Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I'm unemployed.

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ehsan

Can anyone even live with a < $10,000/year income?

the answer is YES for some regions of world and NO for some other regions (including u.s.). I didn't find anyway to include regional matters and maybe this is a weak point for this poll.:)

Ehsan

Not really... In a place filled with Social Phobics, it's assumed that most people are unemployed. :) Glad i'm not the only one.

i think the real number would be higher than 40% coz we've many users here for other disorders(depression, ocd ...) or some healthy ones just to help their friends/relatives.
also some users are under 18 which should be excluded.

SilentStranger

I assume this is in US Dollars. 9 ppl posted 60K+. Is thats like almost 100K in Oz dollers. That's a very good salary here. Is it good salary in US?.. what about in Europe?

-SS

Ehsan

i posted this survey about 2 weeks ago to find out average annual income of ones with social phobia and here is the results after few analyses.
number of participants: 120
1) over 46% of users above 18 are unemployed.
2) the average annual income of SPW users is about 15,000$ which is close to poverty threshold in US.
you can check average annual income of Americans here:
Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i think the real average income for social phobia sufferers is even lower than 15,000$/year because many of SPW users are here for other disorders or just to help their relatives/friends.
this survey has also a main weak spot and that is neglecting regional matters because 15,000$/year is a good income in some regions of world.

conclusion:
it seems Social Phobia is more than a debilitating mental disorder. It's also a serious financial matter for sufferers while SP has been referred to by many as the neglected anxiety disorder.

sabbath9

Banned
I voted 60K+, and I credit Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for reversing my downward spiral. Before ACT I had plenty of years in poverty, and that really sucked. Not being able to pay bills or buy food can really sink your confidence. We all have to remember that we suffer from a disease and that we're not at fault for this happening to us.

IceLad

I'm unemployed and I can't see that changing in the near future.

The amount of jobs being advertised in my local newspapers is really starting to dry up.

WeirdyMcGee

I'm unemployed now but there was a brief time in my life when I was making quite a bit of money.
Enough to donate 75% to charity and still live comfortably, anyway.

Other than that time, I've lived beneath the poverty level often and grew up in social housing- worked 3 jobs all the way through highschool.. yada, yada, yada-- so, yeah.
Plenty of people live off of under 10k/year.
It's hard but it's possible. Just not comfortable.
You get used to not having any luxuries like un-processed foods,new clothing, cable or telephone. haha

My Social Anxiety has plagued me in previous jobs, as far as communicating and advancing my status within the company. Luckily the line of work I do now, doesn't require a WHOLE lot of personal interaction with our clients other than occasionally over the phone. I hold a decent job with SA, $40/k for now.

sprode

How can I make money if I can't get a job? No one's going to hire me... the job scene in this country is crap enough without what I bring.

On the other hand I'd rather just go live on the street than pander to this society. I should be better than that. I know I'm smarter than that, and I work harder than that. Even if I had that though I'm not sure I can find a reason for it.