When you don't enjoy talking to most people

Ajaix

I don't really enjoy talking to people either. And i try to avoid it as much as possible but i will admit. when i do talk to someone i don't know usually i enjoyed it and wish i did it more. So then i tell my self to talk to more people then i freak out lol.

worrywort

I think I agree with you. There are some people with nothing in life but are able to find peace and contentment, while there are some who have it all and are miserable. So I don't think it's a necessity for happiness to have lots of people in our lives.

And I LOVE the life you've painted. You live alone, you like to play video games, watch NBA, eat burger king. Society makes us feel like there's something wrong with that, but I think it's awesome. Video games are great! The NBA is great, and Burger King is great!!! Enjoy it. Right on!

We're all made differently, and some of us work better when we social-ize* a lot and some of us work better when we social-ize* very little. There's nothing wrong with either. One danger I would look out for however, is the lack of challenge. I think we all seem to be designed to desire growth and improvement, and that comes through challenging ourselves. So as long as you have goals I say enjoy your solitude and don't let societies expectations ruin it for you :thumbup:

[*excuse the spelling. SPW was censoring the word for some reason!?]

worrywort

i think much of this comes down to how introverted and independent one is..i do believe that everyone, even the most introverted needs 1-2 friendships in their life..1-2 people they can talk and just be themselves to, depend on...people like this are very hard to find though..

Yea this is true. There's something inside of us that desires to find like-minded souls. It can be tough if you can't find anyone who's on your same wavelength. It's one of the reasons I love this site so much, I feel like everybody here shares the same core struggle in life.

Falloutboy

I am guilty of hiding from the outside world and trying my darndest to avoid social interactions... It seems like everything that I give to most people is forced.

I feel like my kids, my husband, and my mom are all I need, for the most part. Socializing at work doesn't bother me too much at least, as it's the same people everyday and I've grown comfortable with them, if that makes sense. I would never make it I customer service.

Quiet12

I've come to the realization that the conversations that most people have bore me. I also think that part of the reason I'm so quiet is because people talk about things that I either can't relate to (partying, getting drunk or high, or going on exciting vacations) or wasn't a part of. Although I can't say this with all certainty I think like us are naturally thinkers we think about things more deeply so when most people talk, they talk about things that to us are mundane, whereas when we talk we like talk about more important subjects.

shyflower

I think the reason for me not wanting to talk to people at all is because I have realized in just the past few weeks that a lot of people that I have spoken with are not listening to me. I have been in situations where I was talking to a friend sitting right beside me and there would be someone else on the other side of me..putting me in the middle and then all of a sudden I found myself in between the two being completely ignored. They would both be pretty much talking loud to hear each other and there I was getting angry sitting there. I would either have to excuse myself from their presence or say something like "Hello, remember me, I am still here too". I have also been in that situation where I would be talking and I would get "Hugh, what did you say?" I feel like nobody is listening anymore and I am boring therefore I do not talk to people much anymore. It sucks being ignored... :rolleyes:

WeirdyMcGee

I *do* need money, however... so I need a job-- and unfortunately, the only jobs I'm qualified to do are in public service which means... serving the public and facing people.

haha

bluewolf22

I intentionally decided to be a loner, because most people I bump into tend to have materialistic/superficial values, which I can't relate to, I believe you shouldn't have to change who you are just to talk to people. I've heard many people say "Just be yourself", yeah... to what avail.

spurs13

This is one of the most positive posts I've ever read. I agree, society and social media in particular causes some of us to want way more friends than we actually need. When I think about it, I'd hate to be popular. Only a few of the popular people I've met are genuinely nice. Most of them are selective about who they show empathy and can be manipulative. I dont need more than 3-4 good friends and a girlfriend I guess.

With watching the NBA finals alone, I think its nicer to watch it in a pub or social environment as it involves socializing without really expecting or wanting something out of it. This might just be a preference thing though. However, I'm sometimes just lazy and dont really need the socializing enough to walk all the way to the pub. So I agree on that front, life is pretty good if you can first and foremost be comfortable with the mindset of enjoying it alone.