What do women think about guys who make threads about what women think about?

Nathália

I agree with Mr Sunday.......

I am whatever I feel.
Clothes are clothes.
Colors are colors.
Things are things.
and People are people.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Whoah. Forgot I'd even made this thread. At the time (a year ago), there were several threads on the main page asking for the opinions of women on various subjects--and yes, there was a frequent tendency for them to degenerate into hating on the womenfolk, as is so annoyingly common around here.

Mostly it just irked me that people seemed to expect 'women' to answer with a single voice and have uniform opinions things.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Ah, those threads annoy me. It makes me feel that people are speaking for me, assuming they know more about me than myself and I hate it :1

bleach

Banned
I can read any thread in any forum and tell the male and female posters apart with 100% accuracy... if you cannot do this you are either autistic or solipsistic

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
^By that are you implying that women really are all alike, or is this just a precursor to introducing us to your party trick of guessing peoples' sex, weight, and height?

bleach

Banned
^By that are you implying that women really are all alike, or is this just a precursor to introducing us to your party trick of guessing peoples' sex, weight, and height?

I wouldn't say that any group is"all alike" but it is obvious that men and women have different modes of thinking and interests which are easily discernable even throug a medium where you cannot see or hear the other person

for example you and beleza both have horror-themed avatars and an autistic could look athis and conclude you are similar people with similar interests, even though there is a world of difference between them... crazy looking nonhumanoid Lvecraft monster vs sensual vampiress... one is a very male choice, the other is very female

KiaKaha

Banned
It kind of goes both ways though - both men and women generalize the opposite sex - thinking of them as one single mass entity, rather than as individuals.

You can just scour around the web for proof that both genders are constantly trying to figure one another out mostly because we cant understand each other - which leads to frustration....

and even though everyone should be regarded as individuals, there are still commonalities and general ideas that hold some degree of truth.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I wouldn't say that any group is"all alike" but it is obvious that men and women have different modes of thinking and interests which are easily discernable even throug a medium where you cannot see or hear the other person

for example you and beleza both have horror-themed avatars and an autistic could look athis and conclude you are similar people with similar interests, even though there is a world of difference between them... crazy looking nonhumanoid Lvecraft monster vs sensual vampiress... one is a very male choice, the other is very female

I'm not sure, my gender has been confused countless times on this forum, and I don't think there are that many autistic or solipsistic people here. I'm sure my avatar throws people off, but I doubt it is solely that fact.

Nathália

Right, because I don't like vampire movies or many horror films. I actually had a repulsive reaction towards vampires because the mainstream over did it with all of these vampires and werewolves. I just like the picture because I like the chick and it's fantasy art. I love black too. My crush was Edward scissor hands for sakes. I can really see how people can conclude things about me, I would think it too.

As I said before, things don't really reflect on me. One would have to know me. I'm and individual. I am who I feel and it's all apart of me. Everything I do does not need a label. I'm not confused, I think people are confusing themselves by thinking because a person likes a certain thing, they have to fit into a box.

Bo592

I'm tired of the stereotypes and discrimination between genders. You're never going to understand how another person thinks if you insist on shortcuts in an attempt to make the process easier . All you are doing is eliminating possibilities for yourself, friendship or courtship, by seeing one aspect and making a judgement.

Get to know the person! Man or woman, you might just get along with them. Most of this friendship you see today is shallow and lacks any real love or attachment. It's a game of facetiousness. Just be yourself, and stop trying to conform to a preset standard.

I agree with being yourself but the trouble is that being myself. Myself is not ever going to speak to a girl the ability to socialize is just not in me. loneyless is not an emotion that I want to deal with for the rest of my life. :question:

Kiwong

I think that concerns about the opposite sex and romantic relationships are a big issue for many sufferers of social anxiety.

this_portrait

I just ignore topics like that now. More often than not, the assumptions don't apply to me, and I'm in no mood to sift through back-and-forth arguments about what each gender supposedly thinks and feels based solely on biology and environment.

thegunners21

I agree with being yourself but the trouble is that being myself. Myself is not ever going to speak to a girl the ability to socialize is just not in me. loneyless is not an emotion that I want to deal with for the rest of my life. :question:

"Be yourself" is one of the worst pieces of advice I've ever heard.

Corrina

Do you feel they categorize 'women' as a single, mass entity?

Does it feel like you're being stereotyped?

Do you feel that the OP will still get useful information regardless?

Do you think these threads are just silly sometimes?

These are important questions and I need to know!

:confused:

As a quick, honest answer to your question, yes, I do get offended sometimes when men wonder why "all women" are like this or if "all women" do that. It does make me feel as if those men view females as a monolith rather than as individuals with unique interests and personalities.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
^ To me, it feels more as if they're refering to dogs.

"Why do dogs bark?"

"Why do dogs sniff each other's butts?"

"Why do dogs wag their tails?"

"Why do women paint their nails?"

Women are viewed as aliens, pets, property, groceries. Not actual people. When you aren't viewed as actual people, you ain't gonna be treated like an individual with your own unique interests and personality.

thegunners21

They are. But in this forum in particular, I don't see that many comments about it.

I'd argue that this one of the few websites where there is some mutual respect b/w the two sexes. Usually interent forums are extremely misogynist or misandrist.

Also, people on internet tend to exaggerate a lot. "That girl was not interested in me" becomes "That girl is the rudest bitch ever".

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Also, people on internet tend to exaggerate a lot. "That girl was not interested in me" becomes "That girl is the rudest bitch ever".

Is it bad that I suddenly thought that, if we had no strict rules, some users here would totally speak like that? :question: