What RELIGION are you?

GIOLANDA

Septor said:
I have brilliant idea.Why don't we allow people to believe in what ever philosophy/religion that they want to.Then everyone will be happy.I don't think that anyone should dictate to anyone else what philosophy/religion they want to follow but like human do they have to proclaim there way as the best way.That's humans for you always so predictable.
I've sald that before,Septor,I wanted to stop this subject,but I see that it's endless,they won't stop! Well,I had decided to stop posting here,but as I'm a Christian,I just couldn't stay and watch when terrible things about God are posted. I suppose that I must not read the posts here anymore,in order to shut up!

cLavain

Reholla said:
I am a Christian and I would like some one to explain to me how the world was created if there is no such God

There are several theories, and there may or may not be a creator. But there is absolutely nothing that connects this hypothetical creator with the Bible. That's my point! Why are you right and Hinduists wrong, Reholla?

Besides, pointing to God doesn't explain anything, for what created God? And if you're lazy and claim that God was always there, then you might as well say that the universe was always there and be done with it. You see?

Giolanda said:
Well,sorry cLavain,I wanted to stop talking about this endless subject,but I see that I can't,so forget it all about the deal Laughing I won't say many things anyway! I f you read the Bible you'll see that Satan will be punished in the end,an angel will throw him into the lake of fire-that's hell. And remember that God could make us like robots,so as to worship Him only,but He didn't,because He let us free. Don't you see how nice He is? He let you free,to talk against Him!
Well, those tickets to Crete never arrived in my mailbox! :( :lol:
Anyway, why is God waiting so long!? Think of all the suffering in the meantime! No, it really doesn't make any sense, and the Christian god is truly not worthy of worship.

Zosima said:
The Big Bang is God's orgasm, & everything in the Universe is the cum of God; - & as God was alone to begin with, He must have been masterbating in order to achieve orgasm !!
Blasphemy!!! *pointing finger* :)

Zipper

GIOLANDA said:
I wanted to stop this subject,but I see that it's endless,they won't stop!!
Christians feel totally uninhibited about traveling all around the world and the internet saying such things as: "The Bible is true when it says there are divine penalties for the violation of God's law." "Believing Jesus is God is the only way God allows a sinner to unite with him in the eternal world" Etc. But the minute someone says, "Wait a minute, let's think through the implications of Christianity analytically," and "What are the alternative ways of thinking?" they throw up their hands and want to shut down all dialogue about ultimate matters. Well, if you felt that way, you should have kept your theories of God-man relations to yourself.

Christians not only want to drop out of the conversation themselves, but wish that all others too would just stop talking, thinking and dreaming.
GIOLANDA said:
as I'm a Christian,I just couldn't stay and watch when terrible things about God are posted!
I feel the same way as a NeoPlatonist when I hear Christians teach that God enforces his law by rendering punishments that don't have correction as their end upon the non-believing sinner or Christ as his substitute. The Christian theology is an insult to God and I can't stay and watch when terrible things about God are taught and believed.

Reholla

Zipper said:
GIOLANDA said:
Christians feel totally uninhibited about traveling all around the world and the internet saying such things as: "The Bible is true when it says there are divine penalties for the violation of God's law." "Believing Jesus is God is the only way God allows a sinner to unite with him in the eternal world" Etc. But the minute someone says, "Wait a minute, let's think through the implications of Christianity analytically," and "What are the alternative ways of thinking?" they throw up their hands and want to shut down all dialogue about ultimate matters. Well, if you felt that way, you should have kept your theories of God-man relations to yourself.

Christians not only want to drop out of the conversation themselves, but wish that all others too would just stop talking, thinking and dreaming.
GIOLANDA said:
as I'm a Christian,I just couldn't stay and watch when terrible things about God are posted!
I feel the same way as a NeoPlatonist when I hear Christians teach that God enforces his law by rendering punishments that don't have correction as their end upon the non-believing sinner or Christ as his substitute. The Christian theology is an insult to God and I can't stay and watch when terrible things about God are taught and believed.

yeah way to prove your point be generalizing all Christians as not knowing what theyre talking about (catch the sarcasm?) Youve accomplished nothing by stereotyping a religion, so i dont see your point in that.

Zosima, you ask what kind of lesson is that??! Let me quote Coldplay and say that "no body said it was easy" Thats not even from a religious stand point, but why do you assume life is going to be struggle-free any way? Thats a set up to be let down.

I could talk for days and days on this subject, but we arent getting much done in this forum seeing as everytime I ask some one to explain something, you basically use circulum-lacution and dodge the whole point by using fancy words to "distract" what im really trying to get at.

And about the whole big-bang thing: I am not convinced. If anyone has AIM or wants to PM me about this subject i am up for more discussion. But as far as posting anything on here, I dont feel like theres much being said.

cLavain

Reholla said:
But as far as posting anything on here, I dont feel like theres much being said.
So you admit that there is no reason why Christianity is better than Hinduism or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster then?

