Would you be able to handle leaving everything behind?

Could you go to Mars, knowing you won't see your family again?

• Yeah, no problem... I don't really have anyone to miss anyways.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Sure. I'll do it for science!

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • No way!

Votes: 32 42.1%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters

WeirdyMcGee

Okay, let's pretend that we are all geniuses (for those of us who aren't irl, haha) and NASA is planning to man (woman) a mission to Mars with the intention of leaving you there once you've arrived.
Your responsibility would be to develop the planet enough to sustain human life in a mission that may very well fail.
Your crew will be quite small; maybe 4 other people.
You will never see your family or friends or any other human beings (aside from your crew members) ever again.

Would you do it?
Do you think you'd fare better being so isolated than a person who does not have SA would?

Last edited:

thomas90

I said maybe :) purely because ive never had proper parents, but i have two amazing sisters, and basically value my sister as my mum cause i never really had one. So leaving my sisters would be difficult, but i guess if i were to do it at all, it would be for science!

but its still a maybe

Didnt quite understand that last part hehe

WeirdyMcGee

Oh, right... the last part is a bit confusing...
I mean-- do you think you'd fare better being so isolated than a person who does not have SA?

I am agoraphobic, so I feel like... if I could think of the ship as my home, I wouldn't have any problems being there forever.
Granted-- I'd never 'get better', but I'd never need to either, because my career would be all about just me and my crew being out in space.
haha

thomas90

Well to follow from your question :) i would say yes, i could definitely cope well with it but as you said, it wouldnt fix my problem. But tbh im doing quite well, im appearing 'normal' on the surface alot of the time just now but, i do come home feeling frustrated and harsh on myself to them little imperfections such as today at college hehe.

How are you doing? I cant imagine what its like to have agoraphobia! I hope its better than it sounds hehe.

Blabla..

I think i would do pretty good on another planet with very few people , especially if they are all selected nice people , i think this would be a dream for me , i would stop thinking i'm being judged negatively all the time . Please select me !

I think I'd be able to handle it. I don't talk to my family much anyway.

At first I thought that without internet (there would absolutely be no internet, it takes radio waves between 4 and 20 minutes to get to or from Mars, depending on the time of year), I'd get even more incredibly bored than I am right now, but then I realized that Mars is an entirely different world with totally new things to explore. That would never get old. In fact, it would be the most awesome thing that has ever happened to anybody, ever. Stand aside, pesky family!

U

userremoved

I wouldnt want to because I would probably develop space madness and kill my crew. Plus space is scary. I think water boils at room temperature there because of the lower pressure meaning, if your skin gets exposed you're gonna have one interesting afternoon xD But yeah, I'd probably snap

WeirdyMcGee

I wouldnt want to because I would probably develop space madness and kill my crew. Plus space is scary.

Oh yeah... I didn't even take pandorum into consideration.
I've been insane before - having not slept for several consecutive days in a row; but I never snapped and killed anyone. I think I'd be okay.
lol
Space is scary though... just not as scary as people in my mind.

Rembrandt Broam

I said "maybe". :)

There are some people I would miss, which is what would make me hesitate.

I do think I would deal with the isolation a lot better than most non-SA people though. Isolation doesn't tend to bother me all that much.

upndwn

Funny, I was listening to the soundtrack to "War of the worlds" the musical when I discovered this thread. I would have no problem leaving my family to go to Mars. I barely have any contact with them anyway, and going to Mars sounds like a thing that would actually make my life worthwhile.

No way, Jose. I had a hard time just going to camp for a week as a kid. Leaving the planet? No thanks. I'm a very sentimental person. I never want to be too far away from my family.

EscapeArtist

Ohh my goodness no! Actually I would fair worse than an average person. I'm terrified of being alone! I can barely be without my computer, ipod, television, some artificial human-communication

Kiwong

I'd prefer to move to a remote part of earth. A natrual wilderness area. Mars is a little bit barren for my liking.

ridicule

I wouldn't want to be the first if I could manage it, because the first expedition always meets some untimely doom and I don't care about any sort of legacy, I just want to live.

*Amy*

No way, I'm sorry, and not as much for my parents as for my sister... and besides, I'm not a scientist:D

da_illest101

no not a chance. there is no way my wifi will reach all the way to mars :D. Sure I might not be the most sociable guy ever but I still care about my friends and family

Illusions

Interesting question... no, there's no way I could possibly do it because my loved ones do matter to me despite everything. Besides, being isolated is not gonna help me get any better.