Would it help?

Hottie

Hi,

Okay for those who have been in therapy...we sit in a chair and talk, right?

Does anyone feel that, if the counsellor/theripst was to go outside with us it would make a difference? Go out side and guide us through a situation(s)?

Or has this ever happened for anybody?

Last edited:

hoddesdon

I think exposure therapy uses this method. When I did group therapy last year we were given individually-tailored homework to do in between sessions which involved doing something in real life.

Hottie

@ hoddesdon - yes i have heard of exposure therapy...could be a route to go! When you say about the tailored homework, isnt this usually the way it is? Do you mean in a sence of going somewhere, being with someone etc?

@ Rose Red - no offence ment by this, but that sounded a little weird!!!

What i mean is, if a theripst was to go to the shop with you and guide you through the situation(s) with things like breathing visualization etc? Would that help us to become better prepared for those situations again???

hoddesdon

Tailored homework may be the way it is always done. I have only done group therapy once. The homework included things like maintaining eye-contact, asking someone behind a counter where something was, asking someone outside the course for feedback, practising focussing attention on the task at hand rather than yourself etc. Some of the homework was individually-tailored and some was the same for everyone.

There was one group experiment where the everyone, including the people running the course, went to a shopping mall and stood in a circle pointing at the ceiling. The point was to see whether that attracted any attention. One person only did try to see what we were pointing at, and the girl in the takeaway immediately opposite had a look when there were no customers, but 99.9% of passers-by took no notice.

Last edited:

Darryl

Hi Hottie,

Sounds to me as if your not sure you have got your point across to the pysch.
Next time just ask the pysch "If he/she gets what you mean", and they will relay it back to you.

EscapeArtist

I bet there are therapists that do that
Or if you're able to find a more open-minded therapist that goes with the flow, you could ask them to do that. I bet they'd be delighted to get away from the office during work hours. I know my old therapist would have said yes on the spot. She would have been impressed that I even considered taking action right there and then. I would arrange to meet them there though, as to not waste time with transit (unless walking to destination, that could be nice) and not too far from their office of course if they have other patients afterwards.

My CBT therapist used to take walks outside, and talk about things.
Talking outside helps me more, because I have fresh air and I'm not in the center of attention, because therapists are always sitting right in front of ya, at the table.

we also practiced to walk more confidently outside, and say hi to people, or even make chats with them :)
my CBT therapist helped me a lot ^_^

I used to did exposure therapy as well, like practicing to go to the mall with a counselor, I guess it helped a bit, but not much, because eventually I learned myself to just not be so anxious in the store, in the past I couldn't even go to the mall, when my parents drived to the mall, I used to sit in the car for like 2 hours to wait till they got back, and feeling extremely tensed because people looked at me in the car, But now I suddenly changed and just want to go,
This reminds me of my progress, In the past I couldn't even reach the mail box, now the mail box is nothing for me, and the mall gets easier for me, everyday.
So I think my recovery is in sight, but still things can freak me out,
Like being around people, Bday parties ( i still avoid them), or even dates with friends, or going to school.. is my next step..

Feathers

Interesting thread! Great answers everyone, food for thought!

Hottie,
I think it depends on what your situation is. Personally, I would be totally more embarassed if someone went with me to the shop and told me what kind of eye contact to make etc. lol
A walk or something like Red Rose writes would be nice tho, yup.
I prefer walking and talking with people anyway... in RL situations too..

What Hoddeson speaks about is done by some drama workshops too - they go and do weird stuff in the streets etc or ask people silly questions, to lose drama fright and feel comfortable on stage and with people..

Also, some 'dating gurus' (especially male) do something like that... ('in action' training, when they take a group of guys who want to learn how to get girls into a club or disco.. there was even a reality show about it..)

Saskia, it's good to read about your experiences too! So it apparently depends on the therapist a lot!

I think it would be good to have it gradual: from 'private' training to more situations and exposure like Hoddeson said.. I'd also expect to get any 'coaching' privately and not directly in front of a salesperson or something? lol (maybe after we left the place..)

Though partly it may also be easier to 'just do it' by yourself without anyone watching.. The salesperson is there to sell you stuff anyway, no? And on a party it may be easier if there are your friends and strangers, and if everyone's drunk/doing their own thing/dancing/being silly too and it's dark and nobody's watching you anyway? (I wouldn't probably be comfortable by some random psychologist going there too-?)

My SA situations are very specific and I can't really imagine how 'in-field' training would be possible there.. (?) Unless it'd be by a friend basically believing in the same things and 'back up' and part of it too.. (But then I don't have SA when I'm with good friends or people I know well usually)
hmm...

Saskia, it's good to read about your experiences too! So it apparently depends on the therapist a lot!

