wish i could be sociable

recluse

Yesterday me and my dad went to a local annual vintage show with classic cars and machinery etc. I felt really anxious the whole time and i actually felt jealous of my dad because he talked to a load of people asking about their cars and stuff. I wish i could be sociable.

Argamemnon

I'm always amazed at how my father talks to complete strangers with ease, while I can't even talk to my relatives. I'm afraid nothing will ever change for me. I'm almost certain I will remain like this till death. I can't commit suicide, but I honestly wish the end would come soon. I'm so sick and tired of feeling depressed and anxious all the time.

wooaah

man yeh. if anyone has tips on this i'd like to know too. Sometimes even if i'm able to say hi, hows it going. I run out of things to say after a few minutes, and people get bored and move on.

But same deal with my dad. He's able to BS with people for hooours. Theres absolutely nothing substantial in the conversation but people seem interested anyway. wish i could do that.

noblame4

I know exactly how you feel.

I recently went to a japanease steak house with my grandmother (Nana) One of these places where you have to sit at a table with random people you dont know, and there was one other man at the table with us. Nana just started asking him questions, he kept answering her with this uninterested attited until she finally found something in common with him, (a local family that they both know) and they talked about it for a good part of the dinner like old friends and the man eventually treated us all to a round of sake. I was thinking, "How does she DO that?!?!" After we left the resturant, Nana was just like, "See? You just have to be friendly with people."

I saw it with my own eyes, but I still cant bring myself to quiz people all friendly like. :roll:

recluse

My dad is actually a pretty shy person but he still talks to a lot of random people. I want to talk to people but when i am ready to ask a question o'r something i sort of think at the last minute...''No, i better not incase it sounds stupid, o'r i seem too nosey.''

I felt really uncomfortable because i was walking around the cars and the owneres sort of look at you, expecting you to ask them questions and stuff.

wooaah

recluse said:
My dad is actually a pretty shy person but he still talks to a lot of random people. I want to talk to people but when i am ready to ask a question o'r something i sort of think at the last minute...''No, i better not incase it sounds stupid, o'r i seem too nosey.''

well i think you're getting there already. I always want to be one of the sociable people, and wish i could just be like that right away. But in the end it probably takes a ton of small steps. Getting on the verge to ask something then stopping at the last minute is actually a step in my mind. Just that the next step is to ask the question. Then maybe say "oh wow cool" at the answer and leave it at that. Then the next step ask 2 questions. and so on.

Richey

Ok so look at this way, your Dad is going to a place that i suspect is a passionate hobby of his, he knows about cars so of course its like a kid at a candy store he is more likely to want to be social with people that share a common interest ...

but imagine if he'd been dragged along shopping or something he found boring ..

you get what im saying here, dont look to deeply into it, you may not have had the same passion for cars and its fine the way you acted ..

if your looking to approach strangers in general ...try to welcome awkwardness and rejection, which of course is never easy