11-year-old boy commits suicide

gsmax5

YouTube - Extended interview with Kirk Smalley

Hopefully you can make it through the video without sobbing.

I can sort of relate to the kid. This bully threw rocks at me in 6th grade, and after one hit my eye and made it bleed I threw a rock back that hit his backpack. We both got detention for the same period of time.

It's like schools are always biased in favor of the bullies; school officials' strict adherence to "the rules" always ends up in someone getting screwed over. No set of rules is perfect, especially school rules. Elementary school is no place for Bureaucracy.

Last edited:

lunaticbinge

You're supposed to be having fun at this age. Supposed to be naive of the crap that life can be. What the hell is going on in this world?

Last edited:

Honda

Society and parents are responsible for such victims no government or school will save such victims.. It kills me to hear new stories about such things..

MaliceInWickedland

Your supposed to be having fun at this age. Supposed to be naive of the crap that life can be. What the hell is going on in this world?

That's what I'd like to know... I lost faith in humanity a long time ago, but this is just... I don't even know what to say at this point.

HopelessStranger

That's what I'd like to know... I lost faith in humanity a long time ago, but this is just... I don't even know what to say at this point.
Me too. I've seen how cruel people in nature can be. So many corrupted souls. Everywhere I go I see sadness because I am such an expert at sadness. When I was a kid I saw a mother abuse a child. I felt so sad for the boy. I wanted to save him. Today I still wonder how he's doing. When I was in my young teenager years my dad became a full time alcoholic and I heard my mom cried for the first time. My heart broke. When I was in high school I saw sad and lonely people tired of life already. They only live life because they have to. They all look so sad and they do so well at hiding it that most people don't even notice. Before I graduated a boy at my school committed suicide because people bullied him. I want to save them all but I'm just like them. I won't talk to anyone and the depression just keep building inside until you can't it anymore. Watching that video breaks my heart but I can't bring my self to cry anymore. I only cry when I think too much about my life. I don't blame the bully but rather humanity for they made him be. I hope there's a heaven. Why am I not dead? I have little brothers and sisters that I have to protect.

Last edited:

Feathers

Hm, I think the important thing here is to try to learn the lesson and try to stop such things from happening, yeah...

Teachers often don't get enough education to prevent bullying, exactly how to do it etc. So a thing to do would be lobby for and work towards changing teachers' education and school systems..

Individual teachers and some schools already do good work, it would be important to take those 'best practices' and make them available worldwide.. with support systems for both teachers and schools, parents and communities implementing changes...

It takes a whole village to raise a child, everyone at a school or in a community can help... Sometimes a school janitor or cook can help a kid... The important thing is to have eyes open and then possibly to talk to someone who can help..

Stranger, I think it's cool you're there for your brothers and sisters.. Maybe there's also a community program you could help participate in?

In the old times, in villages, everyone knew each other, and teacher could talk to parents and they'd 'sort the kid out'.. (Sometimes the parents these days don't believe or can be worse than kids, or don't know what to do themselves..) I think it's important to 're-knit' our cities into villages where people know and like each other and help each other lead happier lives..

I hate to see so many people's lives wasted... It's really important to work on prevention..

Even for the bullies, this can be a huge problem for them too, a person like that can have huge problems at work or in relationships, if they don't learn to handle their behavior better, anger management etc.

Last edited:

ilmatross

Me too. I've seen how cruel people in nature can be. So many corrupted souls. Everywhere I go I see sadness because I am such an expert at sadness. When I was a kid I saw a mother abuse a child. I felt so sad for the boy. I wanted to save him. Today I still wonder how he's doing. When I was in my young teenager years my dad became a full time alcoholic and I heard my mom cried for the first time. My heart broke. When I was in high school I saw sad and lonely people tired of life already. They only live life because they have to. They all look so sad and they do so well at hiding it that most people don't even notice. Before I graduated a boy at my school committed suicide because people bullied him. I want to save them all but I'm just like them. I won't talk to anyone and the depression just keep building inside until you can't it anymore. Watching that video breaks my heart but I can't bring my self to cry anymore. I only cry when I think too much about my life. I don't blame the bully but rather humanity for they made him be. I hope there's a heaven. Why am I not dead? I have little brothers and sisters that I have to protect.

I feel the exact same way. It tears me up inside to see someone sad or in pain. I want to take their place so they can be happy even for a day. Do absolutely anything I can for them. If I could live for others just to keep them happy (I have a few depressed friends I do this for already) I wouldn't mind one bit.

As for the story it's heartbreaking and angering. A child was robbed of his entire life over such a ****ing stupid reason.

There shouldn't have been a gun in house around a child let alone a depressed one. I can't speak for this situation but I doubt if he didn't have a suicide option that was so impulsive he would have killed himself another way.

Last edited:

HopelessStranger

@Feathers Yea I really like your village idea. Simple times of peace were the best times of humanity. Now everything in life is so complicated. So many unnatural death.

Hm, I think the important thing here is to try to learn the lesson and try to stop such things from happening, yeah...

Teachers often don't get enough education to prevent bullying, exactly how to do it etc. So a thing to do would be lobby for and work towards changing teachers' education and school systems..

Individual teachers and some schools already do good work, it would be important to take those 'best practices' and make them available worldwide.. with support systems for both teachers and schools, parents and communities implementing changes...

Some of my friends are teachers... And many of my acquaintances are also teachers. Most of them go in with a noble spirit and genuinely want to help... but after a short while, all the bureaucracy and admin, lack of manpower... mad policies and other nonsense make most too jaded to care beyond getting through the day...

If the teachers themselves are depressed and exhausted and some are actively considering suicide... I don't know.. there's something really wrong somewhere or maybe everywhere with life as we know it.

DekKO

No one can stop bullying. The school I go to bullying is not really that huge of a factor. We barely have any fights. No suicides. Jocks and preps talk to so-called losers and nerds. Southern hospitality.

Cynic

It's like schools are always biased in favor of the bullies
Almost everyone is biased in favour of bullies. It always has been, and always will be the way.

school officials' strict adherence to "the rules" always ends up in someone getting screwed over.
They only adhere to 'the rules' when it suits them, and are more then willing to turn a blind eye to 'the rules' if it benefits them in some way.

DarkPhoenix

Its so sad, and scary that someone so young feels that there is no place for them in this world. A friend of mine took his own life when he was only 13, he was a happy, energetic, bubbly kid with lots of friends.