Why can't they leave me alone??

Emma

So I'm going overseas in three days to meet this guy...and I've had nothing but trouble from my parents, and my freaking interfering Grandfather!!!

He is constantly calling, emailing, ringing up and saying stupid things like "Emma hasn't even ordered a cup of coffee by herself before, how will she do this"

He also emailed this guy twice, which I'm really mad about, and asked him to keep him updated on what we do!!!
How freaking nosy.

My mum is constantly saying, oh you can't rely on us when you're over there.

She calls me stupid, and makes fun of me about it, she says she can picture me standing there like an idiot, lost, not asking for help and crying.

All I've wanted to do for years was see this guy, I finally get to do it, and they're ruining it, I just want them to piss off and leave me and him alone.:mad:::(:

Satine

Bah, how rude of them! Well in that case, I guess you just need to keep a cool head despite their intefering, and get on with things. When they see you can cope perfectly well without them, hopefully they'll relax.

Failing that, if you're really angry at them, dropping them a few red herrings and saying you're somewhere/doing something, you're not, might help restore the power balance. My mum used to be pretty nosey until she learned that I just didn't tell her what was actually going on. She's much better now.

That sucks. I had somewhat of a similar situation with my aunt...she doesn't live near me and I used to only see her every few weeks when she came down for the weekend to visit my grandmother, who lives near us.
Then when she found out about my panic disorder, she started ringing me every few days trying to convince me to go on medication. I mean, I was in therapy and reading loads of books and doing CBT, and they were working for me, but slowly. But I felt I was getting better that way and didn't want to throw medication into the mix since this way was working. But she rang me every few days, giving me hour long lectures that I wasn't getting better properly, and that obviously I didn't want to get better because I wasn't taking medication, and some of her friends were psychotherapists and they all thought I should be on medication...just thinking about it now I still get so annoyed about it, gah!
So now when she rings me and asks how I am, I say 'great!', and then when she asks what I'm doing, I give her a brief summary of activities, and don't say much else, and now she doesn't lecture me anymore! Just stay calm, try to ignore it, and just don't let them get to you...and have a great holiday! That's so cool that you're going! Just don't contact them much when you're over there, and tell that guy how you're feeling about them, so then the two of you can forget about it and get on with enjoying yourself!
Have a great holiday! :D

SickJoke

He is constantly calling, emailing, ringing up and saying stupid things like "Emma hasn't even ordered a cup of coffee by herself before, how will she do this"

Is the coffee thing true? :)

How old are you? Have you ever met this guy from overseas before? Your family's being protective because they care about you.

Lea

Banned
This situation is familiar to me. You should definitely go and you will find out that not only you can do without your parent´s "protection", you´ll even be aleviated to get away from them. Nothing can be more difficult and destructive than living with people who are taking away your dignity and self-esteem.

Danfalc

Banned
Your family's being protective because they care about you.

As much as i hate to say this ::p: I agree.They are just worried about you i think,sure that doesnt mean they should treat you like a kid,and i think if this is somthing youve obviously made your mind up to do they should support you instead of putting you down.

But i think it is all with the best intensions,hope it goes well btw and just try and enjoy it when your over there i guess.

TheNewZero

How old are you? I have a lot of online friends too, and I don't even tell my parents about them because I know it'll make them nervous. It's all the media attention over safe internet usage and stuff. I mean, most of it's a good thing because there are scary people out there, but if you're an adult and have been talking to this person for years they shouldn't be bugging you. I remember getting a package in the mail one time from one of my internet friends for my birthday and my mom freaked out because I gave him my address. It was just sort of funny to me because I've known him for a long time, and we talk on the phone a lot and stuff, and giving him my address didn't even cross my mind as being dangerous. Oh well, what are they going to do? Stop you? You'll have a great time while you're there, and that's all that matters.

Where are you going by the way?

mismeek

Sounds to me theyre just worried.. I mean youre going to another country to meet a stranger! I would be uncomfortable too if that was my child especially since your a girl. Crazy stuff can happen ya know? Just make sure you give them all the guys info, like his address and phone number and stuff so they can call you and make sure youre okay.

If I was going to meet a guy, I'd want him to talk to my parents and or meet them. Its respectful.

once you get over there...they'll cool down some. :)

Lea

Banned
As for the "protection", I feel obliged to say this: what kind of love can the parents have if they tell their child that he/she is an incapable idiot? That´s not real love, but selfish and pseudolove at best. No parents have the right to say this.
The child is what the parents made of him after all. What kind of protection is to deny the child to grow up and learn to live? Staying at home may preserve the child that it won´t get killed or from other risks but it will kill its soul. Nothing can be more dangerous than broken self esteem and inability to take care of oneself. Life is full or risks but we can´t avoid the risks unless we avoid life. And no life = death.

Emma

Is the coffee thing true?

How old are you? Have you ever met this guy from overseas before? Your family's being protective because they care about you.

Haha, sort of, I don't drink coffee, so why would I order it?

If I want something, I'm quite capable of doing it, but I don't see how Grandpa would know, he's had no interest in me nearly my whole life, he just thinks he can pop up now and boss me around.

Where are you going by the way?

All the way to freezing Canada:eek:

Thanks for all your replies, hopefully I'll come back without Grandpas voice in my ear, or the sound of my mother squealing and sobbing:rolleyes::)