what's the point of therapy?

Lorraine Manca

i've wondered this for awhile, but never thought to ask here. so far
in a nutshell, ive learned that the problem you have to undo is that the coping mechanisms that worked for you as a kid end up biting you in the butt as an adult. thats great to know, but i really dont see how therapy helps anxiety. i keep on hearing the phrase "work through your problems". what does that mean!!!

Silvox Black

The key to therapy is having someone there to support you and assist you in overcoming the emotional hardships and turmoil that come with anxiety. A therapist is meant to be a friend, a caring figure, whoever you truly need them to be. The point of therapy is to help you improve your thinking and quality of life. It is meant to show that you have a person who cares for you. It is also meant to fix any problem causing thought patterns or beliefs you may have.

Noca

Banned
Depends on which type of therapy your talking about. Tell me a type of therapy and ill tell you the purpose.

Silvox Black

alright, its a cheerleader, why does a cheerleader need a phD?

To know the causes of many various disorders and gain the skills necessary to truly be able to apply your knowledge to the craft, you must learn it. You cannot simply be empathetic and say you are a therapist. The mind is linked to every action we have, we must learn how it functions, the purposes of each region. One must know what certain behaviors are predetermined in our genes, one must be able to separate why we act one way and how others would influence it. It is not so simple a craft to join.

iamthenra

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing according to my research.

I tried this type of therapy too... The therapist was very concerned that I might "freak out" that night after the first session... He explained it to me that by watching this LED go back and forth on this light bar that it would somehow "unlock" all the bottled up anger and pain from the abuse that I suffered when I was very young. Of course they thought I had PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) from all the beatings and such... Quite honestly I thought the therapy was a bit voodoo or hokus pokus for me... I might as well had hired a witch doctor to perform some spell on me... I should have just save my money. But I was desperate to rid myself of the anxiety and depression. I still am, but I am forced to accept this life sentence, since most of my good years are behind me already. I have tried allot of psychologists and a few psychiatrists, and from what I have experienced is that they all seem like "cheer leaders" at least in my minds eye. I'm not impressed with there so called "therapy"... Even the drugs didn't work, then they started mixing different types of anitpsychotics with no luck, and no relief from this crap. I threw in the towel with regard to the "medical" professions that try to "help"...

juju

Having spent years in therapy CBT, hypnotherapy etc and spending whatever on medication - personalyl i have come to the conclusion that everyone is there own work in evolution. That no external force ie therapy or drugs can precepitate the very change that is wanted/expected when undertaking these things. Whether or not you will be "cured" of SA, if that was the aim, will happen independtly of therapy and when your ready.

gsmax5

The key to therapy is having someone there to support you and assist you in overcoming the emotional hardships and turmoil that come with anxiety. A therapist is meant to be a friend, a caring figure, whoever you truly need them to be. The point of therapy is to help you improve your thinking and quality of life. It is meant to show that you have a person who cares for you. It is also meant to fix any problem causing thought patterns or beliefs you may have.

So basically, it's like a hooker, but for talking. Right?

sabbath

Banned
The purpose of ACT is to live a full life, one that means something to you, regardless of the rise and full of emotions, memories, feelings, thoughts, etc. With ACT you can be response-able, no longer frozen by fear, doubt and indecision.

Silvox Black

So basically, it's like a hooker, but for talking. Right?

Oh please, by all means be vulgar about it. However a "hooker" would not bring emotional satisfaction since at the end of the day, what you truly accomplished was pay money for a temporary happiness.

Lorraine Manca

I tried this type of therapy too... The therapist was very concerned that I might "freak out" that night after the first session... He explained it to me that by watching this LED go back and forth on this light bar that it would somehow "unlock" all the bottled up anger and pain from the abuse that I suffered when I was very young. Of course they thought I had PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) from all the beatings and such... Quite honestly I thought the therapy was a bit voodoo or hokus pokus for me... I might as well had hired a witch doctor to perform some spell on me... I should have just save my money. But I was desperate to rid myself of the anxiety and depression. I still am, but I am forced to accept this life sentence, since most of my good years are behind me already. I have tried allot of psychologists and a few psychiatrists, and from what I have experienced is that they all seem like "cheer leaders" at least in my minds eye. I'm not impressed with there so called "therapy"... Even the drugs didn't work, then they started mixing different types of anitpsychotics with no luck, and no relief from this crap. I threw in the towel with regard to the "medical" professions that try to "help"...

thanks, this post helped alot. i think im going to stop it soon. it normally makes me feel much worse afterwards anyway. i know it seems really silly, its seems pretty effective at making you recall memories, but then, what the point is of remembering, i dont know.

Silvox Black

This is why I despise psychiatrists so much, they damage the true art and reputation of psychologists. Drugs alone will not solve such a problem and many times I believe they add on even more troubles for the patient. Have you ever taken therapy from a psychologist before? Without any sort of medications or drugs? Have you ever found a therapist that you can truly trust in and confide in? My apologies for being so direct.

Noca

Banned
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing according to my research.

I don't know Eye movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. However, Systematic Desensitization as i know it is having a hierarchy of fears from anxiety provoking situations, starting at the least fear, doing exposures, and working your way up the hierarchy with a goal to eventually lower your overall anxiety.

iamthenra

This is why I despise psychiatrists so much, they damage the true art and reputation of psychologists. Drugs alone will not solve such a problem and many times I believe they add on even more troubles for the patient. Have you ever taken therapy from a psychologist before? Without any sort of medications or drugs? Have you ever found a therapist that you can truly trust in and confide in? My apologies for being so direct.

I have indeed received therapy from several witch doctors...I mean psychologists and in fact, I found their voodoo magic just as pathetic as the EMDR. One of the psychologists was the director of the mental health department from the University of Minnesota's campus. Sorry, my impression of this profession isn't a good one, because mainly of my experiences with them so far. They all seem like "quack's" to me...

Silvox Black

I have indeed received therapy from several witch doctors...I mean psychologists and in fact, I found their voodoo magic just as pathetic as the EMDR. One of the psychologists was the director of the mental health department from the University of Minnesota's campus. Sorry, my impression of this profession isn't a good one, because mainly of my experiences with them so far. They all seem like "quack's" to me...

Ah well...I suppose that the majority of psychologists are "quacks" as you term it. A few bad apples fouls the barrel, just as bad experiences affect our outlook on such things. I cannot force you to find favor with psychologists, thus if it is your choice then I leave you to it. Though I certainly wish things had gone differently for you.