What is rep power?

Rodox

its when you like a post or person and add to their reputation,I never used or like it,I just think it isolates some posters.

kuhtreen

its when you like a post or person and add to their reputation,I never used or like it,I just think it isolates some posters.

Yeah I agree, I don't use it. The last thing we need on here are more reasons to feel inadequate.

Tiercel

I'm not sure what it's ultimate purpose is, nor am I sure it's a good idea on a site where many users feel like they're somehow less than others.

That being said, someone gave me 1 point somewhere along the line. I didn't pay too much attention to when it first showed up, so I have no idea where the darn thing came from. So while the idea itself doesn't impress me, I am impressed by the mystery that it has produced. And I think until I find out how I got it (if I ever do), I'll just tell myself that some mysterious person loves me very much. Mom, I just hope it's not from you. ;)

princess_haru

I've given a few people rep points (can't remember who they were now, so I can't help to clear up your mystery, Tiercel!) when their post has made me smile or when I think they've given good advice to someone. But I agree that the points could easily become a silly popularity contest, with people repping their online friends and hoping for points back - we really don't need that here! :p

Ashiene

Why is it that I am a regular, long-time poster and yet I only have 5 rep points, while I've seen people who already have 12 rep just 1 day after they registered, and who have only made 1 post?!

sabbath9

Banned
Why is it that I am a regular, long-time poster and yet I only have 5 rep points, while I've seen people who already have 12 rep just 1 day after they registered, and who have only made 1 post?!

We remove points for complaining ;)

princess_haru

Lol, I don't have any! I wouldn't take it too seriously if I were you, I think some people just click them on a whim and others give them to newbies to be welcoming/encouraging, while some people avoid them altogether because they don't like the concept of it (it does seem a little too close to a popularity contest to be suitable for an SA site!) ::p:

Lea

Banned
Of course this is not to be taken seriously. I guess many people even don´t know about this possiblity and I myself don´t give reps for every good post I read, most of the time I just don´t think of it. I have given a few though, and once it was refused - it wasn´t allowed to rep the same person twice or what. I don´t know why, btw. in my case I never give rep just because I like the person or to greet beginners or something like that :).
Now I have 19 points and rep power 2. Does it mean when I give reputation to someone he will get 2 points? Once I got 5 points from somebody, which probably means he had rep power 5? And how do you know Ashiene someone has 12 points, I thought the points of other people are visible only to them?

Ashiene

Can you tell me how to see rep points again i cant reemember (besides clicking on my own post and selecting add to rep). o and i asked them when i saw their green thing says distinguished road which is 10+ points i think.

Last edited:

I_Walk_Alone

Yep. It can **** with your head, theres no doubt about that.

Must of tripped someone out hard.

I dont give a **** about the wanky rep shit, i'm more worried about posters getting paranoid that i'm getting paranoid about them.

I DONT GIVE A ****