10 thinks that make me awesome

Sinar_Matahari

Well, to me is not relevant what people say about themselves or how great they think they are. People who think too much about themselves scare me away because I know they wouldn´t find someone like me even worth talking to. In any case I would be careful. Btw. I evaluate people only on what they actually do or how they treat others in daily life, not what they say.
And contrary to others, I do not find this thread very positive, it seems to me more like ego-parade...

Hey! I happen to actually be proud of the things I listed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm sorry if it bothers you that we're not wallowing. I think it's important to focus on our positive traits. I'm not saying be unrealisic and make shit up to blow up your ego but it's only fair to acknowledge the good things as well as the bad things. Do you know how we treat people in our daily lives? We don't know how you treat people.

Are you actually implying that we think too much of ourselves? Do you know any of us personally to be able to make such a claim or are you just speaking out of personal insecurity? Are you to be the judge of what is "too much"? Can we please not take our insecurities out on each other and try to be happy for one another? If you can't do that then it's fine but you don't have to post comments in attempt to diminish or shame people for having what you consider to be an ego parade. It's not fair.

Just because others think that they don't have anything good to write about themselves doesn't mean that this thread is negative or an ego-parade. I find it refreshing that for once people aren't talking about how horrible and useless they are. No one was asked to evaluate people on account of what they said was good about them. No one was expecting praise. Although I believe that the things that people wrote about them are very praise-worthy. From different talents and skills to character traits.

There is such thing as genuinely liking or loving something about yourself. If it's all just a silly ego thing then we should all just stay miserable and wallow in our insecurites. How can I or anyone else here judge you as being someone who isn't worth talking to when we do not know you? You forget that we're all in the same boat here.

Last edited:
Hey! I happen to actually be proud of the things I listed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm sorry if it bothers you that we're not wallowing. I think it's important to focus on our positive traits. I'm not saying be unrealisic and make shit up to blow up your ego but it's only fair to acknowledge the good things as well as the bad things. Do you know how we treat people in our daily lives? We don't know how you treat people.

Are you actually implying that we think too much of ourselves? Do you know any of us personally to be able to make such a claim or are you just speaking out of personal insecurity? Are you to be the judge of what is "too much"? Can we please not take our insecurities out on each other and try to be happy for one another? If you can't do that then it's fine but you don't have to post comments in attempt to diminish or shame people for having what you consider to be an ego parade. It's not fair.

Just because others think that they don't have anything good to write about themselves doesn't mean that this thread is negative or an ego-parade. I find it refreshing that for once people aren't talking about how horrible and useless they are. No one was asked to evaluate people on account of what they said was good about them. No one was expecting praise. Although I believe that the things that people wrote about them are very praise-worthy. From different talents and skills to character traits.

There is such thing as genuinely liking or loving something about yourself. If it's all just a silly ego thing then we should all just stay miserable and wallow in our insecurites. How can I or anyone else here judge you as being someone who isn't worth talking to when we do not know you? You forget that we're all in the same boat here.

Great post!

Sinar_Matahari

I cannot stress enough that it brings me joy when I know that a person has found something about themselves that they can like, love or be proud of. I absoultely hate when others try to put people down, diminish or shame them for expressing self-contentment. I've had people do this to me for as long as I can remember so I decided long ago that I would be supportive of people and cheer them on. I want people to know that there are others out there who know what it's like to struggle with self-love and it is these very people who support them.

One thing that I have always told my friends is that they should feel free to express self-contentment around me knowing that I will be happy for them. It's a challenge to be happy for someone when you envy them but it's worth the effort. I don't want my friends to have to self-efface or be modest for fear that they will appear concieted or for fear that I will want to punish or belittle them. I want them to be themselves and not be ashamed of being proud of their accomplishments.