That's totally right Feathers! A therapist needs to be understanding, and acknowledged about SA :) , and for me it is very important to have a therapist who's not looking for the cause all the time, but who's looking for the solvation, the way to cope with it :)

Hottie

Before i reply back i want to try and forget about money. I am simply just thinking of recovery. There is one bit where i mention about 2/3 hour sessions, this is mainly where i am on about...
And i want to say sorry for such a long reply...my mind goes in 50 directions at once! Sometimes it is difficult for me to put on paper what im thinking, so if you dont know what i mean, just say so !!! :)

went to a shopping mall and stood in a circle pointing at the ceiling. The point was to see whether that attracted any attention. One person only did try to see what we were pointing at, and the girl in the takeaway immediately opposite had a look when there were no customers, but 99.9% of passers-by took no notice.

i know that tailed homework is kind of similar to what i am talking about. But i find it difficult to do these things on my own. I think if i had someone with me telling me "okay now take a deep breath and think of the colour blue" (just an example out of many) etc. i would be able to focus more. And what you say about people not noticing is something that i struggle with personally. I feel that everyone notices me! I think that if i had that extra support with me to say things to me that guides me through it may help...

Hi Hottie,

Sounds to me as if your not sure you have got your point across to the pysch.
Next time just ask the pysch "If he/she gets what you mean", and they will relay it back to you.

Im not quite sure what you mean here? Or maybe you are not quite sure what i mean!!!

I bet there are therapists that do that
Or if you're able to find a more open-minded therapist that goes with the flow, you could ask them to do that.

Yes, when i am finished my addiction counselling and i am off drugs for good (when i am confident of no relapses), if i am comfortable with my next theripst i may ask him/her to do that with me, to go to places.

I would arrange to meet them there though, as to not waste time with transit (unless walking to destination, that could be nice) and not too far from their office of course if they have other patients afterwards.

I fully understand things would have to be convienent. But maybe if the counsellor would plan 2hours or even 3hours with you?

I used to did exposure therapy as well, like practicing to go to the mall with a counselor, I guess it helped a bit, but not much, because eventually I learned myself to just not be so anxious in the store,

That was all so positive what i read from you, which is great! Anyway :) Do you think that if you theripst was to arrange meeting up with another theripst for a tea/coffee/chat (only some examples of what you can do, another could be to get on oublic transport with the theripst and have the theripst arrange with the other a certain stop to get on and then sit beside you and talk to yous'...) when you have become comfortable outside with the counsellor, things may help? By this i mean regarding interpersonal skills, communication whilst using techniques and having guidence? And learning how to use techniques within communication with that theripst you did not know?

Personally, I would be totally more embarassed if someone went with me to the shop and told me what kind of eye contact to make etc. lol

yes it may be embarrasing for some. Personally i dont care what other people think of me, i am who i am (this is how i feel on the inside, as i am know i am a confident person, its just the anxiety makes me not confident and i am trying to overide the anxiety atm).

I prefer walking and talking with people anyway... in RL situations too..

I find in social situations i am more at ease when i am outside. This may be bcoz there are more natural distractions and therefor anxiety can be lowered. For example, i would prfer to have a smoke outside rather then inside and with a group i feel more comfortable outside then i do inside.

I'd also expect to get any 'coaching' privately and not directly in front of a salesperson or something", maybe as you became more comfortable and confident this may change?

With me, i think once i had the theripst there with me, i would only be focusing on me and the theripst. I feel that i would be able to zone everyone out easier. But suppose i dunno, coz ive never done it!

Though partly it may also be easier to 'just do it' by yourself without anyone watching.

Yes but the thing with me is i feel there are people watching all the time, and if i can become comfortable with the theripst 'watching' me, i may to become comfortable with other people 'watching' me.

And on a party it may be easier if there are your friends and strangers, and if everyone's drunk/doing their own thing/dancing/being silly too and it's dark and nobody's watching you anyway? (I wouldn't probably be comfortable by some random psychologist going there too-?)

OH GOD NO !!! No i personally would not have the theripst around my friends or people i know in general. This would make me feel like my friend think im mad hah!!
When you say your "SA situations are very specific and I can't really imagine how 'in-field' training would be possible there", can you explain more what you mean?

it is very important to have a therapist who's not looking for the cause all the time, but who's looking for the solvation, the way to cope with it".

Oh yes, most definitely. I do not want to go over the past again and again and again...i want to look at the hear and now and the future. I believe it depend on the person too alot. Each of us is different, however simialr, always different. It depends on how the client feels about doing these types of therapy. What the client thinks may help.

I strongly believe that the client should have more of an active roll in their recovery
:)

Darryl

Before i reply back i want to try and forget about money. I am simply just thinking of recovery. There is one bit where i mention about 2/3 hour sessions, this is mainly where i am on about...
And i want to say sorry for such a long reply...my mind goes in 50 directions at once! Sometimes it is difficult for me to put on paper what im thinking, so if you dont know what i mean, just say so !!! :)

i know that tailed homework is kind of similar to what i am talking about. But i find it difficult to do these things on my own. I think if i had someone with me telling me "okay now take a deep breath and think of the colour blue" (just an example out of many) etc. i would be able to focus more. And what you say about people not noticing is something that i struggle with personally. I feel that everyone notices me! I think that if i had that extra support with me to say things to me that guides me through it may help...

Im not quite sure what you mean here? Or maybe you are not quite sure what i mean!!!

:)

Hi Hottie,

I was thinking that for you to have the psych walk with you so he/she can see for themselves how you respond to different situations.

So to me it sounded like when you told your psych about your day to day living you felt he/she wasn't fully taking in what your saying- so better to show than to explain.