Work

Beyondshy

I'm new here so hello! :)
Does anyone else find work impossible with social anxiety? Or looking for a job? Or even THINKING about looking for a job? I am unemployed. I have been for about 10 months. Before that I was a carer for my dad. I haven't been to the job centre in that time so I'm not getting job seekers allowance. The thought of speaking to those people terrifies me so I avoid it. To be completely honest I'm amazed I've managed to avoid it for that long! Anyway, enough babbling, I just wondered if anyone else had any similar problems.

worrywort

Hi there! welcome to the forum! :)

yea, I'm TERRIFIED of getting a job! I've been out of uni for about 4 years now, and in that time I've only managed part time and temp jobs here and there.....just bottom rung jobs like cleaning and trolley boy and checkouts etc......I kinda justified it under the guise that I was trying to kick start my art career....but I've realised thats not gonna happen anymore so I've gotta get my first proper full time job later this year and I just know it's gonna be awful......well,....maybe not....hopefuly not.....if I can keep my spirits up it could be really good for me....I hope

but it can be really hard...especially when everybody around you are progressing higher up their career ladders....and ESPECIALLY when you're 26 and you keep finding yourself in jobs where your workmates average age is about 18!....and then comes all the questions.....people thinking you're lazy, or a coward, or stupid......ergh....yea it's tough.....but I just always tell myself that everybody has their own paths to walk down in life....so I'm just gonna keep going at my own pace and facing little fears one at a time, and I'm sure I'll get there in the end....just maybe a little slower than everybody else.

Chrysalis

I haven't worked in a few years - and the longer you leave it, the harder it is to gain enough confidence to get back out there.

Glad I don't have any children I need to support - imagine that!

Ehsan

see here:
http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/whats-your-annual-income-17308/

i posted this survey about 2 weeks ago to find out average annual income of ones with social phobia and here is the results after few analyses true or false.

number of participants: 120
1) over 46% of users above 18 are unemployed.
2) the average annual income of SPW users is about 15,000$ which is close to poverty threshold in US.
you can check average annual income of Americans here:
Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i think the real average income for social phobia sufferers is even lower than 15,000$/year because many of SPW users are here for other disorders or just to help their relatives/friends.
this survey has also a main weak spot and that is neglecting regional matters because 15,000$/year is a good income in some regions of world.

conclusion:
it seems Social Phobia is more than a debilitating mental disorder. It's also a serious financial matter for sufferers while SP has been referred to by many as the neglected anxiety disorder.

dottie

an interview (non-commital dialogue with the interviewer which is usually 10 mins) is tolerable

working, getting things done is tolerable

the part that i can't deal with is connecting with coworkers and getting them to accept you. it is like trying to join a clique. i just need to find a job where i can sit down, do my work, and leave without the stress of being accepted by a team.

SilentType

Banned
I passed the test and I'm now on my way to becoming a KGB Special Agent. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Peace

SilentType

Banned
I'm still waiting for an e-mail from KGB Training, but apparently I have to complete training and some kind of simulation before I begin. I'll let you know the details as soon as I get that e-mail. They say it might be a few days...

Peace

Last edited:

Rodox

Well I am unemployed right now, I had 2 jobs untill now,both were a mess,to much drama and gossiping all because I am a mess,but what can I do I have to earn money,right now the thought of an interview or to have to go through all this again frightens me...

Errordotocx

I forced myself into working in retail at Target for a year and a half. I think I learned and changed quite a bit during that time. I'm considering doing some sort of retain again for the time being to keep things rolling.