Sinar_Matahari

This thread is called 10Things that Make Me Awesome. Yep, I just realized the 10 part. ::eek:: This goes to show that I've never really been good at following instructions. ::p: This reminds me of something that I did back in kindegarden. We were painting our cutout butterflies and the teacher kept telling me to blend the colors. I really liked the yellow paint so I painted the whole damn thing yellow not caring that I was supposed to blend the colors. My butterfly was the only one which stood out painted in solid, bright yellow. I was very proud of it because I liked it. :D I wish I could still be that way.

sorrow1

these are great things that we can come back to and read when were feeling low so i will add mine.

1.) Im alive and healthy
2.) i have a great loving and supportive family who i love in return.
3.) I have a few friends who have stuck by me and accept me for who i am
4.) I am a nice person who doesnt judge others.
5.) i have an appreciation for diversity, different races and cultures.
6.) I dont talk too much
7.) everyone tells me im a good singer and guitarist
8.) lots of people have called me good looking.
9.) I live near beautiful hills and countryside if i bother to venture out of the city
10.) i have a black labrador who is my best friend.

JA2007

I cannot stress enough that it brings me joy when I know that a person has found something about themselves that they can like, love or be proud of. I absoultely hate when others try to put people down, diminish or shame them for expressing self-contentment. I've had people do this to me for as long as I can remember so I decided long ago that I would be supportive of people and cheer them on. I want people to know that there are others out there who know what it's like to struggle with self-love and it is these very people who support them.

One thing that I have always told my friends is that they should feel free to express self-contentment around me knowing that I will be happy for them. It's a challenge to be happy for someone when you envy them but it's worth the effort. I don't want my friends to have to self-efface or be modest for fear that they will appear concieted or for fear that I will want to punish or belittle them. I want them to be themselves and not be ashamed of being proud of their accomplishments.

I agree. Usually when I act like I'm not happy for people, it's because I'm secretly jealous of what they have. I am trying to catch it when it happens and change it.

evie

Well, to me is not relevant what people say about themselves or how great they think they are. People who think too much about themselves scare me away because I know they wouldn´t find someone like me even worth talking to. In any case I would be careful. Btw. I evaluate people only on what they actually do or how they treat others in daily life, not what they say.
And contrary to others, I do not find this thread very positive, it seems to me more like ego-parade...

I think you're making unreasonable assumptions about everyone who has posted on this thread. Personally, my initial response was to think that I couldn't possibly think of ten things I like about myself, I had to challenge myself to think positively and it took me a long time to come up with the ten things. It was sort of like doing a CBT exercise for me.

When I looked over my list, I had a lot of negative thoughts about it - when was the last time I actually did any of these things, what's so special about being able to do that, that's nothing compared to all the negative things etc. I have SA and depression and very low self-esteem, and at the moment I'm really not doing very well with any of these, and yet you're assuming that I and anyone else who posted here must be in love with themselves.

You said that you don't judge people on what they say, only on what they do, but you seem to be judging people here because of things they wrote about themselves, and not because they have actually been rude or inconsiderate or nasty to you. I am not the kind of person who would think that you're not worth talking to, but maybe you think I'm not worth talking to because I can think of ten good things about myself.

I'm sorry that you feel this is an ego-parade and not a positive thread. I really enjoyed it because I felt happy for everyone who was thinking positively about themselves for a change. Do you really think there are any Narcissists on Social Phobia World?

I gave Serafina rep points for her fantastic posts here.

