what does it mean to care?

JamesSmith

it's all about furthering genes... you care for others because consciously or unconsciously you think they will further your chances of passing on your genes.

But what about homosexual people? They can't pass their genes unless they have sex with the opposite sex.

eek

But what about homosexual people? They can't pass their genes unless they have sex with the opposite sex.

One thought is homosexuality furthers social interaction between entities that would otherwise not interact and cooperate. Ie boy A and girl A are a couple. Boy B and girl B are a couple. Boy A and Boy B are homosexuals-- this now means the two families now can cooperate, and if either or both have children their chance of survival is increased.

Another though is that you are indirectly spreading your genes. In some birds, boy bird A sleeps with boy bird B spreading A's genetic material on B, boy bird B then sleeps with girl bird C. Girl bird C sometimes gets impregnated by A (a small percentage). It is survival strategy like any else.

Yet another thought is it allows an individual to get help with raising offspring--- ie by being bisexual there are now 2 female 'whatever' to raise the child.

It still all comes down to passing on your genes.

da_illest101

I understand what you mean. I don't think it's possible to care about everyone, but like you, i go about my business but don't wish harm on anyone except for those who deserve it. I just don't care about bonding with everyone but i do care about those i have a bond with

Metal_isthe_Answer

I have trouble with this too, people tell me things about what they did over the weekend, or what type of horrible thing happened to them, and I have a really hard time feeling positive or negative. Its kind of a "you met someone, thats great..." or "your moms n the hospital? And Im supposed to do what?"

Shant

Somewhat... but not exactly. I actually have quite a bit of empathy, which I'm trying to get back, as emotions are something I've tried to suppress for the longest time, convinced that emotions are a bad thing. Likely due to my technical father not really all that supportive of my emotions or calling them annoying. Bullying couldn't have helped, either. Being empathic or emotional, by trying to suppress that, I end up with no personality. Being a guy, as well, combined, doesn't really make me feel better about myself.

However, I don't understand the concept of "love". I just have never felt it. I guess I don't love anyone? I don't really do anything out of love. That's one "emotion" I don't have, and I don't really care about not having it.

bloveless

oh wow op I have the same problem.
I don't feel love, happiness and other good stuffs.
I only feel sadness sometimes. Sad that I can't love or be loved by people. But then that sadness goes away and I turn empty again.

Dead

I understand you. I can't connect either. When people are sad are try to avoid them if they look for help from me because I honestly don't know how to respond. When people are in love I don't know how to treat them, just avoid really. When people want advice I honestly have none to give. When people I know die I just don't care because I don't know really what it means to care. I was brought up in a very loving family but for the life of me I don't think I'd be heart broken if any of them died... I don't think I'd even be sad. So I don't understand how people would be sad if I killed myself? It doesn't make sense. Once someone is gone... well, that's just one less person in my life

awww philly im glad im that 1% you do care about, *sigh* *sniffles* ::p:

I have to say, arent we all the same way about people we dont know and havent met? I dont mean to say AT ALL don't care. I do charity work for the unfortunate and ill. I care somewhat.

Last edited:

JosephG

I have been experiencing problems with lack of empathy a lot lately! I think about the people I should love: friends, family, my dog - and I feel nothing for them. I know I do deep down - if anything happened to them I know that I would be devastated but there's no "gut feeling" of love or anything that I used to feel when I was younger. It's horrible. I used to be so empathetic. I often get scared at how cold and empty I feel sometimes and look for signs in my life that I still do feel emotion.

I blubbered like a baby for the last half hour of Lord of The Rings the return of the king. and when I see disadvantaged people/or disabled people on TV or in life I often feel very upset for them. and of course I do feel happy..... occasionally. so I do feel things... just not often.

but I think this apathy thing is caused by depression. It blocks out all your daily feelings - but I think there is a way to get them back. I just don't know how to do it yet.. or at least consistently!

I forgot to add, I don't know if your depressed but depression makes people feel like they don't care about anyone. Like if somebody was crying, the depression I know from experience as well that it was hard for me to care. Luckily, I don't have depression anymore.

redtear

I can relate. I am going into the medical field because I want to help people. Yet, somehow, even though I want to help, I can't seem to actually feel anything for them. The only patient I have managed to feel anything for was a comatose man. Probaly because he was, in fact, comatose!

But, I am able to care about people I get close to. There's not a lot of em, but they're there.

I'll be blunt. I don't care about 99% of you. Your first thought may very well be "what a douchebag" but it shouldn't be. By not caring about you I do not mean I wish you harm, or if you were bleeding on the street I would not help. What I mean is I have no emotions toward you at all.

+1

At least you're not another hypocrite.