what's the point of therapy?

Lorraine Manca

I have indeed received therapy from several witch doctors...I mean psychologists and in fact, I found their voodoo magic just as pathetic as the EMDR. One of the psychologists was the director of the mental health department from the University of Minnesota's campus. Sorry, my impression of this profession isn't a good one, because mainly of my experiences with them so far. They all seem like "quack's" to me...

i agree. i gave it the benefit of the doubt, but these people seem like frauds making false promises and getting your hopes up.

206Raider

I know it works great for some people and I think it is helpful. I might go back to get some things off my chest and get some professional advice but my therapist was really nice to me and it was easy to talk to her and she always sent me e-mails about what I should do during the week. I didn't always do them and that was my problem, I feel a little better now and I think I could. But, as far as it being worth the money? I don't know, I don't think so, if you have a really good friend that understands what your going through then it's pretty much the same thing becuase I won't take pills anyway

Last edited:

iamthenra

Ah well...I suppose that the majority of psychologists are "quacks" as you term it. A few bad apples fouls the barrel, just as bad experiences affect our outlook on such things. I cannot force you to find favor with psychologists, thus if it is your choice then I leave you to it. Though I certainly wish things had gone differently for you.

What I found ridiculous about them, was that they were very eager to label me with some mental health disorder. Labels' were everywhere... I'm sorry, but if you take two people with the same exact personality and thought patterns and label one of them with OCD or something like it and the other individual with "Genius" after a few years I wonder which one will be doing better? Hmmm? Labels are destructive in my opinion. Then to make insult to injury, their outrageous fee's they charge for 50 minutes of work costs me and my health insurance company as much as $300. for just one office visit at the U of M. The only thing that "therapy" helped me out with was making me poor! Then of course I was a patient that needed more therapy than the average person, so he wanted me to come in twice a week... You know what he was after $$$$$$$$ Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out... Easy money for someone who just sits there behind a tablet writing a grocery list or a doodle of sorts I am sure, and says very little throughout the conversation which is almost always one sided. By then end of the 50 minutes I am horse and my mouth is dry because I was doing all the talking. How the heck is that supposed to help anyone??? I can say all what I said here on this forum and get the same reaction, and advice. The problem was not with just one "quack" it was with all of them, which is why I tried so many... They the psychiatrists just love to push drugs, and when the drugs that they are giving you don't work... Then they start experimenting by combining different drugs together, almost like a mad scientist whipping up a potion at my brain's expense... Oh and the fainting spells were just a side affect of that therapy... Whoa, what a trip that was... "Dude...that's my skull" HAH! :D

Silvox Black

What I found ridiculous about them, was that they were very eager to label me with some mental health disorder. Labels' were everywhere... I'm sorry, but if you take two people with the same exact personality and thought patterns and label one of them with OCD or something like it and the other individual with "Genius" after a few years I wonder which one will be doing better? Hmmm? Labels are destructive in my opinion. Then to make insult to injury, their outrageous fee's they charge for 50 minutes of work costs me and my health insurance company as much as $300. for just one office visit at the U of M. The only thing that "therapy" helped me out with was making me poor! Then of course I was a patient that needed more therapy than the average person, so he wanted me to come in twice a week... You know what he was after $$$$$$$$ Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out... Easy money for someone who just sits there behind a tablet writing a grocery list or a doodle of sorts I am sure, and says very little throughout the conversation which is almost always one sided. By then end of the 50 minutes I am horse and my mouth is dry because I was doing all the talking. How the heck is that supposed to help anyone??? I can say all what I said here on this forum and get the same reaction, and advice. The problem was not with just one "quack" it was with all of them, which is why I tried so many... They the psychiatrists just love to push drugs, and when the drugs that they are giving you don't work... Then they start experimenting by combining different drugs together, almost like a mad scientist whipping up a potion at my brain's expense... Oh and the fainting spells were just a side affect of that therapy... Whoa, what a trip that was... "Dude...that's my skull" HAH! :D

This is why I am so disgusted with so much of the field, I myself have had to witness just how much of a pathetic insult most psychologists and psychiatrists are to the art. This is why I dedicated myself to psychology. If anything, I want to prove that not all true psychologists are dead. Much of the true nature of psychology and the healing it is meant to bring has been crushed and despoiled by human ignorance. I hate nothing more than seeing good people suffer at the hands of inept idiots such as those psychologists you mentioned. This is why I strive to be something better than those fools. I can only hope that someday you meet me if I achieve my goals of becoming a clinical psychologist.