Lea

Banned
I didn´t "judge" anybody on here, you can say about yourself what you want and if it´s really true, great. I only said I wouldn´t trust people who say too good things about themselves which is true because I just don´t have good experience. What use is it of if someone is a good footbal player or thinks he has a great personality if they don´t even care to reply to your stupid little message if you ask them something? (I´m not talking about anyone in particular!!) Or what use is to me if someone think they are very spiritual but don´t bother to go with you to the shop next morning as they promissed or do other things they promissed? I have inhibitions to list any good characteristics of me because, what if I don´t live up to those expectations next day? It´s also a great obligation, you know? I´m trying to be good every day, but why should I fanfare that around? Either you do that or not, and people notice. If they don´t or don´t appreciate it, then they´re blind and not worth your concern too much because they would let you down anyway, sooner or later.
So, if someone says great things about himself or that he has good morals and great personality, I would sooo want to believe it. You can believe me, I mean it sincerely. I never judge other people in advance until they do me personally any wrong. If any of you who posted in this thread for example wrote me tomorrow and wanted to talk to me, it would mean so much to me, I never refuse anybody just based on some stupid prejudices. And I wasn´t talking about anyone in particular who posted in this thread or saying it´s not true what they say about themselves. It may well be true, I can never know. I was talking about rather about the principle, not particular people. (I don´t even know any of you after all).

Last edited:

Cal

Lea, I feel as though I should say something. I for one joined this forum in the hope that I could overcome my problems and I believe positive thinking is a fantastic way to do that. Besides, it's not like we're going around saying how great we are, more like identifying our strong points so we can remember those the next time we feel down, at least that's what I like to think.

I´m tryting to be good every day, but why should I fanfare that around? Either you do that or not, and people notice.

I think it should be made clear that it was your choice to post in this thread, and no one's trying to force you to do anything, if you feel uncomfortable sharing those aspects of yourself for whatever reason, you don't have to. But I think those who have done it have put a lot of effort in, and for you to say it's an "ego parade" or whatever is just insulting. After all, as previously stated, no one's doing this to get praise from others, or to look like a bigshot for that matter.

That being said you're entitled to your opinion and I admire you for being able to express it.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
I was just looking into the antisocial personality disorder which I sometimes think I am halfway to but I don´t meet most of the points like stealing, lying, manipulation or superficial charm, but still in some way I think I am an ass.

Cal

Hehe, have you considered the fact that you're listing negative things about yourself in this thread? Contrary to what you mentioned earlier (about people saying good things about themselves, and then not really being like that at all... therefore coming across as liars...) Well, what happens if I get to know you and you're not an ass at all? I might just be disappointed. ::p:

But to get back on topic, I find I'm a very persuasive person, it's probably one of my favourite attributes too, don't ask why. It's a skill I need for my job (which includes selling stuff to people) so when I actually succeed in getting someone to buy an expensive product, it gives me a lot of confidence. Just knowing how far I've come, from an awkward 16 year old who couldn't hold a conversation, into what I am now, well it makes me feel good about myself.

Last edited:

mmmm

Hey Lea!!!

I don't write to asses, so I guess you can't be one. I haven't quite figured out the whole quoting thing on here but I wanted to refer to live up to your good characteristics the next day. Take your legendary football player for instance. Immagine he decides to spend his whole day reading comics or sitting on SPW and not playing football at all. Would this make him less of a football player? I'd say no because he's got it where it counts. I mentioned good health on my list and so did many other people. If we were to develop a runny nose tonight, would that make us unhealthy? Do you think people who thought we were healthy would accuse us of being dishonest on this thread? If you have a gift or a wonderful quality inside you, it's there whether you decide to use it or to waste it. I hope we'll all use ours as much as we can.

So anyway, I triple-dog-dare you to write your own 10 things that make you awesome. I promise to point blank believe the good things you say about yourself. Hell, I'll even start you off.

1) excellent written expression
2)...?

okay, your turn

Another thing - I think also somehow not having the tools for fitting into society (smile etc.)

Everyone can smile, and not everyone smiles i mean i dont walk around with a smile on my face i cant remember the last time i seen somebody walkin down the road smiling so thats not a tool you need.

anomicdeer

Everyone can smile, and not everyone smiles i mean i dont walk around with a smile on my face i cant remember the last time i seen somebody walkin down the road smiling so thats not a tool you need.

People always have a probably with me NOT smiling, but no one else smiles :\
Or maybe I just don't smile as much.