Who do you talk to?

Dudley

So apart from all us fine folks here on the interweb superhighway, who do you talk to (if anyone) when you go through your symptoms/just about OCD in general? Significant other? A friend? Family member? A diary? Total strangers on the street?

Part two: Do they help you? If so, how? If not, why not?

Dudley

Used to talk about it with my ex, now I dont talk about it to anyone.

I've been there exactly. Told her about it, then I brought up (a month or two later) how I was repeating something. Her response was "Still?" Not a whole lot of talking about it after that. I don't talk to anyone now either.

BlackKids

I suppose the person who understands me the most is my mum. I mention and joke about it to the rest of my family.
Other people seem to treat it like a joke so Its wasted energy trying to get the majority to understand.

anomicdeer

I keep these things to myself. Which makes everything worst. But it may be worst if I told. I do want to start writing again so I might write my thoughts down, keeping a journal.

JCS008

I don't tell anyone about my OCD and current thoughts. I just feel ashamed to tell my family, since I don't want them worrying about me. I would never tell friends either since I don't think many would understand, and I really can't guarantee if some would keep it to themselves or not.

So basically its just me in real life that knows my condition. Some people may have an idea about it, but I don't think they know that much, since I go to great lengths to hide it. Even though the paranoia is still there. I've read a book on OCD and flipped through some other books as well. Not to mention browsing sites online and seeing different shows about it. It helps somewhat by letting you know you're not alone and that there is a way to deal with it.

This site helps since it's nice to be able to tell someone, even though its to complete strangers who you've never met before in your life. Even though everyone here has their own story and their own condition, its still nice to know someone understands and relates to the feeling of having a psychological disorder.

Within the past few months, I've accepted my problem. Understand that it won't just go away, and it is something I have to attack head-on, even though it may be uncomfortable. I'm trying slowly, but I guess the one positive thing to say is the foundation has been kind of set for me to be on the path to a normal and satisfying life. It'll just take time and I need to make sure I'm accountable for my actions and thoughts.

nev_vern

It depends. If im comfortable, i can talk, quite easily. If i am at a party or something, then minimal. Their are times at work, when i can say minimal things too. It took me a whole 6 months or so to start talking with people in work, 6 months, thats a very very long time. The person i talk the most too, is myself, in my head.

I remember a couple or years ago, we had a BBQ, and invited some neighbours over. We did a fair bit of drinking too. When some people went home to bed, and the kids with them, things changed. I was more like a standup, everything i was saying, everybody was crying with laughter, i dont know why i found it sooo easy to make people laugh so much. The week after, my nextdoor neighbour came over with his girlfriend, i finished work, i just booted up the pc, and they were shouting me from outside to get my butt outside, i eventually did go outside, but when i did, I just sat their, like mute, and nobody was laughing, because i think, they were expecting me to make them laugh. And, because of this pressure, probably made me say nothing what so ever.

tth

I don't talk to anyone. No one knows about my problems. They know that i'm quiet but thats all. They dont see it as a problem. I'm always optimistic and pretend like im so normal, but really, deep inside I feel really depressed. If I tell my family members about this, they will laugh. I remember few years back when I was in nursing school and I wanted to drop out because there were too many presentations. I told my sis about it and how I wished I would be able to talk more and she said just go and be talkative. She just doesnt understand, so there was really no point in telling her anything. BTW I did drop out and did something else. I believe I have the most extreme case of SA but ppl dont seem to notice. I tend to hide it alot and keep it to myself.

JCS008

It is embarassing sometimes. I mean how could someone who hasn't suffered from OCD understand? Most of them always think of it the way its portrayed on TV or in movies (i.e. Monk or As Good As It Gets).

My mom. At first, I couldn't explain to her what was bothering me. Then I went on a health website and printed an article on OCD for her. She really plays an active role with my psychologist and finding ways to help me. My sister and my dad are really supportive as well and are learning about how OCD works. And my psychologist is great. Other than that, most people don't know I have OCD.

No one. My mom knows, but we don't really talk about it. I try not to burden her. My selfish sister doesn't give a rat's arse about me, so I don't talk to her about it. And my father has been emotionally detached from me since birth. So, really all I have is myself. Great.

iamthenra

I talk to all three of us... Me, myself and I!
3760729636_aef410dbf9_o.gif
None of us help each other either... What's it saying my precious my love.... We helps us? What are you talking about? No...NOT...NEVER!!! You never helps us precious.... Where would you be without me? I pulled us through, I saved us... Not any more.... Leave now and never come back! What did you say? LEAVE NOW AND NEVER COME BACK! GRRRRRRRRR!!! FREE!!! FREE!!! IAMTHENRA is FREEE!!! We told him to go away and away he went precious!!!
3760729636_aef410dbf9_o.gif

Okay... enough kidding around. I talk to whoever will listen, and I try to avoid my mother, because she is the "root" cause of the way I am... At least all the therapists and shrinks have told me over the years...

InDeepshit

i use to openly talk to my parents but i'd given up when i had to explain everytime why i feel like crap. Now i log in online and distract myself rather than deal this problem

Flowers-Of-Bloom

My psychologist. I enjoy talking to him because he is very knowledgeable in his field of work (I would say significantly more so than any other shrink I have had). These sessions are compulsory according to my parents. If it were my own choice, I would not talk to anyone about it.