heared good compliments and thats count. Nevermind next time u will be succeful, dont worrry about it and fight for place where u belong to. Here u maybe would be really to much stressed if was needed so much energy and talks.

Waybuloo

Well you are probably upset and rightly so after being rejected, anyone would. Don't take being labelled 'too quiet' to heart. They actually did you a favour as it prevented you being in a situation day after day where people ridicule you for being quiet, instead of handing it to you professionallly.

So now you know that other than that you are impressive to them, well done for that. Again try not to think about this emotionally. So what you are quiet, you know you are, that is something you need to work on if you want to, otherwise you can accept that's just the way it is and keep going to interviews until someone thinks that a quiet, hardworking person is more important than a loud mouth who disrupts everyone.

Out of curiosity, what was the job you went for?

AsTimeBurns

Well you are probably upset and rightly so after being rejected, anyone would. Don't take being labelled 'too quiet' to heart. They actually did you a favour as it prevented you being in a situation day after day where people ridicule you for being quiet, instead of handing it to you professionallly.

So now you know that other than that you are impressive to them, well done for that. Again try not to think about this emotionally. So what you are quiet, you know you are, that is something you need to work on if you want to, otherwise you can accept that's just the way it is and keep going to interviews until someone thinks that a quiet, hardworking person is more important than a loud mouth who disrupts everyone.

Out of curiosity, what was the job you went for?

Programmer

Memory

Had an interview last week, everything went quite well, they said they were very impressed. Call today - technically very good, very impressed, not offering me the job because I was too quiet and not "energetic" enough, so I wouldn't fit in with them.

:mad:

Programmer

As in a computer programmer? How is you being quiet relevant?

I guess I understand why they didn't give you the job if you wouldn't fit in with them, they're probably a very energetic and loud establishment. But sorry to hear that that's why you got turned down.

awkwardamanda

Yeah, I hate that. Almost every ad for any type of job says, looking for someone who's organized, outgoing and energetic! Well that's great. =S I'm quiet, constantly tired, and have some hoarding issues. Fuuuuuu...

coyote

It's all a game

You don't think that employers realize that the people they're interviewing are blowing smoke up their ass?

Companies have to advertise for the ideal candidate - they have a responsibility to their owners/stockholders, etc.

But the people doing the hiring are basically tasked with picking the best of the those that apply - not necessarily with picking the "perfect" candidate

But to be in the running, you have to - at very least - put forth the appearance of meeting all the requirements that have been asked for

The people doing the hiring know that everyone they interview is trying to BS them. The trick for them is to see through it and find someone who has the best potential. Most often, that person is the one with the best attitude - who appears to be excited about being there and truly wants to work and do a good job.

That's where you need to concentrate.

The rest is all just the trappings of formality.

(btw - I've been hiring people for 15 years)

awkwardamanda

It just sucks when hard working people get overlooked due to being quiet when they may very well be capable of doing a good job.

Aussie_Lad

Kind of ridiculous. If you're quiet, it means you're doing your work.

Quietness can be perceived as a lack of ability to communicate effectively in the workplace. I know that these are two different things, but given two people with similar skills, the talker will always gain an advantage due to the perception that they will be better able to keep the supervisor / manager informed as to what is going on and any problems that they might have.