25 Things You Don’t Have To Justify To Anyone

A friend

These are indeed 25 things you don't have to justify to anyone. I'm repulsed that there are still those who are so full of crap that they judge others based on these things.

I already had the belief that I shouldn't have to justify who I am or what I believe in to anyone, and it's good that someone else is out there telling people that it's okay to be themselves and not feel ashamed of things like virginity, finances, social status, relationship/marriage status, and other things like that.

Thanks for posting this, and helping others feel comfortable about things that they should not be judged by.

KiaKaha

Banned
I said laws are fairly black and white, and furthermore, I believe following the law is right. Our legal system is far from perfect, but order has to be maintained. Laws can be changed, citizens have that power. But it's not an individual's right to pick and choose what to obey. If everyone thought like that, we'd have no order at all.

I dont agree with that. I agree that order has to be maintained because anarchy would ensue - but just because a law is in place does not make it just. If a law makes no sense or does not take into account context or an individuals circumstance - that is when I have a problem with it.

Blanket thinking - rules that are laid with blinkers on and are upheld just because "they are there" I think is a poor way of thinking. I can think of dozens of times in history where disobeying has been perfectly justified.

Reminds me a certain forum actually.

bcsr

I dont agree with that. I agree that order has to be maintained because anarchy would ensue - but just because a law is in place does not make it just. If a law makes no sense or does not take into account context or an individuals circumstance - that is when I have a problem with it.

Blanket thinking - rules that are laid with blinkers on and are upheld just because "they are there" I think is a poor way of thinking. I can think of dozens of times in history where disobeying has been perfectly justified.

Reminds me a certain forum actually.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it. If it's a law, you don't have the right to choose to ignore it. If I feel murder is okay, should I have the right to choose to ignore that law? It's an extreme example, sure, but it's the same principle.

Silatuyok

Re: #23....how about whether or not I vote at all? I hate having to justify to people why I don't vote. I have every right not to!

greenolive

*bookmarked* great post, phocas. I really hate it when I feel people judging me for not having a good job or super-busy social life (though tbh it's frequently all in my head)... i have to remind myself to ignore it, it's my life after all.

twiggle

I really like this post.

If only people spent less time worrying about how they feel they should validate themselves to others.

If only people could respect what other people believe without trying to make them feel stupid.

I think that way, people would be less afraid to be their real selves. Fewer people would follow the majority. Diversity would grow. People wouldn't feel so alone.

Yes, I love this list. I get so many people who look down on me for working in a factory. So what? But I get a lot of these from this offline and online. The ones that bother me the most are: 1, 3, 4, 11, 12, 17, 20, and 21. Number 3 and 17 are ones I deal with at work all the time. I am single, so I don't feel the need to cook so I live off soup or something else simple all the time. But I get a rep that I don't know how to cook. I know deep down they're just teasing, they always do and they don't mean it but sometimes it gets to me. I think it's because I have a history of eating disorders so when people bug me about what I eat, it's kind of a trigger and I have to fight it so I don't start starving myself again.

KiaKaha

Banned
It doesn't matter if you agree with it. If it's a law, you don't have the right to choose to ignore it. If I feel murder is okay, should I have the right to choose to ignore that law? It's an extreme example, sure, but it's the same principle.

If someone steals a loaf of bread because they are hungry is that justifiable?

What I am suggesting is that laws (or any rule for that matter) should take into account other variables rather than putting blinkers on and upholding them because they just happen to 'be there' - it's like being a puppet in my opinion.

razzle dazzle rose

I enjoyed reading this list! I agree with it all!

I know I don't have to explain anything to anyone, yet, when someone does ask all friendly about several of these things on the list, I don't know how to respond. I don't want to tell them the truth, I don't want to lie, but how do I do that without coming across as strange or bitchy? Is that even possible? I have the hardest time coming up with responses.

If only people could respect what other people believe without trying to make them feel stupid.

That would be wonderful! *sigh*

MikeyC

Some people put more importance on these things than others.

I used to feel like I have to justify why I don't go out as much as other people my age, or why I now don't drink as much, or my job status. Now that I'm a little bit older I don't seem to worry as much. :)

It's a good list, though. Thanks for sharing.

ImNotMyIllness

I tend to justify a lot. Why I worked at that crummy job why I'm not working now..........I feel ashamed and thus the need to explain.

I agree with the list too. I shouldn't feel the need to justify anything.

Ads7800

I feel ashamed and needing to come up with justification for living with my mother at age 33. Nice list it has an uplifting and empowering feel to read it.