Would you be able to handle leaving everything behind?

Could you go to Mars, knowing you won't see your family again?

• Yeah, no problem... I don't really have anyone to miss anyways.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Sure. I'll do it for science!

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • No way!

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters
Definitely not. I could not stand to be without at least one person I can trust around me. My mother is the only person I trust atm.
What happens if the Doctor in your crew dies? What happens if you run out of medicines like Penicillan! You would have to get your gangrene leg sawn off!:eek:

WeirdyMcGee

Aww~ I had no idea there were so many sentimental people here!

I would do it for science, of course.
I think I could handle it better than the average person and I'd actually be doing something to benefit everyone - which is not something I could possibly say now.

Blabla..

Oh no , not my imagination .. It will not end up well .. perhaps in the hands of some brain sucking aliens

N0D

Banned
the only reason i said maybe is cause terraforming a planet sounds like a TON of work and responsibility on behalf of the species, and i don't really like work, or the species for that matter...

MrJones

I would love to help mankind doing something like that, even if I die trying. It would mean I finally made something good, useful.

I would miss my family, I love them, it wouldn't be easy. But I think that if I refuse to go to the mission would be because I'm a coward. I hope that if some day I have a chance like that, to do something important, I will not hide somewhere waiting for someone else to do it.

So I'd love to say without doubt "Sure. I'll do it for science" but I'm afraid that I'll have to stay with "Maybe..."

Anyway, if I'd go there I would die in a couple of days because my peers would kill the stupid guy who spend all day singing David Bowie :rolleyes:

WeirdyMcGee

Anyway, if I'd go there I would die in a couple of days because my peers would kill the stupid guy who spend all day singing David Bowie :rolleyes:

Does the space cold make your nipples go all pointy?
And do you use your pointy nipples as telescopic antennae
to transmit data back to Earth?
Bet you do, you freaky old bastard, you.

MrJones

Does the space cold make your nipples go all pointy?
And do you use your pointy nipples as telescopic antennae
to transmit data back to Earth?
Bet you do, you freaky old bastard, you.
:eek: :confused: <-- My face before knowing what you were talking about

XD <-- My face now

A86

I find this question amusing as when I was a young kid, I had this exact fantasy. I could use my "special power" of not going crazy in complete isolation to its maximum effeciancy. So the answer would be yes.

Predacon

No I couldn't do it, my extended family I wouldn't be bothered missing, but my immediate family brothers, sister I couldn't do that.

WeirdyMcGee

I feel this way too ^. Besides, what if a crew member loses it and tries to kill you? Or what if everyone gets eaten by space aliens and you're the last one left, and you can't get back to Earth?

Sounds like an adventure to me~

haha! I'm a bit surprised by the result of my pool!
I was sure there'd at least be a few more agoraphobics like me who'd be more comfortable in space than locked in their room.
Oh well.
Good poll, everyone- thanks! XD

No, definitely not. Other then being stuck with 4 people or so (whom you have no guarantee you'll get along with), you're also very limited in where you can go. You can't go or do anything without having major limitations.

Not to mention that many small things you enjoy on Earth, just can't be done on Mars until a proper colony is established (like a small city). I mean, you can't briefly step outside for fresh air, order a pizza, go for a bike ride, Google random things, go to the shop, take a holiday, and so on.

The prospect of being far away from toxic people is wonderful, but I definitely wouldn't want to be literally stuck in a dangerous area within a cramped structure in which we have to improvise/compromise to survive.

You're there with an important job to do. I don't think I'd be interested enough in the job itself enough to make it through.

Piece_By_Piece

I couldn't. Sure, I'd love to be away from my family and other people for a longer while, but forever, no. And also, Mars... I was about to say that's the coldest place on Earth lol. I couldn't spend the rest of my life in MARS, alone.