What has greatly motivated you in the past? choose

What has motivated you?

• Wasted time, and the need to get somewhere

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Peer pressure because everyone my age has gotten somwhere.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My parents won't stop bugging me.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Nothing has motivated me, I'm just helpless, hopeless, and stuck.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

voodoochild16

Hey all,
For those of you who were able to greatly motivate themselves to achieve nearly impossible things that you could never imagine, answer the poll to create a nice graph so we can all see what has motivated everyone in the past.

For me, it's wasted time that has motivated me, and the need to get somewhere.

MikeyC

What have you done differently now? What have you achieved?

I am none of those. Basically it was realising that my life was going nowhere fast and I needed to change. I didn't change due to wasted time, peer pressure, or parents, but my own epiphany of not being able to continue the way I was going. Now I've achieved things I never thought I could just one year ago.

voodoochild16

What have you done differently now? What have you achieved?

I am none of those. Basically it was realising that my life was going nowhere fast and I needed to change. I didn't change due to wasted time, peer pressure, or parents, but my own epiphany of not being able to continue the way I was going. Now I've achieved things I never thought I could just one year ago.

I don't want to sound like I have so much inspirational information to tell a story with, but I can only say that the depression was so bad that it's hard to even get out of bed every day. If I didn't work, I'd sleep in every morning.

I graduated late, because I had to drop out in grade 10. But going back was nearly impossible, and also doing the work, all due to depression.

And many other basic things have been extremely hard to achieve. Right now I just feel helpless, and like my life is just going through a endless road to nowhere. Living alone is the worst thing you can do to yourself, and so here I am. But I am going to try my best for the future.

I have to keep realizing that I got to grind to achieve. But it's just so ****ing hard. I relax too much. The depression is just so severe, and I don't want to even try meds because they make me feel even worse. I like having a clear mind.

So I'm 25 now, and it's just ****ing bullshit that life has to be like this.

MikeyC

I don't want to sound like I have so much inspirational information to tell a story with, but I can only say that the depression was so bad that it's hard to even get out of bed every day. If I didn't work, I'd sleep in every morning.

I graduated late, because I had to drop out in grade 10. But going back was nearly impossible, and also doing the work, all due to depression.

And many other basic things have been extremely hard to achieve. Right now I just feel helpless, and like my life is just going through a endless road to nowhere. Living alone is the worst thing you can do to yourself, and so here I am. But I am going to try my best for the future.

I have to keep realizing that I got to grind to achieve. But it's just so ****ing hard. I relax too much. The depression is just so severe, and I don't want to even try meds because they make me feel even worse. I like having a clear mind.

So I'm 25 now, and it's just ****ing bullshit that life has to be like this.
Despite the big depression you feel, it does seem like you've made a small amount of headway towards becoming the person you want to be, right? You have the will to achieve what you want, but it seems to me that you don't know where to start. Break up the end result into smaller chunks and do it bit by bit, starting with the easier stuff, and see how that works for you. :)

I greatly understand the restrictions depression puts on people, but it takes just that one spark of knowing that you can't continue living life the way you have been and you'll be on your way to achieving those goals you once found impossible.

Odo

Banned
In the past, it was mostly a fear of having regrets, peer pressure, desperation, etc... a lot of negative motivations that pushed me to do things but I never actually stopped to ask myself whether or not I was happy. It was more like I would see other people's reactions and think that I must be happy because I was doing some things that would make other people happy.

But now I think it's more about just doing whatever makes me happy.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
for me i guess it was dying with regrets.
And my number one regret - or fear - was dying without seeing other parts of the world.
It motivated me to get off my lazy a*s*s and do something about it.

voodoochild16

Despite the big depression you feel, it does seem like you've made a small amount of headway towards becoming the person you want to be, right? You have the will to achieve what you want, but it seems to me that you don't know where to start. Break up the end result into smaller chunks and do it bit by bit, starting with the easier stuff, and see how that works for you. :)

I greatly understand the restrictions depression puts on people, but it takes just that one spark of knowing that you can't continue living life the way you have been and you'll be on your way to achieving those goals you once found impossible.

Yeah, that's definitely what it takes. And that's the reality too. I don't understand where people get their motivation sometimes. I just wish I had it in me. For some reason, I felt so much more capable of doing things when living with someone, but of course living with my parents was taking a toll on them. I really wasn't kicked out, I just felt pressured to leave. I didn't really want to leave. I just wanted to stay until I made enough progress that I'd be able to leave without any regrets and knowing I'd be okay on my own. But I'm not, right now, and in the past year and some months. It's really bad, I've got to do something.

But I do remember the mindset I had from when I did actually start doing something about graduating, despite it just graduating. If you think about it, it's nearly impossible for people to go back. Luckily, I only needed to do the "essential" levels of grade 11 and grade 12 courses and I only got passing marks just enough to get my GED. If I need to go back and upgrade for a specific course if a certain grade is not good enough, I will.

But my mindset in 2011 was simply, "I've wasted 3 years and haven't achieved anything so I must do something now, and then I will be able to focus on other things that I want to do". But after I grad'd, it was like my brain needed a huge break and couldn't take so much grinding, I don't know of a different way of explaining it.

But any ways, normally I was a guy who couldn't really push himself, and I just felt like I needed to put in that much more effort to grad. When I did grad, I didn't tell anyone, I didn't celebrate. And while 3 years before that, all my peers had their partying and celebrations with family and friends. It was nothing for me.

And everything else in high school that most outgoing people experience, and college life, I missed out on. I know I am not alone here in this forum though. Since I can't go back in time and be outgoing and relive the experience, I am better off just staying alive for now and trying to do something with my life.