Someone who is really interested in the truth would not be avoiding difficult questions. That is the tactic of someone who has wilfully closed their eyes.

GIOLANDA

cLavain said:
Reholla said:
I am a Christian and I would like some one to explain to me how the world was created if there is no such God

There are several theories, and there may or may not be a creator. But there is absolutely nothing that connects this hypothetical creator with the Bible. That's my point! Why are you right and Hinduists wrong, Reholla?

Besides, pointing to God doesn't explain anything, for what created God? And if you're lazy and claim that God was always there, then you might as well say that the universe was always there and be done with it. You see?

Giolanda said:
Well,sorry cLavain,I wanted to stop talking about this endless subject,but I see that I can't,so forget it all about the deal Laughing I won't say many things anyway! I f you read the Bible you'll see that Satan will be punished in the end,an angel will throw him into the lake of fire-that's hell. And remember that God could make us like robots,so as to worship Him only,but He didn't,because He let us free. Don't you see how nice He is? He let you free,to talk against Him!
Well, those tickets to Crete never arrived in my mailbox! :( :lol:
Anyway, why is God waiting so long!? Think of all the suffering in the meantime! No, it really doesn't make any sense, and the Christian god is truly not worthy of worship.

Zosima said:
The Big Bang is God's orgasm, & everything in the Universe is the cum of God; - & as God was alone to begin with, He must have been masterbating in order to achieve orgasm !!
Blasphemy!!! *pointing finger* :)
Whatever I say,you'll never understand if you don't read the Bible yourself. So,no comments :D

GIOLANDA

Zipper said:
GIOLANDA said:

GIOLANDA said:
Ok Zipper,you want me to keep my theories for myself,but you are the only one who posts theories! By the way,why can't you keep them to yourself? I can't understand your anger or fear towards Christianity,I'm not angry about Neo-Platonism. Anyway,I think that you should write a book,with all your theories,which I can't really understand. Things are easy,but you want them complicated. Let it be,you will understand what I mean,someday.

cLavain

GIOLANDA said:
Whatever I say,you'll never understand if you don't read the Bible yourself. So,no comments :D

But it doesn't matter. The main questions I have asked several times now are these: Why be a Christian and not a Hinduist or a Buddhist? Why do you think you're right and everyone else wrong? What connects the creator to the Bible?

Why are there no Christians that dare to face these fundamental questions head on? :)

GIOLANDA

cLavain said:
GIOLANDA said:

But it doesn't matter. The main questions I have asked several times now are these: Why be a Christian and not a Hinduist or a Buddhist? Why do you think you're right and everyone else wrong? What connects the creator to the Bible?

Why are there no Christians that dare to face these fundamental questions head on? :)
Because there are proofs that Christianity is true. Proofs that don't exist in any other theory. What proofs? As I said,you must read to understand. Gosh,Zipper is going to see this post! I'm leaving! :lol:

GIOLANDA

cLavain said:
GIOLANDA said:

Because there are proofs that Christianity is true. Proofs that don't exist in any other theory. What proofs? As I said,you must read to understand. Gosh,Zipper is going to see this post! I'm leaving! :lol:

jauggy

I think humans have the need to believe in God. So whether or not He exists is irrelevant to many. People just need to believe in something.

BTW I am Atheist but used to be Christian. And i was much happier as a Christian believing that God existed. That's why Christians believe in God - because it's easier to face life's problems if you believe there's a purpose to it.

Can I ask you, would you rather be wrong and happy, or correct and miserable? That question explains why there are so many people in this world who believe in God in some form or another.

You should leave them their happiness.

(Oops, almost forgot the token smiley face :) )

Lavinia84

Sorry, I realise its not obvous to everyone...Har-akhti means Horus of the Horizon, thats where it refers to Horus.

I'm actually happy to think Akhenaten was a monotheist, I like Akhenaten.
But the religion was implemented from the top down, it was the Kings idea, his god. So I don't buy the idea that anyone much converted seriously to this religion in the 10 or so years it was enforced, or that they would stick with it after the era's demise. I mean even at Akhetaten there are idols to the old gods in houses, so its not like the people who lived there even belived in one God.

Its also too convienient to see a link between this religion and that of a group of nomads in the Levant who reportadly rock up in Egypt 100yrs after Akhenaten, when they are already supposed to be monotheists before they even got there!

I can see how a group would go from many gods, to a special god for them only, to there only being one god.

The question is not where did they get this idea, but where did Akhenaten get his idea? Is it similar, he thought Aten was his personal special God, but not necessarily the only god in existance?

shovelhead

cLavain said:
GIOLANDA said:

Well that is the difference between pluralist religions and non-pluralist religions.. Pluralism suggests that all can be right at the same time as none are "right" for g-d but different religions are right for many different people... what's "right" for me isn't "right" for you...

Unfortunately not all that many religions have adopted this approach... yet... but some have... pluralism is an important aspect of progressive Judaism (and newer religions such as Bahai), and incorporation of pluralism into our beliefs is actually one of the reasons we are considered heretics by more traditional streams of Judaism. That, and the belief that your personal autonomy is far more important than dogmatic practices (you follow what feels right for 'you').

