Why can't i just be more positive?

WishingICould

Seriously, there are people that are worse off than me and they're always laughing and smiling so why can't i just snap out of it and be fricking happy?

laure15

Seriously, there are people that are worse off than me and they're always laughing and smiling so why can't i just snap out of it and be fricking happy?

Maybe it's because of the environment you're in. Being in a negative environment surrounded by toxic people can erode the happiness of even the most positive person on earth. I was in a similar situation several years ago when living in a different city. I was constantly depressed and thought it must be my personality. But after I moved away, I felt better and more uplifted. I realized a change of environment was what helped me recover.

ImNotMyIllness

Because happiness doesn't really work that way. Sure, perspective is nice but there's a lot more to it. Also, you may be suffering from clinical depression, in which case therapy and medication may be necessary.

In the meantime, I would advise to just do your best. Try new things. Maybe learn to make soap (cooler than you think) that you can then sell online. Try something that can engage your creativity..........bonus points if you can generate income out of it.

So, next time you ask yourself, "Why am I not happy??"...Ask yourself another question. "Am I doing anything to make myself happy?"

Also, get some sunlight (to boost your serotonin), exercise and eat healthy.

cowboyup

^^ What ImNotMyIllness and Laurie said.

Wise words.

...I have asked myself this question more times than I'd like to remember. To avail, I still have no answer. But what the 2 posters said above me, is sound advice :)

Wish I had more to add...:question:

WishingICould

I agree on the whole toxic people/environment thing. When i went to visit my Dad and his family i felt a lot better and calmer. I definitely think my mental state would be better if i was around more positive people. I live with my Mum at the moment who has her own issues (she's on anti-depressants). All i really do is go to work 8 hours a day and come home.

JuiceB

Maybe it's because of the environment you're in. Being in a negative environment surrounded by toxic people can erode the happiness of even the most positive person on earth.
You have no idea how accurate a statement this is. I was just thinking the exact same thing before I came in. Of course, for me I think this is only part of my problem.

WishingICould

Also my OCD has come back with avengence which makes me terribly anxious.

Edit: I decided to be brave and message my Auntie. I asked her if i could come and stay with her in the summer and she said she'd love me to. I'm looking forward to that.

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

Also my OCD has come back with avengence which makes me terribly anxious.

Edit: I decided to be brave and message my Auntie. I asked her if i could come and stay with her in the summer and she said she'd love me to. I'm looking forward to that.

That's great. I agree, being in a better environment will help!

MikeyC

Because happiness doesn't really work that way. Sure, perspective is nice but there's a lot more to it. Also, you may be suffering from clinical depression, in which case therapy and medication may be necessary.

In the meantime, I would advise to just do your best. Try new things. Maybe learn to make soap (cooler than you think) that you can then sell online. Try something that can engage your creativity..........bonus points if you can generate income out of it.

So, next time you ask yourself, "Why am I not happy??"...Ask yourself another question. "Am I doing anything to make myself happy?"

This guy gets it. You give out the best advice, man. :thumbup:

Just "being happy" doesn't work. You have to work towards it, and recognise when you're happy and when you're not. It does take effort but it's worth it.

Srijita52

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think to be more positive, you actually need some positive experience. This combined with learning to tell your mind to shut up when you realise its becoming irrational.

mikebird

Banned
You make a very important announcement with this thread.

A despise gigglers.
Today at the supermarket, all staff, 8am, were extremely miserable. That's hard for me. I act very neutral. I speak. I don't ignore. The look away. That's a very common thing.

I find myself right in-between
Cocky, tweety birdies, who have to grossly LOL, blurt out repeated giggles which never stop, are not for me.
I think that giggle would cheer up supermarket staff..?

I tried my first cigarette on Friday

Haven't seen this friend for about a year. I made the approach to invite him out. We went to my car park to have a smoke, while we had a lot to catch up with, involving his mum's death, which he said he told me about; I didn't remember, probably because he came to see me before my rehab, as I was in a strange recovery phase in an unknown ward. having trouble identifying myself or my environment, staring at the ceiling, unsure if it was the sky. I wouldn't have remembered about his mum... she died of pneumonia at home after a cranky period separating from his husband, which made it a rough time for my friend. He brought me some cider for me after, when I was in the real rehab downstairs, having quite a social time, not getting angry.

He always smoked his rollups, like all of my friends, and now has some pre-assemblied, posh types. Only Dad in my family uses papers, after our Mum was gone, watching his budget, I think. He offered me one of his ciggies in the car park, as I've been thinking of something new to reinforce my interviewing manner... Might take a month or so to decide on what I get from it. The taste and smell afterwards was exactly what my buddies wreaked of it for years. My first one. Maybe a hip flask of vodka in a street before interview might help...

Horrible that nobody knew my mate's mum deceased by herself. My brother died and I only got to see the body under a wrap in his bed - no talk. Nobody told me on time.

Saw my mum for a moment when her eyes were shut and I touched and thought she couldn't hear but staff and family said she could hear me. That was rubbish

Last edited: