Where do you look?

lef09012

That is my customary reaction. I'm always feeling that way. I just can't look someone in the eye. Just like u..my heart is beating like hell..I'm sweating..and the worse thing I'm turning red, hard to make an eye contact with this person..jesus..that is why probably half of my town thinks I'm weird..
Before half an hour came home from work..I'm walking down the street and of course someone is coming from opposite direction and I think:eek:mg, will I ever be free? It must be a great feeling walking and just walking :) and not bother about some stupid things like: do I walk ok? how's my face looking at the moment? I would really like some advice about that from someone who had that kind of a problem and resolved that..

Hi, Kiara. I wish I could give you sme advice, but I'm having same problem:(
I feel your pain.

KiaraBlue

Hi, Kiara. I wish I could give you sme advice, but I'm having same problem:(
I feel your pain.

Tnx, lef.. Well you know with who you will first share if it will be any steps forward on this field.. wish u luck :) That would be a huge step for me If I could walk outside without so much fear..everything would be easier..

Emily_G

You know what else is awkward? Elevators with other people in them. Esp when it's crowded. Happened to me yesterday and made me think of this thread, lol.

(and if it's an attractive woman, I then turn and check out her butt as she's walking away)

lol, Yeah, Coyote, me too.
Usually, it just depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I'll try to catch their eye from a distance, preparing myself to say hello (not easy), or other times I'll just stare to the ground or off into the distance. If I just pass them without even acknowledging them, I feel so rude and guilty.

I mostly look at people, cuz I'm very alert , i look at everything around me. because i feel so self concious. When something happens i'm the first one who has got it in sight. But sometimes like lots of you guys, I stare at the ground.
It's just how i feel .. But like you, i always get so much panic, my eyes get teary, and i feel anxiety alot. it's just that i'm so self concious that i start blushing, don't know where to look at, and it makes me really nervous.

Wish I could do anything about it. Then My life would be so much more better.

planemo

I never make eye contact with anyone, and if I do and I see someone making eye contact with me, I immediately look away. The other day I looked directly at a girl who was looking at me. My first thought was that she thought I was some freak... That's just how I automatically react. ::(:

EscapeArtist

I feel funny staring in one spot while passing somebody... So I stare at the ground when they're a little farther away, and then increase my gaze into looking ahead of me. Hahaha I've got it all planned out as they walk by.

jaypee06

im really alert too and tend to look at people first and then do an awkward purse-of-the-lips/grin and then shif my attention to the ground and do things like count how many steps i take in each segment of cement or not stepping on certain coloured tiles or lines :/

Crawling

I feel funny staring in one spot while passing somebody... So I stare at the ground when they're a little farther away, and then increase my gaze into looking ahead of me. Hahaha I've got it all planned out as they walk by.

Sounds like me ::p: Or I just pretend to send a message to someone on my cell phone :rolleyes:

Ravens

I tend to glance at people, but only for a fraction of a second, the rest of the time my eyes are either clearly on the ground or just ahead.
I may even cross the road before it gets that far heh...

M1tCh

Banned
It depends...But i tend to look away until I'm within close proximity of the person or persons. Once 'we meet', i glance and say hi. Sometimes i just stare through people, holding eye contact as long as possible. Blergh.

Mr. S

I usually try to make eye contact for a fraction of a second to try to make it look like I'm not totally ignoring them, then I stare at the ground or straight past them.

applegirl

Sh**, and I thought I was like the only one in the world who had this problem! i hate passing people on the street because I always feel so awkward. It used to be really bad to the point where I'd physically cringe and blink a lot whenever I passed someone but now I just have trouble holding my gaze on whatever it is that keeps me calm and not freak out. I don't like staring at the ground for some reason. I like looking forward but not at the person I am passing. Sometimes I think the other person might be curious about me, too, cause some of them glance at me real fast before they completely pass me.
The worst for me is trains. The horror! I hate getting on a train with all the seats taken up and I'm the only one getting onto that particular train car. then people start looking at me and studying what I'm wearing or whatever. it drives me nuts cause then I don't know how to remain calm. sometimes i stare out the window across from me or look at my reflection and pretend but there's only so much I can take before i realize a person has been staring at me for a long time. i hate sitting across from someone and the person just can't stop looking around and glancing up and around at me and everything around them. it's been so bad sometimes i take out my school notes or assignments and just look down and pretend to be reading just so I don't have to feel afraid and embarrassed.