Ohh and to answer the original question: My faith of choice is obviousy progressive Judaism, although I guess I am an agnostic Jew.. I don't believe without doubt, but I choose to believe if that makes sense?

cLavain

jauggy said:
I think humans have the need to believe in God. So whether or not He exists is irrelevant to many. People just need to believe in something.

BTW I am Atheist but used to be Christian. And i was much happier as a Christian believing that God existed. That's why Christians believe in God - because it's easier to face life's problems if you believe there's a purpose to it.

Can I ask you, would you rather be wrong and happy, or correct and miserable? That question explains why there are so many people in this world who believe in God in some form or another.

That is a valid point, and don't think I haven't realized that blind faith gives comfort. It sure does. I mean, it would be great to believe that some God really cared about me, but once you have seen through it there's no way back...

Should I let people believe what they want? If their superstitious beliefs have no consequences for anyone else, then no problemo, but too often we see religious people demand that others behave like this or that because of some completely irrational reason. Example: Muslims demanding that people of other faiths refrain from drawing their prophet. Or Christians demanding that gays should not be allowed to get married because the Bible says so. I mean, what the hell is that all about!?

shovelhead said:
Well that is the difference between pluralist religions and non-pluralist religions.. Pluralism suggests that all can be right at the same time as none are "right" for g-d but different religions are right for many different people... what's "right" for me isn't "right" for you...
I'm not sure, but are you saying that reality is different for different people? Would you take me seriously if I said gravity doesn't apply to me, because I don't believe in it? :? Okay, I appreciate the effort to be inclusive, but everyone can't be right, because different religions are often contradictory.

Dancer

jauggy said:

It's like they say, ignorance is bliss.
But although it might make you happy, it actually hinders the human race.
Religions like Christianity hinder the advancement of humans, because they are static beliefs, whereas science is always changing as new discoveries are made. Imagine if everyone believed in god(s) and used them to explain everything; people wouldnt bother to search for alternatives because they already know that god is responsible for everything.
And besides, there are plenty of ways to be happy without worshipping deities! (I think defeating social phobia would be one of them)

In regards to the main question of this topic, I'm a LaVeyan Satanist.

its weird. i just prayed earlier. even though i have lost all faith sometimes it seems like its the only course of action left to take in a situation. it wasnt very comforting but it was better than nothing. maybe even a seed of faith is better than nothing on long dark nights?

Zipper

Prayers is Good, but we should remember that people prayed to the ONE long before there was a Bible that taught of Yahweh who punishes non-believing sinners without an intention of correcting them.

triceratops

My opinion is people belive in religion because they are weak minded and like to have something to belive in that gives them faith which is fair enough theres nothing wrong with it.

"All men are created equal"

What I dont understand is you could have "man 1" who has belived in god all his life gone to church obeyed all the rules yet all his family is killed in a fire and he loses everything he is forced to be homeless turns to alcohol because of his problems in one of his drunken states he gets hit by a car he ends up paralyed and cannot walk for the rest of his life he soon after gets cancer and dies an early death.

"Man 2" doesnt belive in god and despises religion yet he is sucessful in life is wealthy and raises a wonderful family and he lives his life with no problems.

ok this is a bit extreme but this does happen why isnt god on man 1's side he remained faithful and lived his life by the book. religion just doesnt make sense to me..

This is just an opinion and not intended to cause arguements 8)

Zipper

Zosima said:
Zipper said:
Prayers is Good, but we should remember that people prayed to the ONE long before there was a Bible that taught of Yahweh who punishes non-believing sinners without an intention of correcting them.
When did people first start praying to the ONE, Zipper ?
Every prayer prayed with an intention that is good, and a disposition of the heart that is earnest, trusting, and virtuous is a prayer to the ONE, whether the Person uses the name Molech, Shiva or Yahweh.

Marshall

[
quote="Zipper"]
scyth said:
I don't belive in religion but what's a neo-planist out of curiousity?
It is natural religion -- the theories of God-man relations developed by the Neo-Platonist philosophers -- Iamblichus, Proclus, Prophyry, Plotinus -- based on their readings of the metaphysical works of Plato. It basically teaches that divine judgment is corrective and that his punishments correct, transform, and heal, integrating humanity into the "One" -- God.

It teaches that there is no heaven, no hell, no divine penalties for the violation of the divine law, no Christian atonement, no living forever -- just an eternal world where all humans are the students, and God is a wise teacher whose wrath transfigures us. Divine judgment is pedagogical. This is why we believe that Christianity is a noxious theory -- it teaches humans to avoid the very thing that would most bring them to joy -- the operation of God's infinite judgment.

Such an understanding of divine judgment is particularly helpful for people with social anxiety disorder, and this is why I think all people with social anxiety disorder should become Neo-Platonists. But my approach to Christianity is like a bull in a china-shop, I admit.[/quote] 8) 8) [quote+zipper} keep doing what you do, we all breath the same air.x