I worked in retail, or a retail type of environment for a while (years). When I started I was severely depressed and had finally screwed up the courage to apply for a job. Through dealing with the public in this job, my self-esteem improved, and my depression and SA got a lot better- but after a while I hit a roadblock, I guess. I don't know if it's because I have SA or that I'm introverted, but it got to the point where my job was making me nuts, like if I had to deal with the general public one more day I was literally going to go insane. Even now, I do NOT want a job where I'm dealing with hordes of people on a daily basis. I'm going into a profession where I will be dealing with people, but it will be on a smaller, more one-to-one scale, and where as a professional the people I will deal with will hopefully respect me and the work I'm doing.
But I'm having a hard time finding a job- maybe it's just the current economic environment, but I think my interviewing skills suck, or I just don't come across as confident as I should, or it's that I'm uncomfortable talking about myself (having to answer behavioral type questions). I'm graduating in May and am really starting to worry about having a job- my student aid will run out pretty much as soon as I graduate, so I really need to be earning money soon after that.

Yeah work scares me too. I went to an interview two weeks ago for a supermarket job (it was only a shelf stacker sort of job) but it was a group interview where you had to work with other people and talk alot. It was the worst thing ever and it lasted four hours.

Man that interview put me off bigtime I don't wanna face that again

SilentType

Banned
E-mail from the KGB Training concerning the Special Agent employment process:

Great work on passing the kgb_ Special Agents Challenge and welcome to Special Agents Training! Our training will prepare you for the Special Agent role to support our 2 way text Ask Us Anything product, kgbkgb.

Before you start, be sure to check that you are eligible to become a Special Agent and that you meet all administrative requirements:

Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Must have a U.S. Social Security number or other taxpayer ID number.
Must have a U.S. bank account.
Must agree to work as an Independent Contractor.
Cannot already be employed by kgb_ or any of its subsidiaries.
Must have access to a computer with a high-speed internet connection.
Must have access to Mozilla Firefox or be willing to download it.

If you are okay on all of the above, then you are okay to move on to our three step training program:

Step 1: Skills and Knowledge Training: Three lessons including kgb_ Orientation, Search Intelligence, and Response Guidelines. You must pass a test to prove that you have learned the required information.

Step 2: Simulation Preparation and Job Preview: One lesson to prepare you to work in our text handling tool and get you ready for live Simulation and one lesson on job related tools, including how to use our Rota Scheduling tool.

Step 3: Simulation: You will answer 15 questions in the text handling tool. Do not panic! There are job aids along the way, but it is important you do well in this Simulation.

Steps 1 and 2 will take a few hours to complete. This part of training does not need to be completed in one session. You can stop training, then login later to pick up where you left off.

You will have seven days (168 hours) to complete Steps 1 and 2. Be advised that the clock starts once you are sent this email, not when you first login to the Training System. It is critical that you complete all of your lessons within seven days. Your training account will expire in seven days.

Also, we should note that after your training time in Steps 1 and 2 expires or after you complete and pass the course, you will no longer have access to the reference materials. But, do not worry, you will have access later to community forums and reference materials.

I'm planning on doing this training and simulation tomorrow and hopefully I can start working soon. I've read that Agents on average make $9-$11 per hour, and if that's the case I'm gonna be answering people's questions 8 hours a day, lol. I'll let you guys know if that's true and in the next "KGB employment update" that I'll be posting in a few days as I move along in this process.

Peace

SilentType

Banned
Just completed steps 1 & 2 from the e-mail quote I posted above. Currently waiting for them to send me an e-mail to begin the simulation.

It took me 2-3 hours to get through steps 1 & 2, and it contained a lot of information, so this job seems like the real deal. I'll update after simulation...

Anyone else decide to give this a shot yet?

Peace

dottie

Just completed steps 1 & 2 from the e-mail quote I posted above. Currently waiting for them to send me an e-mail to begin the simulation.

It took me 2-3 hours to get through steps 1 & 2, and it contained a lot of information, so this job seems like the real deal. I'll update after simulation...

Anyone else decide to give this a shot yet?

Peace

i just logged on this site to search for this post to see how it's been going for you! good timing, i conveniently found the topic on the front page. anyway, i haven't tried it yet but i want to hear how it is going for you so please keep up the updates! i want to hear all about it. :)

SilentType

Banned
They said it might be up to a week before a get the email to start simulation, but whenever it happens I'll be back to tell you all about it. :)

Peace